Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Different Kevin Smith Dead. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Different Kevin Smith Dead.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. and nobody even blinks when good Harry posts a webpage devoted to defecation photography right in the middle of it.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Isn't Daredevil Frank Miller?
I would just like to shock Nimmy at this point by pointing out that comics do not generally have one writer for their entire lifespan. Bob is no longer writing Batman, for instance. Politics, I'll warrent.

Carry on.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to wrack my brain to remember how long a single writer has written a character.. even the longest stretches are only about a decade.. Frank Miller's run on Daredevil was during the early eighties as i recall, but most comics-ignorant people neglect to realize that it kept going even after he stopped writing it
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wish it hadn't. but then we wouldn't have those wonderful Born Again/Man w/out Fear trades.

eh. maybe Daredevil did stop when Miller stopped.

Oh yeah, and Kevin Smith was da bomb. (no pun intended.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For the love of...I don't know, Zeus..."

Ares might have been more appropriate. Or Alanis Morrisette...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Live In Hollywood!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wanted to go right to the top.

Anyway, I trust we are all now satisfied, and can return to uniting against our common enemy, Frank Miller?

Or did I read that wrong?

(300 was great. I've never read his Batman or Daredevil stuff. Shameful, I know.)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOD NO!!!!!!! I LOVED HIM AS ARES!!!! HE'S TOO HOT TO DIE!!!!

Okay, now that I've calmed down... I was hoping it wasn't him when I saw the thread, but he's the only other Kevin Smith I know of. Pity, though, he's got a great voice (he sang in the Xena musical).

--------------------
life creation in progress

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, I am ridicuously aware of comics having several artists.
I wish you'd give me the benefit of the doubt at least once when I raise a point.

What I meant was, did Miller create Daredevil? Notice how I'm posing a question, I want to acquire knowledge, not say I think he did, because that would be presumptuous.

Catch my drift, mate? [Wink]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
Member # 709

Base of operations: Hell's Kitchen, New York City
First appearance: Daredevil (Vol. 1) #1 (1964)
Height: 6'
Weight: 200 lbs.
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Red

Daredevil first appeared in Daredevil #1 in 1964, written by Stan Lee (remember him?) and drawn by Bill Everett. The first score of issues would swith betwen many influential comic artists of the era including Joe Orlando, Wally Wood, Jack Kirby and John Romita. Gene Colan would draw much of the early run though. Stan Lee moved on around 1970, giving the reins to Roy Thomas. Barry Windsor Smith did some fill in art issues also. There were many more writers in the seventies, such as MW Barr, Steve Gerber, Marv Wolfman and Roger McKenzie. Frank Miller started drawing the series in 1979 with issue 158, but did not write an issue until the story "Elektra" that was in issue #168, although he co-wrote two earlier stories. He wrote the series for almost two years until issue #191, passing the reins onto Denny O'Neil. He wrote eight more issues in 1986 before Ann Nocenti took over. Daredevil got run through the ringer by writers such as Chichester and DeMatteis, in addition to O'Neil and Nocenti, trying to maintain Miller's 'grim and gritty' atmosphere (which he defined as a late 80s trend with Dark Knight). When sales dropped though, Daredevil was revitalized by a lighter atmosphere provided by Karl Kesel and also Joe Kelly. Daredevil was moved from the standard Marvel line to the 'Marvel Knights' line, which was reserved for hot creators who were revitalizing chgaracters. Thats where Kevin Smith comes in (no, the other one), and who has credit for doing great things for the character.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, the Xena musical. "Bitter Suite". I picked up the show for a couple seasons on the recommendation of a friend, and just my luck, I get the biggest arc-based ep of the series as the first ep I see. "Um, OK, so the hot blonde chick is Xena's sidekick? So why're they trying to kill each other? And, what, they're dead now? Or just naked? And why is everyone singing? IS THIS SHOW ALWAYS LIKE THIS!?"

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...hot blonde chick..."

Everyone already knows the routine, so I won't even bother saying it...

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, c'mon...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Xena Musical??????
Isn't it enough that they have to show bullshit like Xena or Hercules on TV?
Why do they have to unleash the powers of hell in form of a musical as well???
***goes to the toilet to throw up***

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin Powers, I know you think you're trying to be funny, but there are people who feel like you about 'Star Trek.' How do you feel when people say what you said about your favorite TV shows? Especially in a thread about the death of an actor from one?

How would you react if someone said "STAR TREK IS GARBAGE! ICK!" in a thread memoralizing DeForest Kelley's death?

Shame on you.

[ February 21, 2002, 08:24: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps