Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Well now I've gone and done it... (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Well now I've gone and done it...
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived with my very old aunt and uncle for a few months last year in New Jersey. It was weird how they actually made me feel older, not younger. I mean, my aunt would ask about things that had flown through pop or cyberculture like 5 or 10 years ago and she was just now catching up to them. It made me think of how much has blown through my life like a freight train. I don't know if things move faster these days or if old people slow down but I think it's both...
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed this time speed up too. I remember when a school year felt like forever, and summer break felt like an eternity. Now, the year flies, which is strange, because I'm doing less things than I was a few years ago,and summer break feels so short. I still think of the 1990's as a few years ago. I realized last night that First Contact is 12 years old already!

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double, or triple, your age, then come can talk to me.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the phenomenon of time 'speeding up' as you get older something that has always happened or is it a product of a world with increasing technology?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured it would speed up a bit at least as you got older. I mean when you've only *seen* 7 or 8 years, each year is a 7th or 8th of your *entire life.* If you're 80 it's a negligible fraction. Except, I'm sure, when you're contemplating how many you've got left...then it's not so negligible...

Edit: I take that back. It's probably more negligible.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it has a lot to do with the rate that things change in your life. In grade school, you're in different classes with different teachers every year. College is mostly the same situation. But once you get a full-time job, things don't change very often, and therefore the things you associate with being in that situation just seem to happen a lot closer together.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that when you're young there are so many milestones and events for which you are eager that time seems to pass slowly. In school you can't wait for summer vacation, you can't wait to move up a grade, you can't wait to go from elementary school to middle school or junior high, etc. By the time you get older, the milestones aren't so pleasant. In college you have midterms and finals. By the time you're working, everything runs together and the only thing to look forward to are deadlines. That doesn't stop each individual day from seeming like an eternity, though.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Wow. You make me look so forward to finishing uni. Thanks. [Razz]
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you are young, you live at a faster rate, you are full of energy, but as you age, your body slows down, you get tired a little faster, things begin to hurt, and time blows by you. I can remember when i was little, and thinking how long it would be before the year 2000, and my turning 40. Now it's seven and a half years gone by and each day seems a little shorter then the last.

My wrists sprain easily, knees sometimes bother me, the back started in on me a couple of years ago, and that's on and off. Oh yeah, and just wait till the first time you pull a mussle when you sneeze!! Joy

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen brother!

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That's a really hearty advertisement for telling college kids to booze, drug, and sex it up while they still the fuck can. [Razz]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And telloing teens to walk up the stairs pain free while they have the chance. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Sean, you need to use the elevator to have more energy for fucking.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I thought people just stopped that after 40. Don't want to chance breaking a hip. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Plus, it's like...*16-year-old-girl style derisive noise* ew.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps