Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Display! Yay! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TOS Display! Yay!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm working on my TOS computer display skills [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, that graphic kicks ass! [Eek!]

Would you be so kind as to tell me which font you're using? I've got something similar, but it's a fan-designed font that doesn't work well at small sizes...

Just for comparison, here's a TOS-style map I did a few months back, in anticipation of someone doing a TOS-era "You're the Admiral!" game at some point. I ended up using the TUC movie font, which looks a little out of place, but it's okay. For now, anyway. (That's why I'd like something better. [Wink] )

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/Admiral_TOS_Template.jpg

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad, I like the map!

However it's a little chaotic, even for a DCARS display. Try pulling things a little closer together, lineing up the buttons with the text and maybe expanding the map a little.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The font is Impact. Yes. Standard, oh-please-god-why-do-people-use-it, Microsoft Impact. Part of the Windows fonts, IIRC. I did change the spacing a bit though (in CorelDraw, word-spacing to 150% and character spacing to 25, IIRC). And the colors are blue, red, Kentucky Green and yellow + one ctrl+click of red.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impact, eh? I've got that... it's not a great font, but it actually looks okay there. I'll see what I can do with it. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
(That's why I'd like something better. [Wink] )

That reminds me, I was going to post this for you ages ago, but I lost track of the thread and got distracted by something else. Better late than never.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Love the button with 1337 on it [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
That reminds me, I was going to post this for you ages ago, but I lost track of the thread and got distracted by something else. Better late than never.

Um... ummm... holy cow! Now THAT'S a nice chart there! [Eek!]

Damn, now I'll have to rework mine all over again... [Razz]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, you all are showing exquisite taste by using my ships!
 -

Here's the font suggested by Geoff Mandel. It's called Alternate Gothic. I have a Type I Mac font that came bundled with CorelDraw, but I usually use TrueType. I've found some vendors from whom you can purchase this font, but would rather find a free version somewhere...

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Kilrathi homeworld... Kilrah? Just checking... [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Could be. Never played Wing Commander [Smile]

I'll have to check my CorelDRAW CD for that font... I'm sure either that or Futura was on one of 'em.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I must say, you all are showing exquisite taste by using my ships!

Hey, one of mine is in there too! [Razz]

quote:
Here's the font suggested by Geoff Mandel. It's called Alternate Gothic. I have a Type I Mac font that came bundled with CorelDraw, but I usually use TrueType. I've found some vendors from whom you can purchase this font, but would rather find a free version somewhere...

How's this?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... "U.S.S. Lillian Sloane". Nice.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Thanks to Kris and Masao for pointing that font out. Very nice one!

And here's my own map again, redesigned to use those icons like TOS really did, with the ship diagrams off to the side.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/sector_zeta_tos_2.jpg

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It's a little redundant now, but I knocked this together to show the differences in the fonts.
Bear in mind that I've altered the letter spacing to mor closely match the original.

Some notes on Minuteman's map:-
  • If you make the grid 20x20 squares then you won't need a pixel-to-light year scale bar.
  • Assuming you're using Mandel's star charts as reference then you might have missed the fact that the Azure nebula does cross the Klingon/Federation border. Which is probably why Sulu attempted to use it to sneak across the border and why Kang was in there waiting.
  • I take it that you're assuming that the Epsilon monitoring stations are fairly new at the time of TMP and was not around during the TOS-era? Since once again Mandel's charts has #10 sat near the nebula (probably to keep an eye on the border) and I see you didn't include it on your map.

quote:
LOL... "U.S.S. Lillian Sloane". Nice.
I'm assuming that history still records her as being Zeph's co-pilot, if not I'm sure she flew in other flights and contributed enough to humanity to desereve some recognition.
Plus we very rarely see any ships named after women...which is a little strange when you consider that a crew seams to usually refer to their ship as "her".

P.S. I'm pretty sure that I got the sector & quadrant numbers correct, going by the Starcharts' system that is. (very handy book that, incase you didn't notice [Wink] )

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps