Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Well now I've gone and done it... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Well now I've gone and done it...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, years of services. For every 4 full years of services it's 1 stripe.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the real world impaired: remember in ST:II how they had the stripe on their left sleeve with pins on it?

*realization dawns*

Well, my work here is done..

*but you didnt do anything*

Didn't I...?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what my BMR (Basic Military Rights) book says...

quote:
Service Stripes
Service stripes (called hash marks) indicate length of service. One stripe is worn on the left sleeve of jumpers for each full 4 years of active or Reserve service in any of the armed forces, or any combination thereof, such as 2 years in the Army and 2 years in the Navy. Scarlet hash marks and rating badges are worn on blue uniforms; blue hash marks on white uniforms.

Gold rating badges and service stripes are worn when good conduct in the naval service totals 12 years. This 12 years may be active or drilling reserve time in the Navy, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps, or Marine Corps Reserve. For more information about authority to wear gold rating badges and service stripes, refer to the U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations, NAVPERS 15665

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers guys!

CaptainMike - there where pips and slightly longer ones in Star Trek - gold and silver. What did each different one represent. In other words:

Gold long thingy =
Gold pip thingy =
Silver long thingy =
Silver pip thingy =

Oh, and why are they in different orders for all the different character? Is there a specific sequence per division/department?

Cheers!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
long thingies are officially called 'squeaks'

1 pip = 1 year starleet service
1 squeak = 5 year Starfleet service.

I'm not sure, gold and silver might have been officer/non-com distinction, its not specified on the page i got it from

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the BMR...

The things on the forearms are hashmarks indicating service. But on Hobbe's little pic there (which is neat by the way), those are the first three ranks; Seaman Recruit, Seaman Apprentice, and Seaman. However, you would see those on the shoulder and they would have their little picture thing indicating their job.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to join the Navy. I was going nuke. 8 years. I'd be coming out around now. I found out that there was a point system for recruiting. I guess I was worth a lot. It made me kind of sick. 8 years: 4 years of school; 4 years in a Sub. I wanted to be the guy who made sure the reactor on the mission to Mars was working. 6'5", 275. They were never going to send me to Mars. I often wonder how my life would have been different.

[ February 27, 2002, 01:28: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Hobbes
Member # 138

Thanks for the idea. I added two stripes to represent E-2 what will be my rate if I finish this DEP stuff before going to boot camp.

If this board allowed avatars I'd use that, updating it to reflect my rate. And hopefully in 4 years my rank. [Big Grin] Although as much as I hope to go to AOCS I'm not holding my breath.

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
long thingies are officially called 'squeaks'

1 pip = 1 year starleet service
1 squeak = 5 year Starfleet service.

I'm not sure, gold and silver might have been officer/non-com distinction, its not specified on the page i got it from

They bother with 1 year pips?

Oh and the encyclopedia say that gold are years of service and silver are commendations (page 211 of the updated and expanded edition). Given this info, what would the pips and squeaks represent for the commendations? Pip - OK performance, squeak - outstanding performance?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we pretty much know though how long Starfleet people have been in Starfleet, didn't someone actually look at the bars they had on in the movie, use the 1-year/5-year thing, and scientifically deduce that it was "bollocks"?
capped
Member # 709

I considered doing this, but when i realized that Scotty's rank fluctuated between three movies, that the smaller pins were probably less accurate. Plus it makes my eyes hurt. And my brother saw me kneeling with my face an inch from the TV with my finger on the slow-mo button, and issued a string of invectives about the nature of fandom that made me question my own actions.

But the nature of the pins is clearly documented in Fletcher's notes on the designs.. but we all know that any idea of chronology that was supposed to exist in 1982, 1984, and 1986 in the trek universe was repeatedly sodomized by Okuda with the publication of The Official and Intentionally Inaccurate Chronology. Hasn't seen Khan in 15 years my ass...

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

OK, so those service stripes represent 4 years in the army - is that the same for the other armed forces like the navy and air force? Oh and what about the police? I ask about the police because Channel 5 has started to show T. J. Hooker and he's been in the police force for almost 20 years and only has 3 stripes - buy by my count he should have 5. Is the time period different in the police force?

Cheers!

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Another question about T. J. Hooker - what do the different codes mean? Code 2, Code 3, Code 6? [Confused]

Oh and is anyone gonna answer my other question too? [Frown] [Confused]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Does nobody love me??!

Its been a day and not one person has posted an answer to either of my questions. Surely someone here knows! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

Did you read what I posted from the BMR??

No clue on police though.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps