Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Miscellaneous Stuff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Stuff
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to get a few things of my chest, but they're really not worth their own threads.

Starship Design, issue 16
This was a pointless but fun excercise. I just got the Starship Design 'book' that day 8)

Potemkin, movie era markings
Actually, I believe this was done on the same day..

Anton-class
A recent WIP. I'm currently (slowly) redoing all my fandom schematics, using my all new Casimir-derived Constitution schematics. I tried my hand at the Anton, concentrating on making it slightly less ugly. It's still pretty weird though. That's why I'd like it to be a one-off frigate prototype.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bueatiful Anton rendering: I always prefered the TMP era version though....with Phase II nacelles though.

Even think of makinga Chandley? I'm on a CHandley modeling kick just now and have re-fallen in love with this bullfrog of a super-frigate.
See: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1227830&uid=657989

Me have Illustrator CS to install today.
Soon me am good drawer like you. [Smile]
Mabye I make a Chandley...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ye Gods, the Chandley is an abomination...

(...and so is the Anton.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey the new banners and markings on the Connie class make this design more 'accessible' to me - sorta brings it closer in-line with all the other ship's we've known - without having to add more hull detail or panelling etc etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, "Tiberian" should probably be "Tiburonian" or something. Dr. Sevrin was from Tiburon. Tiberia is where bats come from.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Ye Gods, the Chandley is an abomination...

(...and so is the Anton.)

BLASPHEMER!
I love the frog....er....Chandley!
Those "shoulderpads" are barracks for starfleet marines.
The ship knocks down an enemy's shields, mass transports 50-100 marines over and takes their ship by force.
Good for all sorts of fun, really.
Something Starfleet would have re-commisioned during Cardassian and Dominion wars.

The Anton originally (in FASA) looks like this:
http://www.sub-odeon.com/stsstcsmua/federation/anton.html

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My statement stands.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Far better than the FJ or SFB designs to be certain.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix Merrick
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Phoenix Merrick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, I'm not sure if you noticed but your Chandley Frigate looks more like a Strike Carrier. Which still fits with the FASA concept.

--------------------
Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah...the Chandley is really a bruiser for a supposed "frigate".
It's stats far outshine a Connie Refit in later models.

I like the "strike carrier" concept for that era though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

"Better than the FJ designs"? Surely you jest, Sir. The FJ designs are great. They showed that Starfleet would build ships efficiently, using a set of modular components rather than outlandish new hull configurations that were wildly different across classes.

FASA's general design ethic seems to have been to take a bizzare, unfamiliar shape and slap a saucer on the front of it and somehow attach some nacelles. No sense there, at all. Hate them. All of them. Will kill them. Bloodily.

And yes, SFB ships were terrible. But what can you expect from the 13-year-olds desigining the game in their garages and living rooms? The historically-popular fandom stuff is all crap.

--------------------

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those images look really good. A bit more creative licence to the Aurora would not harm I think [Wink]

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet theory concerning the Aurora is that it is a Tholian hull. The Tholians sold a number of their hulls to intermediary X (Orions, Nyberrite, whatever) and Tiburon bought a number of these (empty) hulls and transformed them into corvettes.

The rather 'Earthly' name of Aurora is due to the pilot being a space hippy. And space hippies are like, one step below evil alien nazis.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
"Better than the FJ designs"? Surely you jest, Sir. The FJ designs are great. They showed that Starfleet would build ships efficiently, using a set of modular components rather than outlandish new hull configurations that were wildly different across classes.

FASA's general design ethic seems to have been to take a bizzare, unfamiliar shape and slap a saucer on the front of it and somehow attach some nacelles. No sense there, at all. Hate them. All of them. Will kill them. Bloodily.

And yes, SFB ships were terrible. But what can you expect from the 13-year-olds desigining the game in their garages and living rooms? The historically-popular fandom stuff is all crap.

THe FJ designs lack all common sense: on the Saladin, there'd be no room for engineering and crew: so much for "modular efficentcy! [Wink]
They look exactly like what they are: cheap cut and paste rearrangments of the AMT model that kids could build at home from parts and scraps: it made them instantly popular but not very practical.
It's silly to think that dozens of races would consent to use five or modular six ship designs when they probably had fleets of their own prior to joining the Federation.
The FASA stiff makes sense because the times changed (to the TMP era) and the Fed designs should have changed accordingly as new member races were brought into the fold.
Nothing is lamer than the constant re-use of the TOS and FJ designs in into the DS9 era: it's not as though the humans of Starfleet ship design could/would shut out all other cultural influences.
Some of FASA's designs are Andoriuan in origin and that explains the more radical concepts (like the Thurfir and Andor classes).

The SFB stuff is indeed terrible and it's all (highly) derivitive of the FJ stuff.
TOS ships just dont lend themselves to diversity when they all use the exact same parts. [Wink]

rearrangments

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Hey. This is the DAC forum. And it's my thread. So no FJ-bashing in here!

There's no rule that says starships should look pretty. Take the Baton Rouge, Anton and Chandley for example. They look horrible, but they have a special place in the Trek legacy.

The most ridiculous designs ever IMHO are the TNG Officer's Manual things created by FASA. Only God knows what the hell was going on there.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps