Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Stuff you want to see in Flare2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Stuff you want to see in Flare2
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree totally Baloo. That is annoying.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the easy way around that is to not make the link be the URL. Just because you want to link to an address that's half-a-kilometer long doesn't mean that you have to print the whole thing to the screen. You can just print the word "link", and make it a link to a URL that stretches from here to Proxima Centauri.

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited May 07, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOPPS! about my thing being too long... description yeah... that right I just couldn't think of anything witty... hang on I'll change it now, but don't expect anything too... something...

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we get a free naked lady with every post? The better the post, the more attractive she is. The quality of the posts will be rated by a board of reviewers, consisting of me and my new friend, Flinky.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: That flat out Can't Be Done... The effect won't be as bad once we break out of 600 pixels, though.

Liam: Can't guarantee that.

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about pictures of big fat polyesther dinosaurs who are the colour of an International House of Pancakes with a paper plate over his head? (AAAAAIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta stop watching Animaniacs)

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yup, Ben you are definitly insane.

------------------
"You say don't fear your dreams, it's easier than it seems.
You say you'd never let me fall, from hopes so high.
But never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie." - Fiona Apple

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SFA has a lot of nifty stuff on their UBB. Perhaps we can do those things as well. What I especially like is when the site mentions the newest member to the site.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not adding any such fluff.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KISS!!!

Keep It Simple Stupid!
Don't let the SciFiArt-Forum effect strike here (a ridiculous amount of sub-, sub-sub- and sub-sub-subforumcategories where you can't find anything)

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this is down already but reactivating that "Today's Active Posts" link would be nice....

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't guarantee the free women? Does that mean you're not ruling it out?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

The Today's Active Posts and search system will be perfectly active.

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know what? I just wanna see Flare2.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UBB Weekly caught up with T_T on the set of his latest project, "Examarama"

UBBW: We've heard you've seen the board at SFA. What's you take on their "fluff," as Mr Capps has referred to it?
T_T: I think that place has always taken undue pride in every basement-dwelling would-be-Picasso that's registered at their site. The drawing of attention to their member count, the slapping on the back of the newest member, the continued references to their monthly hits. But to write everything they've done with their bulletin board off as excessive is a bit strong.

UBBW: Such as?
T_T: The who's online feature might come in handy once in a while around here. And I'd probably use private messages rather than emailing forumites.

UBBW: As a moderator, is there anything you think UBB's ought to have?
T_T: Auto-archiving. My fingers are so dead after moving a month's worth of Flameboard posts that I'd strangle Charles with them if they could move. But I've heard throught the grapvine that's he's procured the mysterious technology to implement this and is merely waiting until everything else for Flare2 is ready to go. Aesthically speaking, I'd like to simplify the moderating interface a lot. I'd have a simple "moderate" button on the bottom of each topic page which would bring up a pop-up box into which I'd punch in my username and password and submit. It would then display a unified little panel where I could lock, delete, move or archive the thread in question.

UBBW: Wow, you've given this some serious thought.
T_T: I've gone so far as to bug Charles to get rid of the little red X's in the first post of each thread because they serve as whole-thread-deleters and not single-post-deleters, which means they commit the cardinal sin of "appearing to be the same but not being the same." He had the audacity to tell me it couldn't be done. Hah!

UBBW: Well, isn't Charles meant to be know his stuff
T_T: He does, for the most part. I.. don't know if I should tell you this, though... he's struggled for years with style. I mean, at one point he was considering replacing icons with pastel multicolor <h6> text links. Agh! He may be a Sheep god, but he still shouldn't forsake the lowly icon.

UBBW: So, icons in Flare2?
T_T: Of course. Icons are the highest form of art.

UBBW: Speaking of style, what's you position on the controversial organic/boxy debate
T_T: Well, I'll obviously have to side against Frank. Organic all the way.

UBBW: Any other changes that come to mind?
T_T: I'd overhaul the thread date display thing. It doesn't jibe with the forum thread listing page splitting system.

UBBW: Huh?
T_T: Every thread in the forum that hasn't been archived should by default be displayed, just stuck a few pages back. You should be able to set from what date range threads appear on the first page of threads, but all the others should just have 50 or so all the way back to the point where they hit the archive.

UBBW: I think we got that.
T_T: I'd also like to add that if forums will continually shed threads to an auto-archiver, a thread count on the front page doesn't have much of a point.

UBBW: So, what exactly do you look for in a good-looking UBB?
T_T: How different it is from an unmodified UBB. The old logo to top-left, links & title to top-right formula is so ofer-done that the farther a forum gets from it, the better. That doesn't mean going to background images and over-complex icons.

UBBW: Again with the icons, eh?
T_T: (laughing) Yeah... I do have a bit of a thing for them, don't I?

Next week, UBB Weekly interviews Daryus Aden on implementing curry into UBB interfaces.

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited May 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited May 13, 2000).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps