Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 22)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newcomer here, just read the 9 pages of dialog on this topic - and I thought I'd add some liquid petrochemicals to the fire.

Do we have any experienced 3d modelers in the group? Most of the vessel types involved in the Battle of Wolf 359 appear to be established types - with a few "kitbashes" included in the mix. So...

After downloading the official ones, and 3d cut-&-pasting a few more (which would allow a role for the nit-pickers who know what model pieces were utilized), it would it be possible to reconstruct the junkyard, using as many different parallax-views as possible. By rotating the POV, the 3d modeller could make sure that the layout does not conflict with the known screenshots. Then, by placing/rotating the 3d models, we could slowly eliminate the unknowns - or at least identify same AS unknowns.

This project (once cleaned-up and rendered) would probably be of value to Mr. Okuda (who might use it in his book) - and it would be a fan-generated piece of research which could serve as a pay-back for his many contributions and patience. For an insight into the rabid fanaticism of techo-fans, he could include the text of this 9 page discussion.

It would also allow fans to see the junkyard from several POV's - the only way to actually visualize a 3d space properly (although I would certainly love to have the finished 3d file for viewing).

Given proper assistance (X/Y/Z coordinates, Pitch/Rool/Yaw values, scale, etc), this could be done fairly easily.

And an animated rotating movie file of same would be so fine!

I'd love to help out.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sniiiiiiif* *sigh*

If only you knew how much I hate hate hate hate HATE being wrong... Yes, "Future Imperfect" is season 4. For whatever reason, I had remembered it as being a couple episodes after "The Survivors". Still, that Nebula-Melbourne is seen even more clearly than the wreck in "BoBW".

But yes, we have more canon and semi-canon Excelsiors than any other ship class. I can put up a list of what we have so far -- including the problematic ones.

As for the timing. The Hathaway was launched in 2285, with a registry of NCC-2593. Even allowing for lengthier construction time, the Repulse (NCC-2544) and Roosevelt (NCC-2573) should be complete or nearly so by the time of the events of Star Trek IV. I also believe that an Excelsior-class Yorktown was being prepared for the crew of the old Constitution-class Yorktown that was shortly to be renamed Enterprise -- and that this is the Yorktown Tuvok refers to his parents serving on at the time of the events in ST VI.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-2000
U.S.S. Repulse NCC-2544
U.S.S. Berlin NCC-14232
U.S.S. Fearless NCC-14598
U.S.S. Potemkin NCC-18253
U.S.S. Malinche NCC-38997
U.S.S. Gorkon NCC-40521
U.S.S. Fredrickson NCC-42111
U.S.S. Cairo NCC-42136
U.S.S. Charleston NCC-42285
U.S.S. Hood NCC-42296
U.S.S. Lakota NCC-42768
U.S.S. Valley Forge NCC-43305
U.S.S. Crazy Horse NCC-50446
U.S.S. Melbourne NCC-62043
U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B

possible Excelsiors
U.S.S. Roosevelt NCC-2573
U.S.S. Okinawa 13958
U.S.S. Lexington NCC-14427
U.S.S. Tecumseh NCC-14934
U.S.S. Livingston NCC-34099
U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-38907
U.S.S. Crockett NCC-38955
U.S.S. Grissom NCC-42857
U.S.S. Al-Batani NCC-42995
U.S.S. Farragut

bold = no onscreen-evidence AFAIK

BTW: I've read the theory that the Flashback-Yorktown is an Excelsior-class vessel on other websites too. Is this just an assumption or was there anything in the script, etc.?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 15, 2001).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I doubt it. Yorktown could be ANY class. So could Shepard (you never proved why she was an Oberth).

But why did you bold some of those names and registries?

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
At the start of BoBW(I forget which episode,1 or 2) what was the class and name of the ship which brought the Admiral to meet the Enterprise? Was this same ship offered to Commander Riker?
There was a Nebula class starship in DS9's first episode, it along with an Ambassador class ship moved to try and rescue the Saratoga. This might've been the destroyed Galaxy class saucer seen on the Enterprise viewscreen.

JDW

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting developments here (and we have reached page 10, I repeat, we have page ten!)...

That 3D debris field would be a nice thing, except that of course the various shots of it in "BoBW2" do not quite match each other. Or then the supposedly dead ships moved around a lot between shots. Still, certainly a worthwhile project. Any takers?

The Yorktown is such a venerable name that it would make sense to give it to a relatively prominent vessel. If not an Excelsior, then possibly a Constellation.

By "Frame of Mind", it seems there's a new Yorktown in service (or at least Riker fantasized that name out of *somewhere*). But her high registry leaves plenty of room for a Constellation Yorktown, an Excelsior Yorktown and finally an Ambassador Yorktown in between...

Did we really see a Galaxy saucer in "BoBW"? There was a Nebula wreck, but with the other components attached. And in "Emissary", we saw two Nebulas - one intact ship, as you say, and one wreck recycled from "BoBW2". Neither of those could be mistaken for a Galaxy, though.

And there was a separate saucer in "BoBW2", but not of Galaxy type as far as we could tell. Apparently it was a Constitution saucer thrashed for ST3 originally.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Treknophiliac: About the junkyard-reconstruction, if you promise to first finish that proposed fully 3d Trek-galaxy-with-major-powers, I promise to take you seriously.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Treknophiliac: About the junkyard-reconstruction, if you promise to first finish that proposed fully 3d Trek-galaxy-with-major-powers, I promise to take you seriously."

1) I do tend to work on more than one project at a time (It hurts! It hurts!)

2) Although I do possess a 3d program, I was hoping to entire someone with greater skills (Black Knight?) to assist/take over the helm on this one. Also, we would need listings from everybody else, as well as sketches showing the battle scene from 3 axis (Show POV, X-axis, Z-axis). The idea was for a collaborative effort - not a one man show.

Sirius-ly (sic)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did offer the only data I can regarding the class of the Shepard -- behind-the-scenes information from Star Trek IV. I don't remember where, but if you REALLY REALLY want me to I can spend the next week going through every bit of Trek documentation I have looking for it.

The boldfaced stuff in Fitz' rundown were things we didn't actually see onscreen, information that was supplied by Encyclopediae and the like. I've also seen a different registry for the Potemkin -- NCC-8253. Actually, my list reads:

Excelsior NCC-2000
Repulse NCC-2544
Roosevelt NCC-2573
Enterprise NCC-1701-B
[Potemkin NCC-8253]
Okinawa NCC-13958
Berlin NCC-14232
Lexington NCC-14427
Fearless NCC-14598
Tecumseh NCC-14934
[Potemkin NCC-18253]
Livingston NCC-34099
Intrepid NCC-38907
Crockett NCC-38955
Malinche NCC-38997
Gorkon NCC-40512
Frederickson NCC-42111
Cairo NCC-42136
Kongo NCC-42173
Charleston NCC-42285
Hood NCC-42296
Lakota NCC-42768
Grissom NCC-42857
Al-Batani NCC-42995
Valley Forge NCC-43305

Plus the problematic Crazy Horse and Melbourne -- which I disbelieve. :-)

As for the Yorktown, Gene and Paramount stand by the E-A being the Constitution-class Yorktown renamed, but four years later Tuvok's parents were serving on a ship named Yorktown. I don't think it would be anything less than a Constellation or an Excelsior, and I find the Excelsior a more likely candidate for the Yorktown name.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all we know, this other Yorktown could be a class we haven't even seen or heard of.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonah: Where did you get the Kongo from? The only thing I've heard about that ship was that it was one of the original Constitutions, and even that info was sketchy.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would make sense if all the Constitution (refits) were retired and their names given to the next class laike the Excelsior. Enterprise, Hood, Lexinton etc.

So assuming that th Yorktown was a Constitution (refit) and then renamed Enterprise because another Yorktown was being built, then it makes sense.
------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited February 16, 2001).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonah

I would like to know the source of the information for the USS Shepard as an Oberth Class Scout and the USS Kongo NCC-42173.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Tuvok's parents were already on board a Yorktown as of Star Trek VI. I seriosuly doubt that the Yorktown mentioned in ST IV was a Excelsior. So it would have had to have been destroyed, and a new one built between IV and VI. Which could have happened, I suppose. Still...

I always liked the idea that the Ent-B was only the second Excelsior-class one. After the Excelsior, they did a "variation", and waited to see which was the most successful, efficient, whatever. Then they deceided to build the rest of them.

Of course, the Lakota buggers that up.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they found both variants to work to optimal standards, and gave the contract for the different variants to two different construction yards? One of those yards (the one doing the Lakota/Enterprise-B variant) was later switched over to working on a new class of ship, while the other continued the other variant (of which we've seen so much of) for many, many, many more years.

Hmmm. Does anyone think Starfleet still produces new Excelsior-Class vessels anymore?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps