Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I need your dirt (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I need your dirt
Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an expatriate (i.e. an American who lives outside of the US because they were the first ones to actually offer me a job) who deals with U.S. customs on a fairly regular basis, I feel obliged to point out that it is probably illegal for you to mail "foreign" dirt into the United States without some sort of permit. I'd hate to see Charles carted off by armed postal inspectors (these are the post office guys who they actually GIVE guns to) charged with illegally importing and traffiking foreign soil.

Your tax dollars hard at work, my fellow Americans!

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on, even your POSTAL workers are armed? Hang on First, the days of librarians packing heat can't be far off.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if some already are considering what happens in schools these days.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No comment... *L*

'Tis a dead issue anyway. What little serious responses were received came through.

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dirt is on its way!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I said **I WASN'T** going to send you foreign soil... sheesh! Laugh please people...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent my dirt! *grin*
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, what makes me laugh is that fact that at the state border you get stopped to check that you aren't bringing the toads back south. Just in case you have a box of them or something. Did they ever for a moment consider that those things may just say, hop across the border?

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, yeah you have to be careful of some jerks doing such a thing - I think someone tried to in Newcastle - but I think the furtherest south I've heard that the cane toads have spread by themselves is to about Byron Bay and West to just over the NT/QLD boarder...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles, you might want to check. It might be illegal to bring dirt from other states into California.

I remember going on vacation with my family, and when we came back (we lived in CA), we told the border guard we were just coming back from a day-trip to Nevada, because we really had a trunk-full of pecans a relative had given us.

--Baloo

------------------
"Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonalds's makes you a hamburger."
--[Source unknown.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they don't know he trafficking soil, there's no problem. And if they do come after him and say "You can't bring dirt across state lines", all he needs to do is look at them like they're insane and slowly hand the dirt over to them. :-)

I mean, come on! Every car the drives across the border is going to have dirt on it! Do they lift your car up, sterilize it, and set it back down on the other side? I don't think so!

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has more to do with large quantities of it. If it has some organism that isn't indignous to the States in it then it could cause serious ecological damage. Just like the frogs in Auntraila.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I can see someone accidently getting a frog mixed in with their dirt.

The only organisms that are going to be in the dirt will be mircoscophic. And they get transported all over the globe with breathtaking speed, so I wouldn't worry about it.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but we're talking about California, here! They pass laws just to make a political statement!

Chico, in northern California, has a law on the books making it a misdemeanor to detonate a nuclear weapon within city limits. There's a $100 fine for violating it!

[Setting: we are within a darkened room, possibly a basement. Several men and women wearing black jeans, turtleneck sweaters, and berets are sitting around a table.]

Chief Terrorist (CT):
"Right! We have the nuke! Now all we need's a target."

Terrorist 2:
"Well, we can't detonate it in Chico, it's against the law!"

CT:
"What? When did they do that?"

Terrorist 3:
"I think it was in the late '70s or early '80s."

Terrorist 2:
"Yep! There's a $100 fine!"

CT:
"A hundred bucks? How much money we got?"

Treasurer [looks at accounts book]:
"Not much, I'm afraid. That bomb cost almost everrything we had."

CT:
"That settles it, then. We'll destroy Sacramento instead."

------------------
"Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonalds's makes you a hamburger."
--[Source unknown.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cupertino, CA, it's illegal to audibly count backwards in hexidecimal.

This also happens to be where Apple computers is headquartered.

Coincidence?

*WEG*

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps