Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I just sent in my application... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I just sent in my application...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a call from Karen at the library. It took 'em a month, but they finally finished my background check. They failed to discover my carefully-conceiled criminal record, and they just offered me the job. Coolness.

Now I'm supposed to call up the human resources department, tell them I want the job, and go downtown and sign stuff. Then I set up a time for my first day on the job. Looks like my likely times are eight hour shifts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with a few more hours thrown in somewhere during the week.

I will soon be employed! Yay!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carefully

Concealed

Criminal

Record?

I'd better get outta here.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*tries to think up some pun where CCC is turned into KKK*

*fails*

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you normands and your subtle schemes!!!

So, I'll wager there's a whole new debrief system for librarians nowadays, to keep those messy incidents from happening again. Those infuriating dogears...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as an aside, a couple of days ago I applied for the job of Library Technician at California State University of Pennsylvania's Washington campus.

(Yes, that's right, California, Washington, Pennsylvania. Both 'California' and 'Washington' are towns in PA.)

IF I get the job, which I am eminently -and possibly over- qualified for, I stand to see a MINIMUM pay increase (over what I'm making right now in the Public Library) of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a year! AIIGH!

I'm more than qualified.
I have experience.
I have a Master's.
I may have an aneurysm.

Of course, I just today had to fill out and send back one of those 'diversity' forms, which is the new way of saying 'we don't want any non-veteran, non-disabled white males to get this job if we can possibly help it.'

(That's a joke. Since the thing was optional, if I really believed that, I wouldn't have filled it out.)

Oh, if only I could conclusively PROVE that I'm 1/64 Iroquois, as my mother's genealogical research seems to show... I could maybe get tribal affiliation.

If I get this job, I may have to take it as conclusive evidence that there IS a higher power looking out for me...

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why a higher power? Seems to me, you earned your college degree, and you've sweated away years as Chief Librarian In Charge Of Secret Hidden Army. To be bluntly honest, I don't see a higher power in there anywhere.

Although I do believe in "fate." Or, on the reverse, "dumb luck."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm 1/64 Cherokee!

Hang on.

Does that mean we have to kill each other?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm of purely white European descent, so I guess that means I get to wipe both of you out, right? :-)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 1/4 Irish Catholic, and a resident of London, which means I keep having to put car bombs in my own car. It's getting very annoying.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet your insurance company loves you.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Yes, that's right, California, Washington, Pennsylvania. Both 'California' and 'Washington' are towns in PA.)

Not to mention a charming hamlet nestled in the Appalachians called 'Jersey Shore'.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the new Playboy playmate attending Indiana University of Pennsylvania...yes, in Indiana, Pennsylvania.

Re: racial make up...I'm part German Jew. You think Brits have a lock on self-loathing? I keep--- :::blinks & thinks for a moment::: Wait. I think for once, I'll refrain from making that joke. I get the feeling that Holocaust humor ins't appreciated by all.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnic makeup...

Scots
German
Irish
English
Welsh
Polish
Iroquois

So for conflicts, you've got
Scots vs. English
Irish vs. English
Welsh vs. English
Germans vs. English
Germans vs. Polish
Irish vs. Each Other
Scots vs. Each Other
Everybody (white settlers) vs the Iroquois
Probably a few I've missed.

My ancestors have been killing each other for centuries. No wonder I've got a temper problem.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

The thing about the British vs English groups is that it's one way. The Scottish hate us, we don't hate them. We don't love them or anything, it's more that we don't really care.

If there's a football match on, and England are playing, a lot of Scottish people will watch it, and cheer on whoever is playing against England. If the Scottish are playing, the English will watch it and support them. Not with much entusiasm, but we won't want them to lose.

The Welsh hate everyone. Apparently, they are the most isolationist and racist country in the UK. At least according to the Welsh people I know.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps