Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Well now I've gone and done it... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Well now I've gone and done it...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm picturing a hard-ass drill sgt yelling 'L- O - L, Priii-vate!!!'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck.

My mother's friend's husband is the commanding officer of the Bremerton naval base, but I don't know if I've ever met the guy. Could have toured his boat, though, back when he had one. Damn me and my not getting a neat tour of a submarine!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Baltimore. Visit the Tursk.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds awesome.

But this would have been a tour of whatever boat it was my mother's friend's husband was recieving command of, and would have been awesome in a different, or at least more modern way.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They still wouldn't have let you see the whole sub, you know. Even Tom Clancy doesn't get to see the missile room or engineering room.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true. I took two Tiger Cruises on a Spruance-class Destroyer, USS Fletcher DD-992, the tour didn't cover many areas of the ship needless to say.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Um, duh?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Um, duh?" Brilliant. The guy is a comic genius. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Hobbes! Wish I could say that we might meet up one day, but unfortunately I've turned over to the dark side. But who knows...I may yet find a way into the Navy yet. But good luck and fair winds!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Dark Side"? What, the Air Force? [Wink]

Make whatever gay sailor reference you want, truth is I'd rather be safe on a ship in the Navy than out in front lines of combat in the Army. I didn't join the military so I could fight some war and kill people or get killed, I joined because I need a good job and am looking for something more than anything here in South Carolina.

It's crossed my mind to take college classes while in the Navy, they even get professors to come out on the ship. By the time I get out I can have a college diploma. And if I for some reason decide to stay in the Navy, with that diploma I can be an officer and become a F-14 or F-18 pilot. Flying a Tomcat seems like the ultimate thrill, something I've wanted to do since seeing Top Gun.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

How old are you? I think there's a cut-off on the age that you can train to be a pilot. I could be wrong [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is. I believe its 25 or 27 or thereabouts. And they're retiring the Tomcat, any Tomcat pilot doesn't have much of a future as a Tomcat pilot - I doubt they're even training them anymore.

And supposedly Tomcats are bitches to fly, or at least to land. It takes one crafty motherfucking pilot to land one of those on a carrier.

And yeah, I'm over here with the big bad guys in blue that don't like to get dirty or PT a whole lot. Or really anything that involves touching 'icky' things. No matter my future, though, my allegiance will always lie with the Navy. Nobody gives a rat's ass about the Army-Air Force game.

Ever think about the Silent Service? Or the Seabees? Seabees are hardcore, they can build a particle accelerator out of bamboo and chewing gum faster than you can say, "McGuiver sucks." And they'll do it while being shot at.

But I digress, good luck, Mr. Hobbes.

::tries to think of a Horatio Hornblower joke::

::fails::

And remember, if Homer Simpson ever becomes captain of your ship, just set a course for Rigel 7.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is. I believe its 25 or 27 or thereabouts. And they're retiring the Tomcat, any Tomcat pilot doesn't have much of a future as a Tomcat pilot - I doubt they're even training them anymore.
The F-14 is far from obsolete, it is still the main fleet defence fighter and with the retirment of the A-6 intruder F-14's have found a new life as bombers to supplement the F-18's.

F-14s are also used in the fleet recon role, in association with the E-2 Hawkeye's to provide the fleet with its own recon. The F-18 is crowding into the F-14 job description but the F-18 is no where near an all out fighter.

Hobbes : I dont know if the navy has Warrant Officers but I know a friend who is an Army Apache pilot, he went from working on them as a PFC to piloting them after getting his associates degree through the army and has already been sent to OCS after he got his BS on his way to his butter bars.

He enlisted in hopes of getting some job training and just took the army for a ride all the way to a college degree, no one ever expected to see this guy with a degree but with the oppertunities in the military it would be a shame not to follow up.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Hobbes
Member # 138

Actually I know the F-14 is being replaced by the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet.

The Navy has Warrant Officers, W-2 through W-4. W-1 was discontinued.

I don't have all the facts yet, but with a college diploma I ought to become an ensign and take flight school in Maryland. I'm 20 now, I'd be 25 by then. I haven't decided either way though. I just thought it was an interesting idea.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I thought the Navy's flight school was in Pensacola?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps