Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Well now I've gone and done it... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Well now I've gone and done it...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Navy has Warrant Officers, W-2 through W-4. W-1 was discontinued."

Sounds like they took their cue from the fast-food industry.

"I'd like a small soda."
"We don't have small. We have medium, large, and super-size."
"How can you have a 'medium' if there's nothing smaller?"
"Get out."

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's main flight school is in Pensacola. Then it has more advanced training in other places, such as Texas (Corpus Christi and others I believe). The Navy's Test Pilot School and facilities are located in Patuxent River, Maryland.

F-14s are still around, but the Navy is planning on pretty much retiring everything but the F-18s in its various forms and the JSF. There will be a period in the not too distant future where the only carrier based plane (save the Hawkeyes, helicopters, and similar breed) will be the Hornet.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The F-14 has been around since December 1970. It's lasted 31 years so far. Become an icon to Navy aviation (thanks in part to 'Top Gun'). I guess due to continued military cut backs, the government feels it's cheaper to operate one type of fighter. The F/A-18 and F/A-18E/F, a larger, more heavily armed version of the regular Hornet.

F/A-18
Wingspan: 37.5 ft
Length: 56 ft.
Height: 15 ft, 3.5 in
Speed: Mach 1.8
Armament: 20mm MK-61 Vulcan cannon; Sparrow III and Sidewinder air-to-air missiles; laser-guided and general purpose bombs, Harpoon and HARM.
Crew: 1 or 2

F/A-18E/F
Wingspan: 44 ft, 8.5 in
Length: 60 ft, 1.25 in
Height: 16 ft
Weight: 66,000 lbs maximum takeoff
Speed: Mach 1.8
Ceiling: 50,000 ft
Range: 462 nm
Armament: 20mm MK-61 Vulcan cannon; Sidewinder, Sparrow, and AMRAAM air-to-air missiles; Maverick, Harpoon, Shrike, HARM, SLAM-ER and Joint Dirrect Attack Munition (JDAM); Walleye and other bombs and rockets.
Crew: 1 or 2

[ February 03, 2002, 05:20: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Hobbes, the *age* of the plane might have a little something to do with it, too. You don't see the Army still driving WWII-era designed tanks into combat, now do you?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but they do fly WWII era bombers. Just ask the various chunks of sauteed Taliban that happened to be under a B-52.

I imagine the JSF will do everything the F-14 does and more, anyway.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And look like like a pregnant blowfish after eating something very bloated and big and stuff, while it's at it.

[ February 02, 2002, 23:41: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus ]

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JSF? What is that?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joint Strike Fighter. F-22.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The F-22 is NOT the JSF.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JSF = F-35. Once it enters service, I think pretty much every fighter in the various branches of the armed services will be a variant on eitehr the F-22 or it. (No more Harriers, F-16s or F-18s, in all likelihood.) I know Canada's attempting to put together the cash so we can phase out our F-18s and replace them with F-35s when they debut. Considering we're only getting around to getting a replacement for our Sea King helicopters now, I imagine it could be some decades before that happens.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Hobbes
Member # 138

Replace the old F/A-18... maybe. But not the F/A-18E/F which has a scheduled lifespan of 20 years.

I still think the F-14 is a better jet than today's modern and concept aircraft.

[ February 03, 2002, 09:36: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

"better" because it was in a movie with Tom Cruise? [Smile]

Judging by that site, the newer 18s (including the E and F variants) will remain in service alongside the 35 onboard carriers, but the older ones, including those operated by the Marines, will go the way of the Dodo. Keep in mind we won't see F-35s in service for another decade, so what are merely thirty-year-old aircraft today will be forty by the time F-35s become widespread.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The roadmap for the Navy any way is F/A-18s (both new and old) while phasing out pretty much everything else out. Then phasing out the old F/A-18s and phasing in JSFs. After that, phasing out the F/A-18s altogether and replacing them with X-Wings.

Oh, and a bit of possible good news...there may still be salvation for me yet. Rumor has it Navy ROTC is coming to a theater near me next fall. Though right now, its just a rumor from a moderately reliable source, I'm going to talk to the Colonel tommorrow. Cross your fingers for me boys!

[ February 03, 2002, 12:32: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
The Navy has Warrant Officers, W-2 through W-4. W-1 was discontinued.

Ah ha! Warrent Officers! Anyone got any info on stuff like what they do, how much they get paid and why W-1 was discontinued?

F-This and F-That . . . could the fighter numbering system get anymore confusing? [Confused]

Say Hobbes, when you join and start serving would it be possible that you could become my informant for information on the Navy? Nothing major, just little bits like ranks, protocols etc - nothing that would threaten National security - God forbid! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Hobbes
Member # 138

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Ah ha! Warrent Officers! Anyone got any info on stuff like what they do, how much they get paid and why W-1 was discontinued?

Say Hobbes, when you join and start serving would it be possible that you could become my informant for information on the Navy? Nothing major, just little bits like ranks, protocols etc - nothing that would threaten National security - God forbid!

Pay is determined by rate and years of services. Here's last year's pay chart for CWO for 2 years service. However the Navy had a pay increase this year. I don't have the chart with me though.
W-1 $2,043.90 (a month)
W-2 $2,315.10
W-3 $2,649.90
W-4 $2,891.70
As for what CWO do specifically... I don't know. Nor do I know why W-1 was discontinued.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps