Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » WTC/11 September victim list (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WTC/11 September victim list
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so if I name a ship USS Panik...& Jonas Panik's family or friends happen to by pure chance stumble onto my site...& read the list that the name's on...they're not gonna think, "Hey, cool...my name." They're gonna think "HOW HORRID! HOW DARE THEY SODDEN THE MEMORY OF JONAS!!!"

To put it bluntly & to quote my woman, "Eat my ass."

I've already had a guy call me TWICE--CALL me! From California!--because he was looking through my Excelsior list, saw a listing for USS Peterzell, & was curious as to how I got his name. This was a middle-aged man, mind you, not some kid. It never occurred to the poor bastard that someone else might have his name & that perhaps I just pulled it from a phone book. Lots of people have the same names. This is no different.

Mm. PHONE book. State College is FAR more racially diverse than Danbury. Maybe I can grab an assload of Arab & Asian names.

[ February 23, 2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
But the ships are going to be named in the 23rd or 24th centuries. By then the wounds will ~(at least in Trek) have healed. I do not see how it is dishonourable to name ships after people who have died in tragedies such as this just because it isn't that long since it happened. Also it shows that people at this time still remember; the ships do not have to be warships, this is Starfleet.

What crap! They are not being named in the 23rd/24th centuries - they are being named now! Leave the poor people alone, don't add to their pain.

As far as memorials go - I understand what you are saying, but such an act as Shik is planning is not the way to go about it. Now if Shik were to pay or somehow contribute to a real memorial, then I would support him in that action, but not what he is proposing. It just seems too wrong and disrespectful in my opinion.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when did a memorial require people to send money in for it?

I mean, define REAL memorial for me, akb...

Shik obviously thinks this is a fitting memorial, therefore it IS a memorial. He's not doing anything to harm these people by using their names.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, if I get fragged by some megalomaniac in the near future (Whether it be BinLaden, Pat Robertson, or Snay) [Wink] , I WANT a starship named after me!!!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree^

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if the arguement here is that naming a ship after someone is disrespectful toward them, does that mean all ships should be named things like USS Hitler, USS Stalin, USS Pol Pot, and so on?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, if you get killed by a ton of legos falling on your head, I'll have invested way too much time in getting you ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
To everyone,

I am expressing my opinions, not passing a moral judgement.

I am in support of a memorial, if the memorial has dignity and respect for the person or event. Several excellent memorials in my opinion are the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC, the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial in said city.

This idea of Shik's isn't a memorial in my opinion. It's his attempt to fill out ship classes, as indicated in his opening thread. I have given my objections.

This is not a black or white issue. There are nuances in the issue.

As for the suggestion given out by Wrath that Starfleet would name ships after people who died in this event, I truly don't think that would happen. Why? Look at the real world. Can any of you name a ship that is named after a person who died in a massacre that happen 4 centuries ago? I betcha you can't. Any agency, such as Starfleet, will name their ships after prominent people who influenced global events or people who exhibit great heroism. These three thousand souls who died will be remembered by the event that they all shared in a history book and by a memorial in New York City.

And, yes, I support a memorial to the people who died in NYC, Washington, DC, and Pennsylvania.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, target, you're sort of ASSUMING that Shik is doing this just to fill up ship names, but I believe Shik's intentions have always been to memorialize the people by naming something after them.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me there should be a memorial with thier names on it. a suitable, fitting memorial. like the one they have for Nam, but just using thier names for nameing ships, kinda be-littles thier whole ordeal.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: As for the suggestion given out by Wraith that Starfleet would name ships after people who died in this event, I truly don't think that would happen.

Actually thinking about it I agree with this. I don't think it is likely that these names would be used, there are no ships named for privates at First Ypres or for any of the victims of IRA and other terrorist activities. However I do not think it is disrespectful to name ships after the victims, merely unlikely.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:
Since when did a memorial require people to send money in for it?

I mean, define REAL memorial for me, akb...

OK, so most memorials don't require money - but some do and all I mean was that if Shik wanted to contribute some funds to help make a plaque or something then I'd support him. That's all.

quote:

Shik obviously thinks this is a fitting memorial, therefore it IS a memorial. He's not doing anything to harm these people by using their names.

Yeah right! I'll simply refer you to targetemployee's comment above.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Are you disagreeing in my saying its a memorial, or my saying it doesn't harm anyone?

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by The359:
Are you disagreeing in my saying its a memorial, or my saying it doesn't harm anyone?

Yes I'm disagreeing with you when you say it is a memorial - it isn't, and I disagree with you because it could very well harm people - the relatives of those killed.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

And how could it harm them?

Like I said before, when was the last time anyone complained when a lost family member's name was used in honor of them?

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps