Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I just sent in my application... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I just sent in my application...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spend too much time there, and it won't smell like anything anymore, even if you try...

------------------
"Yahweh likes to meddle in the affairs of us, as it makes him feel powerful, and he forgets the many years of torment he endured at Supreme Being Secondary School. Many a day would 'Thor - God of Thunder' & 'Mars - God of War' steal Yahweh's lunch money and hang him up by his breeches, all the while belittling Yahweh by insulting his very odd, and non-imposing God name, usually by adding a valley girl accent, and having it come out as 'yeah! way!'."
-Ultra Magnus, 15-Dec-2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been 55 days. Is that a normal response time for libraries seeking employees? Anyone? The only libraries I've ever been to have either had the same two employees since roughly the Mesozoic, or grew their employees in tubes.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since "library page" isn't exactly an essential job, and the branch just opened today, I'm not surprised they haven't contacted me. However, I'll be going back in a day or two to drop off "The Cardinal of the Kremlin," and I'll ask if they've filled all the page positions when I do.

On the brighter side of things, I did have the honor of being the first person at this branch to pay an overdue fine (only six days, so don't smite me, Rob), and I found the first computer bug.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this may help explain it, too. Unless their website hasn't been updated in way too long, the branch doesn't have a manager yet! And of course, since it's the manager that contacts and interviews the pages...

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then how did they hire the other employees?

I don't know how libraries do it, but often, hiring for new stores/branches will be given to the managers of other branches, or to a district manager to do. Most places allow (senior) assistant managers to hire, too.

My .02 cents.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...'library page' isn't exactly an essential job..."

Didn't we already determine that "library page" is some sort of alternate term for a shelver? Trust me, it is essential. How long do you think a library will last w/o someone to put the books where they belong? For one thing, only about one in fifty library patrons even has the slightest idea how to put a book back in the same place after they take it off a shelf...

------------------
"Yahweh likes to meddle in the affairs of us, as it makes him feel powerful, and he forgets the many years of torment he endured at Supreme Being Secondary School. Many a day would 'Thor - God of Thunder' & 'Mars - God of War' steal Yahweh's lunch money and hang him up by his breeches, all the while belittling Yahweh by insulting his very odd, and non-imposing God name, usually by adding a valley girl accent, and having it come out as 'yeah! way!'."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aackk! Without a shelver, it would be complete anarchy! Riots would break out, and the Librarian would probably end up breaking her hip, and then yelling at everyone to stop eating. Of course, it wouldn't be any fun for the three old dudes who come in every morning to read the paper, because they're too cheap to actually buy a subscription, and they'd get mad at the Librarian and end up mashing her face in to the copier. And as if that's not enough, the computer probably wouldn't register the middle aged woman who comes in every day and takes out five hundred thousand Harlequin romance novels, and she'd probably end up crying loudly, disturbing the wierd dirty man who sits at the farthest corner, reading the same RAMA book over and over again...

It'd be utter chaos.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Omega
Member # 91

I mean it's not essential in the sense that a new library from which nothing at all has been checked out can survive without one for a few days.

But, hey, anarchy's cool, too.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

UM: No, but there'd be a lot of books lying around on the tables, chairs, floor, &c.

And the scary part is that there really are people like those ones you talked about there... *L*

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A shelfer is not non-essential, it's just easily replaceable.

------------------
"Life end when you die. But imagination share with others, live forever."
--Quan, Final Fantasy IX

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, some advice, Omega:

My first couple jobs, after I turned in the app, I went back in and talked to the assistant manager or manager, to make sure they'd know me, so when they came across my app, they'd say, "hey! I know this guy..."

Couldn't really tell you if it worked, though -- I did that with about five different jobs (Subway, Blockbuster, Waldenbooks, Giant Food, and something else), and I got Subway and Blockbuster (and boy did they suck).

All my other jobs I've been hired on the spot. Sam Goody's, Domino's, Papa Johns (the later two hired me over the phone without an interview, "Hi, this is Marc, the manager at Domino's, got your app, yeah, why don't you come in tommorow at 10, okay? Great.")

Just some friendly advice.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Come the millennium, month 12,
In the home of greatest power,
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader
--Nostradamus, 1555 (Allegedly)
"Mr. Vice President, in all due respect, it is - I'm not sure 80 percent of the people get the death tax. I know this: 100 percent will get it if I'm the president." - George W. Bush

Omega
Member # 91

I was actually in the library this evening (picking up "The Bear and the Dragon"), and I asked the lady at the desk whether there were any page positions left open. She said that there was one left, and that she was, in fact, the one who looks over the applications. I told her my name, and smiled REAL big, like.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Omega
Member # 91

Oh, and I'd love to know where you got that Bush quote. I'm pretty darned sure he never said anything remotely resembling that.

Checking your facts is always a good idea, Jeff.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unless it's satire..... a funny..... a joke.... a witty possible statement from a mis-spoken fellow..... or, then again, he may have said it.....

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Well, you have to take into account the fact that the only publicly available records of communication between Bush and Gore were the three debates. I think I would have noticed something that badly mangled.

And if it's going to become so hilarious to attribute to a man statements that he never said, just because he's misspoken once or twice, then everyone becomes a legitimate target. You, me, Dick Gephardt, everyone. And if THAT happens, the humor looses all meaning.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps