Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Everything, Everything... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Everything, Everything...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there.

No, not to Seattle. In The359's position, which I estimate somewhat resembles the scenario described below:

Hates change. Hates current life. Suffers from a bad case of catch-22. Jobless. Involved in a veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy long-distance relationship. Flat broke. Lonely.

I can see how that might be a bit depressing.

You've got two choices here.

1) Continue to wallow in self-pity.
2) Kick yourself in the butt and land yourself some work, even if it is parttime.

Option number two, my friend, is the road to better circumstances. Take this advice... it comes from someone who knows.

(I'm about to hit the reply button, and WinAmp is playing I'll Stand By You. Weird.)

[ July 15, 2002, 03:21: Message edited by: Cartman ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can certainly understand how you hate change -- I really resisted taking a job when I got back home a little more than a year ago. But there really are benefits... even if you get a part-time job (say 25 hours a week -- that's only 5 hours a day, Monday-Friday), that's enough to put several hundred dollars in your account every few weeks. You'll have an opportunity to get out and do something, gain "workplace experience" (which sounds really corny, but is actually pretty important for when you need to get a "Real Job"). It may not be the greatest thing, but it's still an activity, which is a heck of a lot better than sitting at home on your ass for the entire summer, no matter how appealing that might sound.

You'd be surprised just how (relatively) far a dedicated and fairly intelligent person can get, even in an entry-level job. I will admit that I've been working at the same store for four years (on and off; I was away at college for two years), and I'm now an assistant manager there, with somewhat more decent pay than the (mostly) mentally deficient kids and thugs that the boss hires. Because I'm always on time for work, and I put a lot of effort and dedication while I'm on the job, I got noticed and earned a bit of appreciation. Okay, so some more money would certainly have been nice -- a big fat bonus or something -- but appreciation and the knowledge that you're doing a good service to others can give you a morale boost as well. It's what's kept me going this past year. It's more than the money, to me -- it's the attitude.

So I strongly suggest that you get out there and do something! [Smile]

As for your parents saying "I told you so" -- you may be assuming too much there. Without knowing anything about them, I would venture to suggest that they'd just be happy that you got a job, and not rub it in your face. (I would hope, anyway.) In any case, if they really do bug you like that after you do get a job, tell them once that they were right after all, and try to leave it at that. That might get them off your back a bit.

Hope this helps you out some. Good luck.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that it's definitely time to start scouting out a job. I don't think it's odd that you're 19 and haven't yet had a regular job because that's how old I was before I got one. Even then, there's some room for debate there since it was working the dorms.

I say take whatever job you can find right now. If you can, head towards something like data entry or general office work. The money's not great and the work can get boring, but it is a steady source of income.

As far as your annoyance with your family goes, oh, yeah, I have been there big time. The good news is that once you start spending less time at home, the easier it gets to deal them and the less annoying you perceive them to be. But the end of high school, I was counting down the hours to when I could move the hell out. As soon as I left, things got better (and I wasn't even moving that far -- just to the other side of the city).

With Laura, make sure to talk to her about your plans to move. I mean really sit down and discuss it at length. Be very honest with her and encourage her to do the same. This is a big move for the both of you, and you need to decide if this absolutely the best and right thing to do.

Good luck, Matt.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grow up, get a job.

Sucks, but it's life. In my house it was , you want to eat, get a job.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
But it is not a living situation from which anyone could derive much in the way of useful information. It involves a great number of late-night visits to 7-11...

Unfortunatly Simon, Matty here isn't looking for advice on where he can copy your fabulous hair-style.

Ha!

Mostly, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here. Suck it in, and get a job. Not getting one because your parents want you to have one is the sort of excuse you use when you are 12, not 19. And you'll stop being financially dependendent on your parents too, which is always useful (and don't say you are. I doubt that you are paying for all your food with that holiday money).

And regarding woman, be careful. The list of people who start dating after meeting on the internet and who suffer horrible pain despite insisting at the start "it's different with us! We really do love each other" is about as long as Simon's Sizer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't burn the bridge behind you.. your parents are your ticket out of bad situations, until you have enough money saved or a job that pays too much.. i thought i could get by on my own when i was 19, because i had a few thousand dollars saved... a few months later, my car died and i lost my job and my roommates renegged on our rent agreement, leaving me broke and helpless, and living check to check isnt the life you want for yourself. i tried to fight it out on my own and it cost me four semesters of school and every dime i had, as well as my stomach lining, before i sucked it up and went to my family for help.

ive thought i was in love a few times before, and every time i was absolutley sure of everything, it ended up leaving me stuck alone. until you interact with a girl in person, you have no idea where it would go, and young people like yourselves and I are fickle in relationships. next week some new fascination could ruin both of your lives.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the good news: Cost of Living in Ellensburg is less than in Seattle. Yay. Bad news? There's still a cost involved in living.

I'm not going to say much about the job thing except that you should go out there and get one. Yeah, change sucks, but your whole life you'll have to deal with change, so you might as well learn to deal with it on your own terms now, rather than waiting 'til something happens that FORCES you to deal with it.

And you're 19, living at home, without a job, and complaining about your parents nagging? Oy. I wish when I was 19 I could have had that problem, but instead I was without family, half-crippled from a car wreck, trying to make it in an apt. with my best friend who was in the EXACT same boat as me, and working TWO jobs just to make ends meet. And I survived. Proof positive that getting a job won't kill you. [Smile]

~LOA

PS~ As for the girl, as nice as she is, I need to remind you: All women are inherently evil. I know. I am one [Wink]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess that, if anyone is qualified to give advice on dealing w/ change, we've found her...
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
PS~ As for the girl, as nice as she is, I need to remind you: All women are inherently evil. I know. I am one [Wink]

Actually, I'm the evil one in the relationship [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:

Actually, I'm the evil one in the relationship [Big Grin]
Or... she is SO EVIL that she simply lets you believe that...

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you need to establish is your current resources - namely, this bank account, how much is in it and can you wrest control of it from your parents. Which you should, you're 19, already at college, what the fuck are they holding the purse strings for? They may regard it as your sisters' wedding fund for all we know.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what all this talk about the pleasures of work is all about. I'm unemployed, a drug addict, and an alcoholic, yet I make do just fine on my welfare check. Only rarely do I have to sell my body to ruffians to make ends meet.

Hell. I say never get a job. Let your parents support you until they die from bankruptcy. Get a nice drug habit going, and squander your future, just like I did! Find yourself a completely neurotic woman who likes drugs more than you do, and marry her. Have kids, and raise them right in your parents house!

You'll be so glad you did. [Wink]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're trying to help the kid, not frighten him with stories of the great tragedy that is your life [Big Grin]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that was the idea.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if he focuses on oh bad PsyLiam's life is his won't look so bleak, and mayhap give him some gumption....

Or, he could look at mine, curl in to a ball, and cry for years.... Overwhelmed with the fact that one persons life could be so fucked up....

Figure out what you like to do, then find a job in that area... It may only be close, but it will get you going...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps