Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » the price of gas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: the price of gas
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas went from $1.56 to $1.67 in a day here in southern Ohio. I was just wondering what the prices are everywhere else. (Americans use gallons, too)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US$1.56 per gallon? That's quite high, in my experience. Just across the border around here in NB (putting us in Maine, for the geographically challenged ), it's usually around US$1.05 to $1.20 (per U.S. gallon), IIRC.

But Fabrux may feel free to correct me; he lives slightly closer.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I bought gas (two days ago) the cheapest you could get it here was $1.48 a gallon. the average for the past year (and most recent years) was about $1.12.

And it's going higher. It's time to either:

1.) Repeal some gas taxes, which raise the price by about $0.25 cents a gallon on average.

2.) Withdraw military/financial support from certain OPEC nations, if they're the ones keeping the price up.

3.) Make some oil companies miserable, if it's their fault.

4.) All three.

And of course, we're long, long, LONG overdue for large-scale projects in solar power. (Which would certainly also help to make it easier and more worthwhile to accomplish the above.)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know anything about US gas prices, as I haven't been there in a while. However, I do know that the current price for Canadian gas around here is 77.9/litre or so.

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Near my house in Summerville, SC, are two stations across the street from one another, one charges $1.37 and the other $1.39. I've seen it as high as $1.49 in some areas.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited June 02, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1.81 in NW Indiana
$2.10 in Chicago

Only Hawaii has higher gass prices then Chicago...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's around $1.68 for 93 octane here. At least, down at the two Amocos on either side of the major corner I live near it is.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-- Adolph Hitler, 1933

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1.78 or so here.

------------------
"BAD KIKI! No karaoke in the house!"

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey First, can you say OFF-SHORE OIL DRILLING!?

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God... I still pay $1.59 for 92 premium at Costco! I thought that gas there was cheaper.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The price of gas in Clovis, NM:

Regular: $1.49/gal.
Mid-grade: $1.59/gal.
Premium: $1.69/gal.

The price is absolutely the same at every gas station in town, with the exception of the iconoclastic Texaco station nearby. They charge $1.33/gallon for regular, so that's the only place I buy my gas at.

I'm less disturbed at the rise in gas prices than I am at the seeming collusion between those who sell the stuff.

--Baloo

P.S.: This doesn't mean I like the price hike. I use 3 tanks of gas every 2 weeks (at 17 gallons, it isn't cheap!) The less it costs to commute, the more I have left for other expenses.

------------------
"Nice guys finish last? I'll say we do!
(Sometimes we last for hours.)"
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.68 for regular (Last week it was 1.49 on Wednesday, jumping up to 1.68.... Planned? Maybe.)

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas up here is around 75 cents a litre. Soon going up to 76 or 77.

First or two:
2.) Withdraw military/financial support from certain OPEC nations, if they're the ones keeping the price up.

3.) Make some oil companies miserable, if it's their fault.

Agreed.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sure, I can say 'offshore oil drilling.' watch.

"oil slick"
"toxic beaches"
"valdez"
"dead fish, birds, otters, etc."

nope, solar power is the way to go. Clean, cheap, near-infinite, and if you need more, just build another satellite and another recieving station out in the Mojave.

and of course, for our hawkish friends, the military aspects of such a program are intriguing... microwave Tripoli from orbit, anyone?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And exactly how many oil spills happen every year? And how much damage do they do? The only one of any major consequence I've heard of was Valdez, and it's almost cleaned itself up already. Pretty good for a job that was supposed to take decades.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-- Adolph Hitler, 1933

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps