Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have no place else to go with this (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no place else to go with this
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this guys. You just pick out little parts of our posts, mostly quotes and ask us if we are sure we said what we mean. Did you actually READ the stuff with an open mind? Hmm..

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You just pick out little parts of our posts, mostly quotes and ask us if we are sure we said what we mean."

That's correct. (Do you want to rescind anything you've said?)

"Did you actually READ the stuff with an open mind?"

When people talk about an "open mind," they're usually just angry that people have valid viewpoints that are different than their own.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you haven't tried something, you're really not in a position to comment on it are you?

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear in mind that I don't really care one way or another if someone puts him-/her-/itself at risk. If somebody wants to be stupid, that's their business. My problem is when they put other people in danger. My personal code of morals is mostly based upon the idea of what effect one's actions have on other people. That's the problem I have w/ alcohol. And, on a related note (people are gonna think I'm really screwed up now...), drugs and sex. In the case of alcohol and some other drugs, they effect in such a way that you'll do things you wouldn't normally do, or you won't have the same control over yourself as usual. You drive home, your reaction time is slowed, and you swerve after you run over the guy that was crossing the street in front of you. If you want to take your own well-being into your hopped-up hands, be my guest. But, if there's a chance you're going to negatively effect any of the other six billion people out there, don't even think about it.

BTW, I know the mention of sex up there seems out of place, but I think I'll skip explaining it, since that's not what this thread's about. Unless someone just has to know...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you haven't tried something, you're really not in a position to comment on it are you?"

Of course I am. I think it's safe to say that whoever made the laws against, say, suicide, or mass-murder, probably hadn't tried it him/herself.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, whoever made suicide illegal must have been an absolute twit. *LOL*

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Yes, but it's a good example.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders if conviction of suicide carries a death penalty...

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You drive home, your reaction time is slowed, and you swerve after you run over the guy that was crossing the street in front of you."

THIS always gets to me. Everytime I try and argue, someone comes up with the drink-driving thing. Now, I don't drink and drive. None of my friends do (in fact, none of my friends drive, but there you go), and actually, no-one I know drinks and drives. And the argument wasn't even about drink-driving. It was about drinking.

"Me: "It distorts your brain."
Liam: "What's wrong with that?"

Er, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think I'm saying "it lets you hids from your problems". I'm saying that there is nothing inherantly wrong with dostorting your brain to a mild degree. Come on, coffee does it. And according to most US sit-coms, half you medication seems to make you go floopy.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Regarding drinking and driving, more people drive more often in the US than in Europe. Thus, it's a bigger concern for people here.

"I'm saying that there is nothing inherantly wrong with dostorting your brain to a mild degree."

And I'm saying that there is, because it puts yourself and others at risk. Again, the question is why you really want to do this.

"Come on, coffee does it."

It does?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caffine is a stimulant, and therefore alters how you act, same way as alcohol.

Yeah, I know it's different, and silly. Sue me.

I'm still getting confused by this "putting people at risk thing". When I go to the pub, I don't start fights with people. I don't run out into the middle of the road and shout at cars. I get drunk, I don't get stupid.

You put youself at risk when driving too you know.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"I get drunk, I don't get stupid."

Again, what are you getting drunk for? Because it alters your behavior, or because all your friends do the same thing? Or some other reason?

"You put youself at risk when driving too you know."

You put yourself at risk when you wake up in the morning, but you're probably doing it to accomplish something. I'm talking about putting yourself at risk for its own sake.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I'm not sure that caffeine has an effect mentally, does it? I thought it was just physical. And, even at that, you're right that it's different. Caffeine doesn't increase one's chances of doing stupid things.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I laughed at a girl who tried to flirt at me once under the influence of caffiene. I was perhaps a bit wired, and she noticed I was purchasing a science book and said something about Halley's Comet coming by soon. Ha ha ha, I thought! It's Hale-Bopp, you stupid cow! You stupid, stupid, hot cow. You stupid...wait, was that a pick up line? My god, that was a pick up line, wasn't it? NO! You stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, not smart person! GAH! Oh, I am going to brain you with the steering wheel as soon as we get out to the car. I hate you with redhot passion!

That must have been five years ago and I still remember it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. As in I am so.

So, caffiene consumption can lead to celebacy. Now if that doesn't scare the kids off it, I don't know what will.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would appear that Frank has adopted the traditional educated American [excuse the oxymoron ] attitude towards social drinking.

It would also appear that Liam has adopted the traditional educated British attitude towards social drinking.

And, fulfilling my duty as a Canadian, I must mediate.

Frank, as someone who's lived in Europe, I must tell you that the entire attitude towards alcohol is so different that it is really hard to grap if all you've known is the "alcohol is eeeevil" mentality of the US.

IIRC, Brits and Americans consume approximately the same amount of alcohol. The difference, however, is the environment in which it is consumed. With advance apologies for the stereotyping, Americans almost exclusively sit on the couch in front of the game with a Bud, while Brits almost exclusively have pints @ the pub.

What this means is that when the roles are reversed, Americans just plain suck at correctly handling social pub-style drinking.

Furthering the above problem is the general North American attitude of keeping booze away from teens at any cost. Its disgusting, really. Nothing is a greater cause of accidents than crowds of drunken, rowdy teens with no idea how to handle alcohol except to binge on it. On the other side of the atlantic, childrena are brought up to see alcohol as just a beverage with assorted positive and negative side effects.

Speaking of assorted positive and negative side effects, on the subject of coffee I must interceed. Coffee is a close friend of mine. I can assure you that caffiene has both mental and physical effects.

Back to alcohol.

I'll end off with some lyrics from fellow Canadians and their observations on drinking:

quote:

ALCOHOL
The Barenaked Ladies

Alcohol, my permanent accessory
Alcohol, a party-time necessity
Alcohol, alternative to feeling like yourself
O alcohol, I still drink to your health.

I love you more than I did the week before
I discovered alcohol.
Forget the caffe latte,
screw the raspberry iced tea.
A Malibu and Coke for you, a G&T for me.
Alcohol, your songs resolved like
our lives never will
When someone else is picking up the bill.

I discovered alcohol.
O alcohol, would you please forgive me?
For while I cannot love myself
I'll use something else.

I thought that alcohol was just for those with
nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk
was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time
and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between
self-control and self-abuse.

I discovered alcohol.
Would you please ignore that you
found me on the floor
Trying on your camisole?
O alcohol, would you please forgive me?
For while I cannot love myself
I'll use something else.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps