Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » WTC/11 September victim list (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WTC/11 September victim list
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, if I had lost someone in such a tragedy, and then found some fucking Trekkie had just chucked their name on a silly list of spaceships, I wouldn't be happy.

Of course, no doubt the opinion I've just expressed will be regarded as horrible biased because a) I'm not American and couldn't possibly undestand (the fact that a certain percentage of the victims weren't American is of little importance, since I imagine they won't be on the list either), and b) I've always said that anyone who feels the need to construct a full shiplist, making up thousands of names and all that bollocks, seriously needs to get laid.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...some fucking Trekkie"

"anyone who feels the need to construct a full shiplist...needs to get laid."

How can a Trekkie be fucking, if he is not.

And we all know how many families of lost loved ones og on the internet and searches on google for Starfleet Ships WTC Victims, right?

Besides, it's not like they'll ever even notice. And besides, it's not like anyone doesn't have the same last names as those people.

Besides, Shik won't name the class "HAHA VICTAMS OF TEH TERRERASTS!!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that yeah, I need class filler. And yeah, I thought about it & said, "what the fuck." But these are everyday names. Hell, most I may not even be able to lose.

Go sift through my Excelsiors. Find me the ships named after the Beatles or the members of TMBG or Alice In Chains. Find me the names of Playboy Playmates.

Everyone "remembers" in their own way. I got what I needed--the lists. I wasn't looking for your approval & yes, you're entitled to your opinion & to voice it. Marvelous. I applaud that. But it's not like I'm using entries off the SS member rolls. Grow up. Stop being so damn obtuse & "morally sensitive."

Oh, & Lee? I love you, but questioning my sexual activity logs is pretty funny considering.

[ February 24, 2002, 16:02: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Obtuse?" Well, obviously you're not doing your best to convince me, then. As for "morally sensitive," well, I'm even more at a loss. I merely expressed an opinion, as you say. That opinion is: if I were one of the bereaved and found this out (never mind how), I wouldn't appreciate it. If you fail to consider that one of the real bereaved might feel that way, or - worse - do consider it and discount it, then you're guilty of gross insensitivity.

Oh, and, UM: heh heh heh heh heh. How old are you, 13? That's one of the most infantile responses I've ever read. Allow me to respond, sir, by saying "you smelt it, you dealt it." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah? That one about rhyming. Oh, I don't remember.

Oh, and since when did Flare become the sexual exploit forum, and since when did people think we care? In a few short weeks, I fear we may succumb to this .

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still like to know how putting someone's name on a list of fictional ships is disrespectful, but, say, carving their name into a big wall that people put their dirty hands on and birds crap on and such is A-okay.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus H Christ! I think that we (myself included) only wanted to highlight the fact that someone

MIGHT

take offense at having a fictional make-believe ship named after their dead relatiive. Of course, some may like the idea :shrugs:

After reading the latest posts I'm gonna simply say: each to his/her own. If this is your way of remembering - fine. Just remember us warning you when someone causes you some grief in the future.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "grow up" wasn't directed at you, Lee. I rarely if ever take much of what you say seriously. In fact, you gave/give me a good laugh muchly.

And AKB? When people cause me grief, they experience full force of will on my part, usually in the form of combined verbal, emotional, psychological, psychic & physical assault. But that's becasue I have this whole righteous "rid the land of morons" thing goin' on.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
And AKB? When people cause me grief, they experience full force of will on my part, usually in the form of combined verbal, emotional, psychological, psychic & physical assault. But that's becasue I have this whole righteous "rid the land of morons" thing goin' on.

You too? Why Shik, I wonder what else we have in common!?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My turn to finally say something...and that is I probably would have closed this thread a long time ago and move it to the flameboard. And then I probably would have closed that thread and told all of you to take it to private email...but that's if I was one of the admins or moderators.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im glad youre not a moderator then, or else wed have a board full of closed threads and nothing to talk about. Maybe this will be flameboard material soon, but thats what we have a flameboard for. Steer clear.

my stand is still the naming ships after the victims probably doesnt pan out in the grand scheme of things. I think that bulk naming several thousand starships after these people makes their loss seem a little cheaper. Remembering them will be up to their families and neighbors in their community, and possibly from there that names (used for parks, monuments and schools where they spent their lives) will go on to be ships names, but i think that naming a large group of ships in series after them is cheap.

BTW, have you though about naming ships for places. look up large foreign cities, mountains , etc.. the earth is a pretty big place for stuff like that. and for naming ships after the dead, there are the officers who died in famous battles. probably not all of them have been covered.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is too weird for the Flameboard, really. There were, for a brief, sweet period, some odd issues being tossed about that didn't deserve the Flameboard stigma.

Now...well, now I don't know what's going on. There is some distinctly strange energy in here. A very negative vibe. I'm at a loss, honestly, and if I sound like I'm being arch or ironic, I'm not.

So, without assigning any blame, or crowning any victors, I'm going to go ahead and close this specific thread. Shik has found what he was looking for, and stated why he was looking for it. Others mentioned why they thought he was doing the wrong thing. And there we are.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps