Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have no place else to go with this (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no place else to go with this
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, do you know how much alcohol is needed before you have your perceptions sufficiently skewed to make bad judgements? Anyone who knows their limits tends to avoid it, unless you go out with the specific purpose of getting utterly whacked. And you only learn your limits through trial and error.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you do it for the purpose of getting utterly whacked, chances are you ALREADY have bad judgement.

As for sex. I agree, don't do it unless you're willing to accept all the potential consequences.
I'm lucky, in a sad way. My gf can't get pregnant, so it's not a worry for us. (Of course, someday, we might wish she could...)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: I hate to say this, but that's not a very good arguement. One could also say that, if you put a loaded gun to your head, you don't know how far you can pull the trigger in w/o killing yourself, unless you use trial-and-error.

Trial-and-error isn't a good idea when the error part tends to result in bodily harm...

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, it's a nice argument and all Tim, but it does tend to avoid mentioning those little things called condoms. And the pill, for that matter.

And I'm still not sure how it endagers peoples lives.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Er, it's a nice argument and all Tim, but it does tend to avoid mentioning those little things called condoms. And the pill, for that matter."

Neither of which are 100% effective.

"And I'm still not sure how it endagers peoples lives."

There are plenty of STDs out there to worry about.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, honestly, the disease part doesn't bother me. All the idiots can go AIDS themselves out of existence, for all I care. More space on the planet for me...

As far as "endangering lives" goes, I'm not talking about people dying. I'm talking about, if you go around having sex whenever you like, the odds are unacceptably high (hell, I'd probably call any chance at all unacceptable) that you and the other person will end up w/ a kid that neither one of you wanted. It's that life that you're jeopardizing. Not in a physical harm sense, but just in the fact that, if you aren't willing or prepared to have that child, his/her quality of life isn't going to be what it should.

And if anyone even dares to seriously suggest abortion as a solution to that problem, I swear I'm leaving this discussion...

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, honestly, the disease part doesn't bother me. All the idiots can go AIDS themselves out of existence, for all I care. More space on the planet for me..."

Well, ultimately, I'd rather see fewer public health risks.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so say you're 21, go out a lot, and on average sleep with a girl once a fortnight.

Now, say you're 21, you're going out with someone who you've been ogin out with for 6 months. It's going fine, neither of you have the slightest thoughts about commitment, as you're both too young. You're having sex about 3 times a week.

How's the first oe worse? Or should you not have sex even in a steady relationship unless you want to have a kid?

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, while a risk-free life is possible, risk-free pleasures are few and far between. I can't have sex without some risk of either disease or pregnancy, however minor. (Or injury, for that matter. The elaboration of which I leave as an exercise for the purient minded.) I can't have another piece of chocolate cake without the risk of turning my heart into a hideous mass of fatty goo. I can't drive without the risk of being smashed underneath the bulk of some inattentive driver's truck.

But is a risk-free life really worth living? Is it worth never falling in love to protect myself from a broken heart?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

JareshInyo_A
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that count, I'd say love is dangerous, and often not worth the risk.

------------------
"You exist here."

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That's my experience. Granted, my experience is very limited, but it's pretty much sucked so far.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand... Yes, Liam, I am saying you shouldn't have sex unless you're prepared and willing to have a child. Basically, the whole premise boils down to reckless disregard for the possible negative consequences of your actions on others. That's what I have a problem with.

Bear in mind, of course, that I specified that this only applies to cases where there actually is the possibility of pregnancy. If you want to go sleep around, feel free to have a vasectomy, or something to that effect. Or you could turn gay. That's always an option... *LOL*

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone here must immediately go out and purchase the album "69 Love Songs" by The Magnetic Fields. This isn't a request, it's an order. Simply must.

Because I'm silly that way, their song "Love is Like a Bottle of Gin":

It makes you blind, it does you in
It makes you think you're pretty tough
It makes you prone to crime and sin
It makes you say things off the cuff
It's very small and made of glass
and grossly overadvertised
It turns a genius to an ass
and makes a fool think he is wise
It could make you regret your birth
or turn cartwheels in your best suit
It costs a lot more than it's worth
and yet there is no substitute
They keep it on a higher shelf
the older and more pure it grows
It has no color in itself
but it can make you see rainbows
You can find it on the Bowery
or you can find it at Elaine's
It makes your words more flowery
It makes the sun shine, makes it rain
You just get out what they put in
and they never put in enough
Love is like a bottle of gin
But a bottle of gin is not like love

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

*sigh*

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps