Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Aegian Class Drawing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Aegian Class Drawing
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Alo, gents. I feel like it's been quite a while since I've contributed anything here... so here's a go at something interesting...

www.alanfore.com/Artwork/AegianClass2.gif

I've been trying to summon the energy to really dig into a new technical style drawng technique I'm trying to develop. I was inspired by all the conversation about the ships from Armada 2 a month or so ago and decided to try something with my fav of the two we talked about.

The finished drawing will be done in Verithin colored pencils on Bristol Board. It will feature lots of contruction lines and semi transparent areas... what you see above is just the layout drawing. I just took all the various elements I wanted to include, scanned them in, and arranged them in photoshop.

The rectangle next to the rank insignia is going to be a front view of a Bolian officer in an FC style uniform... I just haven't scanned it in yet.

The style is similar to the work of C. Bruce Morser. He did the cutaway posters that came with the ERTL Ent D and Ent A model kits. If I'm successful with this style, my next effort will be the Steamrunner Class (that's right Lee...the Steamrunner, baby!)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say a word!

But this new effort is very nice, I really like your style. Reminds me in some way of one of the artists who did a lot of work for 2000AD back in the 80's. . . Probably on something like The V.C.'s, Judge Dredd or maybe Rogue Trooper. Can't remember the name, it'll come to me eventually. Like Cam Kennedy, only better.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very VERY nice Aban. I have a glossy, embossed E-A cut away by that Artist... I'm assuming it's the same person - it is like how you've done your pic, with sketchs of different areas, the captain etc. etc.

I like that ship too... but is the deflector/dish/array too big!?! What about an E-E type dish... we've never really seen any other ship with a dish like that... unless the Akira and Sabre's dishes look like it (Something else that would make more sense if they were NEW ship designs).

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!! It's the same print.. the one I have has "limited Edition 95" embossed into the paper. Man, I love those drawings. If you look really closely at the cutaway of D-Deck, you can even see a little naked guy in the shower... it's hilarious.

Anyway... the deflector dish comes straight from screen caps from the game. I've made some small adjustments to the incredibly low res mesh, but I tried to keep the shape of everything pretty close.

*hoping that I can get a job doing some cool starship artwork for the instruction manuel for Armada 3*

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double points for style. Too many of us try to look like computers - your style makes one feel 'involved' with the ship.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! [Eek!] That's awesome work!

So how did you go about making this? I'd like to know as I'm considering either doing some stuff like this myself or commissioning someone to do it (for a non-Trek theme).

Um, one last question: the rank insignia's on the right - why have you only got 4 and what's their significance? Are they the ranks that are held by the senior staff?

Once again, excellent work - keep it up and I look forward to the upcoming updates and future projects.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a line art schematic? I thought of building a model in 2500th scale but have not found enough solid references.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice
Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent Aban, as always!

Lobo

[ October 10, 2002, 09:53: Message edited by: Lobo ]

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Alan. I'm wondering, do you just eyeball your perspective drawings with a few vanishing points or do you actually lay out the perspective from schematics? I've done the later for a few ships, but it was so frustrating that I stopped doing perspective drawings.

Is Aegian named after the sea? Should be "Aegean"

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm... Asymetrical bridge design...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Wow... good question all. Let's see...

1) It's spelled "Aegian" in every reference I've seen, though I agree that it's probably a mistake.

2) What you see at the link I posted is a Photoshop composite of several individual drawings I did. I used Photoshop to get the design right before laying down the final drawing. I looked on the internet and found as many reference photos of the ship as I could and printed them out. I chose one to use as the main picture, projected it onto the drawing paper, and traced off a rough outline of the ship. The perspective was pretty close already, but I added a VP to keep everything fairly straight. You can see several inaccuracies in the perspective.. but it's all in the ballpark.

3) I then went in a cleaned up the detail, changing quite a few things to make the low res mesh a more interesting and detailed ship. I did the same thing with the forward view. The escape pod (slightly modified) came out of the Encyclopedia. I found a side view of the shuttle on line. And for Commander Patrick, I started with a stunning photo of Catherine Bell from "J.A.G." and altered the details quite a bit. I loves a woman in uniform.

4) The rank insignia: The CO of this ship is a Lt. Commander in rank (I figure this ship is a science / cargo / support vessel of some kind. Therefore, I assume that the officers under her (in a command sense) are Lt's and lower. I'm also assuming that there are alot of enlisted personnel on her crew. So I just showed the rank insignia for Lt., Lt. J.G., Ensign, and Chief Petty officer. The rectangle next to them will eventually be a front view of a Bolian in uniform... the chief engineer.

5) Is that all... ah...the bridge. I started with the Ent D's bridge and made it smaller. This entailed making the doors bigger and doing other things with the alcove for the aux turbo lift and Picrad's ready room entrance. I made it a "Cargo / Shuttle Ops" station. I then stuck the ready room off on the other side. Only one turbo lift for them... but I did give them an emergency egress hatch across the isle from the door to the observation lounge..

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe the ship is a frigate, not a cargo or science vessel, but i have no problem accepting a Lt Com as the "captain". great work, as always.
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Update... sort of. I've started work on the final, but there's still alot of white. I thought I would be able to scan it here at work and post it, but the scan came in all washed out. It's not picking up alot of the line work. I'll try to scan a couple of the individual elements when I go home for lunch.

I've got the Starfleet signage ribbon at the top done, as well as the type 10 shuttle craft and the rank insignia. I've also put a bunch of construction lines and fun little things in. The pencils are working pretty well on the Bristol Board. I'll try to get a scan in a few hours.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a frigate? It looks like a cargo hauler. And the saucer, someone thought it too BIG? If anything, it's too small.
However, it's nice with the Voy-Sov-Olympic design theme.
The nacelle type is ugly but that just goes with the Olympic class.

Maybe it could serve as an armed munitions transport, to the "frontlines" or to outlying deepspace installations in need of more torpedos and shit.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps