Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Who's the blame for this? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Who's the blame for this?
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I'm reminded of a saying: "If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you piss on the present."

My maternal ancestors did come over to this continent prior to the Revolutionaryt War, and even fought in it. I know this country's past administrations are guilty of a genocide movement against the natives. The only thing that should be asked of any decendant of anyone who participated in or condoned it should be to acknowledge that it happened. The society of the past is gone and with them their crimes. The best we can do is say, "I'm sorry out ancestors where such shits, it's a real bad rap." "That's okay, your ancestors where pretty stupid anyway," being the responce.

Since I didn't raise my ancestors nor taught them, as I haven't been able to travel back in time, then I am not responcibile for their actions.

How old are you Orion?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon: with the possible exception of some of the things I've heard perpetrated in the name of religion, that hast to be the most RIDICULOUS thing I have EVER heard.

We could only be responsible for the actions of our forefathers if we had the power to prevent them, which would require at the very LEAST a functional time-travel device. We have NO control over what our ancestors did, and taking responsibility for that is inane.

If I actually thought you were serious about what you say, I would ask you where you live, and how soon you intend to turn over your house and land to its original inhabitants. If you were a religious person, I would then ask you when you would be making reparations for the Inquisition, the Crusades, Salem, Alexandria, and the annihilation of peoples and cultures on 7 continents.

But I won't, as I know you personally had nothing to do with it. All that any sane person could ask is that people remember these things happened, and take steps to see that it doesn't happen again.

Cleaning up a mess is different. It starts with taking responsibility for your OWN mess, however. Do that, and you'll find that the big messes start to disappear fairly quickly.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul: I'm 20. Why do you ask?

------------------
Blackadder: I'm King *drops dead*

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not implying that individually we are fully responsible for the crimes of the past. Rather our society is still responsible for them, thus I will not give up my own home, but I will pay the extra taxes as part of a responsible society. As for the religion question, I am not a religious person, partly because I do believe the Church is still responsible for the crimes you list.

Even if you do think this is a ridiculous idea, many people do follow these beliefs. For example there is still a great deal of animosity between China and Japan over Japan's acts in WWII. The same is true with a number of people still distruting Germany.

Other areas such as Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, and Cuba, have conflicts because people beleive that nations which in the past were responsible for crimes are still guilty of them.

Your assumption is that we are all completly seperate individuals. I disagree, we are all shaped by the environment in which we live, and we all reflect it in our actions. When that environment, or society, is flawed the members are as well.

I personally think that when a group commits a crime the group is still responsible for it, even if it has different members, and different beliefs. If the KKK became a Star Trek fan-club that does charity work, I would still never consider joining it because of its past.

------------------
Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers.
-McLaughlin

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I understand that many people DO believe that way. But it's crap, and it needs to stop.

>Other areas such as Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, and Cuba, have conflicts because people beleive that nations which in the past were responsible for crimes are still guilty of them.

Yes, that's true.. and just LOOK at the status of those places! NONE of those areas are something to look up to! They're not even safe for their own citizens! Doesn't that SUGGEST to you that believing in that sort of idea leads only to continual hatred, and nearly impossible-to-stop bloodshed?

>Your assumption is that we are all completly seperate individuals. I disagree, we are all shaped by the environment in which we live, and we all reflect it in our actions. When that environment, or society, is flawed the members are as well.

True, we are all affected to some extent by society and our surroundings and even our upbringing. But those DO NOT DEFINE US. We, as intelligent, sentient beings with the capacity for choice, still can make those choices.

Example: It's widely recognized that people who were abused as children tend to become abusive themselves. BUT, TEND is not ALWAYS. NOT ALL abused children MUST grow up to be abusers. They still make the CHOICE. (My gf can argue vehemently on this subject, as she WAS an abused child, and therefore knows more about what it is like than anyone.)

CHOICE is more important than surroundings.
CHOICE is more important than heritage.
CHOICE is more important than upbringing.

You are defined by your choices and your OWN actions. NO ONE else's.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two: Thank you (and a few others) for defending the rational point of view. Some of my ancestors greeted the Europeans when they got off the boat. Should 3/8 of me hate the other 5/8?

We are responsible only for what we have power and authority over. I regret that some of my ancestors opressed other of my ancestors.

Big, fat, hairy deal. They're all dead now. What I do while I'm alive is what counts. If my great-grandfather robbed a bank during the civil war, would I owe reparations to the descendants of the people who had money in that bank? No. If I robbed the bank, I would be responsible.

In fact I am responsible for a great deal of crime prevention. It's called "controlling yourself". I can't tell you how many robberies I have not committed because I decided that what I had in my pocket was all I had a right to. I don't know how many homes have not been burglarized because I decided I didn't need to take other people's stuff.

Most importantly, you wouldn't believe the number of bodies I would've had to hide if I had killed everyone who made me angry (and in a few cases, it was a near thing).

Simon. You can't effectively control anyone but yourself. If everyone promoted the ideal of self- control with the same sort of zeal the anti-smoking crowd reserves for controlling smokers, we'd be in a lot nicer world, precisely because people would admit when they dislike what you are doing, but agree that it is wrong to try to enslave you in an effort to keep you from irritating them when their own safety is not concerned.

--Baloo

------------------
I prefer the company of those who aim low and overshoot the mark
to those who aim at heaven and shoot their fellow man in the head.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, still off the cigarettes then Baloo?

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a matter of fact, yes. I'm beginning to wonder, however, if I will be coughing up used smoke for the rest of my life? I was told it might last a few weeks (lungs ridding themselves of foul substances as the cilia repair themselves and return to work) but it would be nice to finally take a really deep breath without hawking up the inevitable oyster.

But (to get back on topic) I am taking responsibility for my habit.

Big breakthrough today: The other smokers returned from burning butts and I could smell the smoke on them. I haven't been able to perceive that aroma (without putting my face directly in an ashtray) for more than 20 years.

--Baloo

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Even more on topic: At what point does my prying into your business to keep you out of trouble cross over from "Me responsible for you" to "Unacceptable violation of your right to privacy"?

If you wouldn't want your mom to sift through all your possessions (including that pile of "adult reading material" you think you've cleverly hidden) then why should you be trusted to keep an eye on me? Realistically, that's the only way you can be certain I don't do something you might want to prevent.

That's most of my argument against "We're all responsible". In other words, who made me your warden, or you mine? And who keeps you from overstepping the bounds of what is right? No-one is better positioned to know what you are up to than you yourself. Police your own behavior.

Blaming yourself for other people's exercise of free will is dysfunctional. So is blaming others for your exercise of free will. Whenever you hear someone say "Look what you made me do!" get out NOW! That's the battle cry of the abuser. Only come back when you've gotten reinforcements. Likewise beware "It's all my fault!" when voiced by the victim. It's the battle cry of the abused.

I choose to be neither victim nor victimizer. What is your choice?

--Baloo

------------------

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion: Your post sounded immature, that's all. I don't mean that to be offensive. I was going to say something about what you said, but I voted against it because I thought: "What if he hasn't been around as long as me?" You are entitled to your outlook, but I think it will change in ten years, just as I suppose mine will change in ten years too.
Since you are not older than me, then I won't lean too hard on you. But I'll try to answer youtr queries.
What good does taking responcibilty do to those that have suffered? Well, for starters it sets an example. When enough examples are set, it sets a higher standard of respect for one another. "The guy may have killed twenty people, but at least he admits it." Lying is another form of causing injustice towards the people that suffer these actocities. By a person taking the due responcibility, they are stopping further, more personal injustices to the survivors and victims. They can't bring back the dead, but they can limit the amount of pain they cause and allow the survivors and victims to began the healing process.
Those young men at Columbine took their lives and the answers to why they did what they did. By committing suicide they failed to take the responcibilty of their actions and left the survivors and the victims in more pain because that big "WHY" is still looming over them. There can't be any closure on that crime. And since its hard to point the finger at a dead body and expect them pay for the crime, society lashes out at external influecents. The NRA gets blames along with Marilyn Manroe. I commend Marilyn Manson for cancelling, or postponing, those concerts following the incident. It tells me that he cares and respects what happens to his listeners. In a way, he is offering to take some of the blame, even though he doesn't have to. I never though I would ever think the words but world needs more people like Marilyn Manson. (Somebody shoot me.)
Respect and Responcibilty. Two words often ignored or hidden from.

[This message was edited by Cargile on May 27, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree wholeheartedly. The world needs many more Marilyn Monroes. Preferably these ones will stay away from the Kennedys.

------------------
"Should have changed that stupid lock. Should have thrown away the key. No no, not I, I will survive, right down here on my knees."
--
They Might Be Giants

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I get one then?

------------------
"It seems strange that I, Kudos, a doubter, should be given this luxurious window seat whilst you.... AGEING with age, rot away in that disgrace of an aisle seat. Ha, Hah!
Where is your God now old woman?!"
"Jesus, I'm sorry I asked...!"

- THE BIG BUS

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Er, Cargile, I think that's Marilyn Manson.

------------------
It's good to stir the coals once in a while, if only to see if there's any fire left.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul: I agree with all that, but my point was that it is necessary to control the sale of guns because first because that way it will make it more difficult to hurt or kill someone, and for people to lose someone that they love. I know that anyone who wants a gun badly enough will get one, but at least the nation is doing something to stop it. This would again set an example and discourage others from partaking in crime.

If someone continues to do these things, then they can be imprisoned to the full extent of the law. I don't agree with capital punishment because people should be made to suffer for their crimes, not let off.

I do agree with your point though that to take responsibility will deter others, but the situation also has to be controlled with weapons becoming less freely available because that way, someone can take responsibility for their actions, it'll set an example and with the difficulty in obtaining weapons, it'll also cut down on other similar incidents. If controlling a situation and taking responsibility could be done together, it would be perfect, but I doubt it could be done.

------------------
Blackadder: I'm King *drops dead*

[This message was edited by Orion Syndicate on May 27, 1999.]

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

And that is being done.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps