Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Daryus will be dissapointed (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Daryus will be dissapointed
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan: You're allergic to feta???? REally???? OH! I'm so SORRY!!!!! I LOVE feta! Poor thing.... *hugs*

BTW: I've said it before, but I'll say it again... I'm SCARED of curry. And I'm scared of beets. And recently I've decided that they're part of the hite car conspiracy.... *hides under her bed* It's just not safe out there anymore....

------------------
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives......

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider curry to be analagous to Chile.

1. It uses characteristic spices that aren't always quite the same from one recipe to another.

2. The same basic recipe varies so much from chef to chef that an ingredient list may not contain any ingredient in common with another recipe, with the exception of spices, and not all of those are identical.

3. The appearance of each recipe can vary so greatly that occasionally, the chef must indicate that he's serving chile or you might think it was something else.

4. The intensity of the spices can vary from "Mild as Mothers' Milk" to "File Environmental Impact Statement & Prepare Last Will and Testament prior to tasting".

Curry is available in quite a variety of different forms. Some of them taste and appear so dissimilar that you might not recognize them as curry. The local Thai restaurant normally has two different kinds of curry on their lunch buffet. One is a Philipino variety (coconut milk in a main dish? Not for me, thanks!) And the other is a different variety (What region it's from I dunno, but it's good).

My fave? I like to start making chili, but substitute curry powder for chili powder. It's Curry con Carne! Not too bad, but it can be if I use the wrong type or amount of curry seasonings. (Daryus: I recommend you try it sometime. It's different, but good!)

--Baloo

------------------
Next: proving that stepping on a crack won't break your mother's back. Nothing against Mom, but sometimes we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, curry is a badly used generic term. Kind of like European, or vehicle. What can I say. When I refer to curry I mean North Indian/Pakistani food.
Anyhoo, I shall try the concarne.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much in agreeance with DA.

My father in law says that British Curry has no resemblance to a real Indian Curry......

I have tried it and he is correct.

What us Brits are referring to as a curry really is not...........

*Goes off to smite Uncle Bens.....*

------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stationmaster: I was having this discussion with a customer at the Indian takeaway that I work at. Indeed, authentic Indian and Pakistani curries (especially the way my mum makes them) are bad enough to render most palates useless for about 20 years.

Seriously, the curries here are specially created to appeal to the general populace. No-one in Pakistan or India says "Give me a Lamb Dhansak" or "I'd murder a Chicken Vindaloo right now".
A curry is a curry. The sauce is usually a lot lighter, not as thick as you get in these curries here. They also only use the basic spices, Chilli, Paprika, Haldi, may grind some cardamon pods for flavour and put them in, garlic and coriander. In addition, no-one there eats garlic naans, onion bhajees or many other things on the menu.

These curries are very basic and in my opinion far superior to the stuff that's made in these restaurants or takeaways. If you want an authentic Pakistani/Indian meal, then one of these curries and a couple of chapatis is the way to go, or if you prefer rice, that's good too.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on April 30, 1999.]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: I lost that recipe for your wife's Chile that you sent me, in an Inbox failure. . . d'you still have it to re-send?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email me and I'll see what I can do. It was really simple, unless you live somewhere that the store doesn't regularly have the ingredients in stock.

------------------
Next: proving that stepping on a crack won't break your mother's back. Nothing against Mom, but sometimes we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done and done. 8)
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion S: What are Garlic nads.

------------------
We'rree Baaaccckkk

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excalibur: They're garlic naans, not nads. They are simply plain naan breads that are flavoured with garlic(if you like that sort of thing, I hate garlic).

They're made by firstly making some dough from some flour, water and some other ingredients which escape me at the moment.(just like normal bread). This dough is then spread onto this, well, small cushion and then stuck to the interior side of a special clay oven. The bread is then made in a couple of minutes. It is usually served with a curry.

The flavouring is usually done in the dough stage.

I hope that helps. Ask if you need more info.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on April 30, 1999.]

The First One
Member # 35

My favourite naan is what I think is called the Peshawari naan - a swwet one, with coconut and raisins. Yum. . .

The naan is the ideal bread for the wetter-sauced dishes. . . mops up the sauce very well. For chunkier meat dishes (as well as vegetable ones, and the lentil dish dal, however, I prefer the chapati, a thin wholemeal flour pancake. They're about the only thing to do with flour, beaking etc. that I can make. . . It's just sieved brown flour and water kneaded together (a food processor works very well) and left for an hour, then rolled out with lots of flour to prevent it sticking (it is VERY sticky otherwise) and then plopped straight onto a metal plate over the heat (gas flame is best, wouldn't want to try electric). They reheat very well and are excellent with scrambled eggs.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Garlic nads"?! Oh, my...

------------------
"I'm not stubborn. I'm just right."
-me

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The curry I mentioned is mostly Chinese curry. I've also had Thai curry, Vietnamese curry (or I think it was Vietnamese), and Indian curry (a long time ago that I don't remember how it tasted). Thai curry is light and soup-like and heavy in coconut milk-flavor. The Vietnamese one was thicker and smells less of coconut milk.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NADS? LOL It's Naan.

Orion, you're right. Naans, bhaji etc aren't part of the standard diet. More like Sunday food. But hell, the Chinese food we get in shops is hardly 'Chinese' either. It's a generalisation.

Tora, two words you used in conjunction there would make all my ancestors turn over in their graves for a few centuries....*L*.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Jordan
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOA: Evertime i've had Feta cheese on ANYTHING it makes me sick to my stomach. As for Curry, well it and MSG...

Makes my lips swell.

And no comments from the rest of you either!

(T-minus 5 weeks and counting...)

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps