Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bonehead HTML programming question (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bonehead HTML programming question
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have a programming question of my own. Is there any way to have a specific font size within a table without having to put

code:
<td><font size=""></font></td>

ad infinitum?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<table style="font-size: x;">

Where the 'x' is, put the size. For example, replacing the 'x' w/ "12pt" will give you 12-point font. I don't recall offhand all the formats it can be in, or whether you can use the 1-7 "font size" scheme, or the +/- system.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot damn! This'll save a lot of time... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Okay, another puzzle. I'm making a new page, and I figured I'd try and make it W3C compliant. But, it doesn't seem to like me using the link to a CSS tag and <div...> tags. Also, it doesn't like the <p> and <dl> tags I have in there, either. What's up with that?

http://topher.pleh.net/sfp

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All tags that are opened must then be closed again. [Razz]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I closed the div tag. I closed the dl tag. I closed the p tag. [Razz]

When I close the link tag, it still complains about that and then says that the body tag is invalid. It still complains about the div, p, and dl tags. Even though they're all closed.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of tips:
  • First, listing your font as "Swiss 721 Light BT" will leave everyone stuck reading your site with either Times or Arial (or whatever their default is) -- I don't think that Swiss one is one of the commonly available ones (I don't have it, at least). I would suggest picking something common (and cross-platform [Razz] ) like Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Times...
  • I don't think that you need to specify the alignment for a horizontal rule, if you want it centered -- I'm pretty sure that's the default.
  • All HTML tags are supposed to be lower case. (Check the image tag, for one.)
  • Using "em" and "strong" instead of the old italics and bold tags would be a bit more forward-thinking, but not required.
  • And finally, as Charles pointed out, all of your "dd" and "dt" tags need to be closed.
Caveat: I'm hardly an expert in HTML; most of this is what I've picked up from working with Dreamweaver and doing a bit of hand-coding to tweak things. I may be wrong on a few of the suggestions above.

But overall, that's a decent start. I know that MY first web page looked pretty horrible. And I didn't even learn a single tag of HTML until two years after I made that page. (Y'know how I got the LCARS appearance? The graphic was the background, and I just had blank paragraph tags to shift the text down, and used a blockquote to shift it over. Pretty bad... [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The graphic was the background, and I just had blank paragraph tags to shift the text down, and used a blockquote to shift it over. Pretty bad..."

No, pretty creative (LCARS interfaces, yegh). [Big Grin]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, see, that's the thing: I don't like the default fonts. So, I use Swiss 721. I'm going to put a link to download it somewhere. Anyways. As it stands now, all the tags on that page are closed. But no one seems to be able to tell me why it doesn't like the link and div tags...

Aww... Lookit that. Danny's first page. [Wink] When did you make the switch to Dan? And you used that horrible, horrible, TNG monitors font... *shudder*

As for my first page, well, I forget what it was to tell you the truth. It's long since gone, though, as it was on GeoCities before The Big Takeover, and I've forgotten the area and number block of Area51 it was in, along with username and password. I have a rather old version of my (used to be) main page somewhere... Aha. Okay, Here's a version of FSP from a few years ago... Forget when. Don't click on any links, 'cause you'll only get 404s. [Smile] The version I had on VirtualAve is still there (WARNING! Dangerous popups ahead. Enter at own risk). Then I moved to my ISP's server. I haven't done much with that page since, though.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Aww... Lookit that. Danny's first page. [Wink] When did you make the switch to Dan? And you used that horrible, horrible, TNG monitors font... *shudder*

I used that horrible "TNG Monitors Plain" font because that was the only one I could find in my limited Internet forays at that time. (It was 1997, after all... [Wink] )

And the story behind my change of nicknames is actually kind of interesting. I was always called Danny for the first eighteen years of my life. I never planned on changing it. But when I moved into my dorm on the first day of college, I put "Dan" on my nametag instead -- without thinking too much about it. Since then, I've always introduced myself as Dan, although plenty of my family still call me Danny since that's what they're used to.

Back on topic...

Regarding the fonts, what I'd suggest you do is specify the Swiss font first, and then specify at least one backup font (since a great many of your visitors won't go to the trouble of downloading and installing a whole new font just for your web page). All you have to do is list the two fonts like so:
code:
<font face="Swiss 721 Light BT, Arial, Sans-serif" size="-1">

That will tell browsers to use the Swiss font if it's available, then try Arial, and finally any sans-serif style font. It gives you more control over the presentation.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, a separate CSS file linked with [link href="url" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"] is a lot easier than using that FONT tag over and over again, or using inline CSS everytime.
Topher, instead of putting the HR inside a div with inline CSS, you could use:

hr {
text-align: center;
}

either in a styleblock or a linked CSS-file.

Remember: CSS is your friend 8-B

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike inline frames and JavaScript, which are shoving sharp pointed things up my ass at the moment.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And mine, actually. Remember my site? It don't work in Mozilla. I also use Javascript and iframes, but the Javascript seems to work, so I'm guessing that's not it. Any clues?

And I don't suppose anyone can give me tips for embedded fonts? They may be more trouble than they're worth, but I'd really like for people to be able to see my sites in Tempus Sans ITC.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, I seem to have fixed it. Amazing, what happens when you fix about a hundred mistakes found by a validator...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Embedding fonts with monkeys.

I get a blank page in IE6 instead of your webpage. Weird.. I can view the source, and I don't see anything that could cause this.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps