Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Who's the blame for this? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Who's the blame for this?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worse. They appear to be proud of that particular shared characteristic.

--Baloo

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, my turn...

I don't like Marilyn Manson...personally I think his music is revoting, but this is just the opinion of one (attempting to be) humble person. So, people do drugs at his concert...do you think that those same people go home, put on their Sunday best and live a "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle? No, I don't think so. People that do drugs do them in various places. I don't know if any of you know The Barenaked Ladies or 54-40 (both Canadian bands) but they are NOT like the infamous M.M. and yet I saw people doing drugs at both concerts. Until I see M.M. throwing his audience needles and doobies, I'm not going to start in on him. (As a matter of fact, even if he was dispensing drugs like toilet paper, the blame for it's usage still lies in the individual.)

It's YOUR life...have some guts, and own up for your actions.

I personally have never done drugs, never been drunk and never committed an act of violence. I've been exposed to all the "media" that everyone else has. I watch the news, I've seen Natural Born Killers a couple times, my dad has a gun, I know a few people who seem to be constantly challenging their alcohol limits and my brother does drugs with his friends like there's no tomorrow. Why am I still normal?

Fortunately, I was raised to value all life and was instilled with certain values, in a non-Christian home, I might add. (Although I am now a Christian). Preachers and ministers aren't the only ones who have problems with their kids, and despite the same influences as myself, look how my brother is living...but he's an "adult" now, and he can accept the responsibilities for his actions when (if?) he ever realizes what he's doing. (BTW, just for a reference, my brother hates M.M. and he's a jock. You can't just say it's THAT crowd.)

People, this is your life...it's not the army. When someone says "Jump!" you don't have to ask "How high?", actually, you don't even have to jump at all. We all have to make our own decisions...I could give you a bottle of whiskey, but it's your decision whether to drink it all tonight, or to have a little with some coke on the rocks after a long day.

If you choose to do something, think about it..."look before you leap" so to speak...Ultimately, nobody can make these choices for you, except you. Respect your elders...they've been there already. Help each other out, you never know when you might need someone to fall back on. It makes sense to me...

(And BTW, I agree with Cargile's first post...that's what my opinion has been all along.)

------------------

Maybe common sense isn't so common...

[This message was edited by Dani on June 01, 1999.]

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and BTW...I think theat really heavy rap music has sprung from a violent society...not vice-versa...

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be picky, doing drugs and commiting acts of violence are illegal, wheras drinking isn't. By 'constantly challanging their alcohol limits' do you mean that they're drink driving (v. bad), or just drinking a lot? (Something which is subjective, and I think Americans get way to hung up on, but lets not get into that argument).

Just a couple of questions:
1/ What IS a jock? (I've heard the term on the Simpsons too. I assume your not refering to the delightful Dandy comic strip the Jocks and the Geordies. Go Jocks!)
2/ What drugs were the people doing at the Canadian bands concerts? I'm willing to bet they are far more harmless that what's used at MM concerts.
3/ Not be be offensive here Dani, but maybe your brother DOES realise what he's doing. There are people who take drugs who know full well what the dangers are. (As someone once said, if you got rid of everyone in TV who took Cocaine, then the BBC would be left with Peter Snow and one of the Blue Peter dogs)
4/ Who mixes Whisky with Coke? Ph-tooy. If you want to use Coke, use Jack Daneils. Otherwise tonic is much nicer in whisky.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jocks are usually thought of as athletes that are stupid.

My grandparents mix whiskey and Coke. It's called a "Roman Coke".

Three cheers to Dani who came back to civilization!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

1/ What IS a jock?

-An athletic sort of person, some of which are considered (by sterotype) to have lower than average intelligence.

2/ What drugs were the people doing at the Canadian bands concerts?

-Okay, so it was mostly marijuana, but a drug is a drug, in my mind.

3/ Not to be offensive here Dani, but maybe your brother DOES realise what he's doing. There are people who take drugs who know full well what the dangers are.

-He knows it's harmful, yes...but by talking to him, he's only taking it because of peer pressure. Unlike a lot of his friends he's pretty smart, he just seems to be led rather easily.

4/ Who mixes Whisky with Coke?

-*LOL* My mom does, personally, I prefer rum and coke...*shrugs*

------------------

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Oh, and Bryce...if you read the Star Wars board, you'd realize I've been back for a week and a half or so. *LOL*

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rum & Coke? Ewwwww.

And to make tired point about drugs no 27...

"A drug is a drug"

So, you're including alcohol, caffine, asprin, and so on in that list are you?

Saying all drugs are equally bad is a bit shortsighted. There is a would of difference between cannabis and cocaine, for example, as their is between caffine and marijuana.

------------------
-Joey Tribiani

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why have you relegated yourself to that poor board?

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't interesting how we judge other people? So what if Brain Warner's music is dark and gloomy and anti-christian. It's his point of view expressed through his medium. He wants you to know him. I saw him on Politically Incorrect, dressed in his garb, and I found him, by listing to him talk, to be humorous. If he wants to have red eyes and look asexual so what. If my kids were teens, I wouldn't care if they bought his records. But that's his book cover. It's fancy and ridiculous, but it hides the man inside, and he wants you to find him through is music. If you don't like the man you find, well, good. Marylin Manson also wants to shock you. I's say he's doing a good job.

He's not the only one. . .

I did those. Now where do I rank. . .

[This message was edited by Cargile on June 02, 1999.]

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Sorry, I meant non-medicinal, recreational drugs are drugs. Read what I mean and not what I say, Liam... :P

------------------

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*steps in*

Christian music rocks.

*grins and steps out*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I know Dani, I was being a little bit facecious. But still, non-medicinal recerational drugs are hardly the same. As I said, Cannabis is hardly in the same league as Heroin. And Alcohol isn't the same as Cocaine.

------------------
-Joey Tribiani

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

That doesn't make much of a difference to me, Liam...people start taking them for the same reason: recreation. Whether they get seriously addicted or harmed by the drug isn't what I'm pointing out.

I'm simply stating that people use some pretty weird chemicals to do some scary stuff to their bodies ON PURPOSE. This is what I'll never understand...

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps