Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have no place else to go with this (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no place else to go with this
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I mean relax as in, I'm with my mates, I'm winding down. I'm not pretending that alcohol has no effect here. It obviously does. It mellows you. It calms you (altohugh the atmosphere does that too). I'm saying, what's wrong with that?"

Well, you should be able to do it without alcohol.

"So you can all carry on sitting there with your "ooh, drinking is so pathetic. I don't need drugs to help me enjoy life. I've got TV, I don't need to go out.", and me, Daryus, and the rest of the world will carry on going to the pub with our mates. Okay?"

Okay.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alcohol affects different people in different ways. This much should be clear to anyone who knows a number of drinkers of different types. You have happy drinkers, mellow drinkers, surly drinkers, etc.

Personally, I believe it allows people's repressed selves to come out a bit. Which is one of the reasons I STOPPED drinking.

Seems my inner self has a tendency to become suicidally depressed.

But hey, if your inner self isn't a problem to you or the people around you, why the hell not?

Seems to me some folks around here doth protest the liquor too much. (Kinda reminds me of Smoke Nazis -- the people who quit who become the worst anti-smokers of all? And no, I don't smoke. ECCH!)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Kicking myself as I do this*

'"I mean relax as in, I'm with my mates, I'm winding down. I'm not pretending that alcohol has no effect here. It obviously does. It mellows you. It calms you (altohugh the atmosphere does that too). I'm saying, what's wrong with that?"
Well, you should be able to do it without alcohol.'

*sigh*. I can do it without alcohol. Quite frankly though, it's easier with. And why should I have to do it witout alcohol anyway?

First is right in that there are different types of drinkers. There are some people who probably shouldn't drink at all. none of my friends have a problem, but maybe I just hang with a chilled bunch of people.

If I had to classify myself, I'm a talkative, giggly drinker. Which is embarassing, but there you are. One of my mates becomes a bit less up-tight. Another desperetly wants to start dancing. Another desperatly wants to start dancing while discussing how Sisko's the best Captain cause he's a complete raving psycho.

I did have one friend who had the worrying tendancy to start swearing at us, and then start telling us he loved us. And then he started licking another mates coat. And then he thought we were trying to kill him with said coat.

Now, if he did that every night, then fair enough, bad. But it was A-Level results night, so he was entitled. And he did the always impressive deet of leaving the pub, throwing up, and then walking right into another.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And why should I have to do it witout alcohol anyway?"

Well, I don't know about the people running around in the UK, but here in the US people who are not in control of themselves are usually deemed insane. However, the effects you describe indicate a willingness to relinquish self-control. For civilisation itself to function, the people must exhibit self-control at all times, for reasons stated above. Self-control is one of the defining characteristics of humanity itself! It's not something you should throw away just because you think you can't dance without knocking your brain around with drugs. People need self-confidence, not alcohol.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*gives up*

Okay, fine. I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks that the main point of sex is reproduction, and who thinks that playing the accordian is a far superior alternative to having a life. Europe and Austrlia are decaying uncivilised playgrounds where savages take drugs, knock women on the head with clubs, and then force them to mate to the musical sylings of Wham.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited July 15, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am inclined to agree. This is getting tiresome.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"Okay, fine. I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks that the main point of sex is reproduction,"

This doesn't say much about the UK's educational system. Still clinging to the stork theory?

"and who thinks that playing the accordian is a far superior alternative to having a life."

It shall be my lifelong goal to make sure the accordion becomes as popular as the guitar.

"Europe and Austrlia are decaying uncivilised playgrounds where savages take drugs, knock women on the head with clubs, and then force them to mate to the musical sylings of Wham."

I'm glad we agree.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

*final commment*

Sorry, that should have said "Someone whose main reason to have sex is to reproduce."

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reckless endangerment of one's self and others. What a way to have fun...

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Liam: You got it right the first time with regard to what I've said in the past, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

*Grrr*

"Reckless endangerment of one's self and others. What a way to have fun..."

Okay, at what point did I say that?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

About the time you posted in this thread disagreeing with the first message.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wake me up before you go girl?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think drinking recklessly endangers people lives, you have a major perception problem. To say the least.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Granted, if you are actually capable of staying in control of yourself whilst under the influence of alcohol, you might just be able to avoid endangerment of self/others (though, I know I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to take the chance). My sardonism was aimed more at the topic of sexual intercourse, which issue seems to have been raised again.

I wasn't going to go into it, but, as I seem to have placed myself in a position wherein I feel obligated to explain myself, I'll inform the masses of the logic behind my assertion that casual sex is immoral. It's fairly simple, really. Whenever you have sex, you run the risk of pregnancy (okay, so this only applies to heterosexuals who aren't sterile). That is what those little doohickeys at the base of our thighs were originally intended for, after all. Now, if you want to take your own situation into your own hands, that's your business. If your partner is consenting, that's his/her/its business. However, I find it a bit wrong to recklessly take the chance of unintentional procreation, at which point you're bringing a third (potential) person into the mix. You and the person you're screwing may have the right to do what you will w/ your own lives, but you don't have the right to risk bringing about a child you aren't prepared to have. Basically, don't perform the acts that lead to reproduction if you're not ready to reproduce. I'm not trying to be high and mighty here, or anything. I just really don't feel someone has the right to mess with someone else's life (even if it's the very creation of that life that's the issue) so carelessly.

Of course, I also think sex is such an incredibly intimate experience, I would only want to do it w/ someone I truly loved, even ignoring the moral implications I mentioned above. However, that's just a personal thing. I wouldn't want to impose that on anyone else. But the stuff I said before seems like much more of a universal right/wrong issue (or, as close to universal right and wrong as is possible).

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps