Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 15)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose Courscant may very well be derived from Trantos.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
er...Trantor actually (my crappy typing there, sorry).
The way it's shown in te preqiels is exactly as the capital of the Galactic Empire from Foundation is described.
A planet completely covered with cities untill even the nightside is visible from space for all the lights.

I really hope- in the event a Foundation movie is ever made, that ILM does the effects, so they can use the same CGI files.
It looked great.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah, but Trantor was all underground with hardly anything happening on the surface at all. What we see of Coruscant suggests the whole surface is just buildings separated by streets.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's an issue of succession (as in "forest growth succession"): at times, the planet is all covered over with buildings, then tall spires emerge atop the cover, then streets are laid between the spires, then this grows into another impenetrable layer of urban engineering, until new spires emerge...

(BTW, does Coruscant still have seas and polar icecaps? It's a bit hard to tell from the visuals, without DVD stop-motion reference. Trantor did away with those...)

In any case, Trantor may be an archetype, but I'm not quite convinced it's the earliest one. Certainly it got plenty of intermediate successors before Lucas came along. My favorite is Galactopolis from Syd Jordan's "Jeff Hawke" comics, lovingly rendered in classic riveted-and-perforated-steel shapes.

Timo Saloniemi

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Wikipedia entry for Coruscant

quote:
The concept of a city covering an entire planet is not entirely new. The planet Trantor in Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels is probably the first fictional planet to be totally urbanized, but it was not the last. Indeed, one of the draft names of Coruscant was "Jhantor", in homage to Asimov's work. Trantor was entirely covered in city except for 100 square kilometers devoted to the gardens of the Imperial Palace; the same is stated to be true of Coruscant in Shadows of the Empire.

And, from an essay about Star Wars:

quote:
While he was completing his final touches on American Graffiti in February 1973, Lucas started sketching rough ideas for his film. He wrote every morning, and spent his afternoons and evenings researching fairy tales, mythology and the writings of Joseph Campbell (in particular, The Hero With a Thousand Faces) and Carlos Castaneda notably Tales of Power). He also consumed every work of science fiction, from the classics of the genre by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Alex Raymond to the more contemporary tales of Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and Arthur C. Clarke. But George knew that he was much more of a conceptualist than a writer, and admitted to having great difficulty getting his ideas down on paper. He was still struggling with those ideas when he first met Ralph McQuarrie, an illustrator for Boeing Aircraft who had also worked for NASA, and asked him for suggestions how to visualize his concepts for the screen.

When his first $10,000 check from 20th Century-Fox arrived in September 1973, George was hard at work on a script. "I was fascinated by the futuristic society, the idea of rocket ships and lasers up against somebody
with a stick," he later commented, but he still had problems fleshing out the characters. Lucas looked everywhere for ideas for Star Wars and borrowed very liberally from his sources. The major influence on his writing was Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon serials. Light bridges, cloud cities, space swords, blasters, video screens, medieval costumes and aerial battles were all lifted from the crude serials of the thirties. From Asimov's Foundation trilogy, he incorporated ideas dealing with political intrigue on a galactic level; from Frank Herbert's Dune, notions of rare spices (ultimately dropped), galactic traders and spacing guilds and a desert planet; from Edgar Rice Burroughs's John Carter of Mars, banthas and huge flying birds (also discarded); from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman saga came his notions about the Jedi knights and the Force. He also borrowed ideas from his own THX 1138, including the robot policeman (who became stormtroopers) and the underground dwellers (Jawas). Star Wars would be derivative of every great science fiction theme and yet, at the same time, would remain completely original.

From what I remember of reading the Foundation novels, I think Alderaan appears in it, only with a different spelling.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember anything like an Alderaan in them. Aldebaran?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. There was a planet with a name that reminded me of Alderaan.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Aldebaran is a real star, so anything based on that would hardly count.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think Timothy Zahn coined the name "Courscant" in the Heir To The Empire novels (which Lucas actually read/ revised and approved of before they could be published).
I'd never heard anything about it before then, but I suppose it might have existed in the West End Games RPG.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised Lucas had time to make Star Wars while "consuming every work of science fiction." I suppose prior to making Raiders of the Lost Ark he read every commentary on the Torah ever written, and for Willow he founded an offshoot of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn to better learn about magic.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember any planets with names similar to Alderaan in Foundation. There was a Korellia.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I'm surprised Lucas had time to make Star Wars while "consuming every work of science fiction." I suppose prior to making Raiders of the Lost Ark he read every commentary on the Torah ever written, and for Willow he founded an offshoot of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn to better learn about magic.

Lucas is a God according to may Star Wars sites and he planned every aspect of all six movies while still in the womb.

....hey, it's still not as crazy as Scientology.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Wikipedia, the Foundation series has a planet called "Anacreon", but that's the closest it seems to come. And that's certainly not very close.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I was all fired up to transcribe the lyrics to that bawdy hit of the Old Republic, "To Alderaan in Heaven," but it is way too hard to do.

quote:
The news through CORUSCANT immediately flew;
When PALPATINE pretended to give himself Airs
"If these rebels are suffer'd their Scheme to persue,
"Lord Vader a Daughter may spy above the Stairs.
"Hark, already they cry,
"In transports of Joy,
"Away to the Sons of ALDERAAN we'll fly,
"And there, with good Fellows, we'll learn to entwine
"Midichlorians of LEIA with MON MOTHMA'S Spine.

(Spine as in, like, willingness to stand up to the Empire, see.)
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very infpiring.
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps