Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What is love? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: What is love?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really had a best friend - whether or not I made the right choice of Best Man still niggles - but then the person I maybe should have had ended up as the one next to me during the ceremony and signed the Registry as a witness, while the actual named BM doubled up as wedding photographer, so I suppose it didn't matter really.

I suppose Kate is my best friend. She's even agreed to accompany me to see Nemesis AND to the Star Trek exhibition in Hyde Park - in the same week! That's love. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice Weasels?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Since my meaning was not necessarily covered by an epigraph: Sometimes maybe it is OK to break up.

True.

For now: bah@"love"

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, new question, for those of you who have no definition: if you can't tell me how love affects you, how it changes your actions, what makes it a unique condition, HOW DO YOU KNOW LOVE? How can you know it if you can't define it, short of an outright guess?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply. You don't know your in love until your in love.

You also don't know that the last time you were in love it was really just a silly crush until you are actually in love.

In short, you're buggered.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the very fact that I'm facing a significant portion of my life being spent in a correctional facility is a fairly large blinker of love. That, & the fact that I love her enough to let her go no matter how much it hurts. Her happiness & need to be herself is the primary item.

I notice that it happens a lot, that people fall in love with a person...& then set about trying to change them into something totally different than the person they fell for. This to me makes no sense. No one is without fault or flaws. But these differences should be cherished & nurtured, not excised & modified. Lindsey & I are very, very similar in many ways. But we're also very, very different in many ways, & I wouldn't change that for the universe.

For me...for us...love is defined by a very simple phrase: "No matter what." When you feel for a person regardless...when you'll feel the same for them no matter what...then that's love. Not just romantic love, but familial love, platonic love, all love. The recent actions of some of my friends has pissed me off to no fucking extent...but I still love them & would still stand by them. No matter what.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, believe me the differences grate more the longer you are together. You can love a persons soul without loving their bad habits. I have been with my partner for coming up on 10 years. I love her. We share many common interests we too are seeing Nemesis and Star Trek exhibition next weekend. We do the whole think the same way, say the same thing, order the same food stuff like Lee and Mrs Lee. The novelty and charm of that rubbed off about 5 years ago leaving in general a kind of cosy co-dependance. I feel safe when I am both holding her and being held by her. On the flip side, sometimes she makes me angry and I hate her and try to hurt her. However she is the only person who illicits a response of that strength from me. I don't feel hurt by what anyone else says or does. Because I love her she can hurt me. Contrary to what people might think love does not mean you would do anything to avoid hurting the other person, because sometimes you do it to prove you can, after all a response of a certain level is a proof of love. Anyway, love is beautiful, fulfilling, comforting but also unsettling and can motivate you to behave like a real nutcase. However the thought of her not being part of my life fills me with a panic and the promise of a misery I hope I never have to feel.

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love is a kind of madness.
It can make you laugh, cry, hurt, hate, and laugh again... in the space of a moment.
It can make you risk your life.
It can make you live when you would die.
It can make you do the stupidest thing you have ever done in your entire life...again and again.
It can inspire you to brilliance and beauty the likes of which you never dreamed.
Love can make you so weak you cannot stand.
Love can give you the strength to stare a demon in the face -- and make him blink.
Love cuts, burns, bleeds, freezes...
...heals, warms, glows, rejuvenates.
Love is a kind of madness.
Let it ever be so.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"if you can't tell me how love affects you, how it changes your actions, what makes it a unique condition, HOW DO YOU KNOW LOVE?"

I can't tell you. Because. There are no words. They fall short. Too shallow. Too primitive.

"How can you know it if you can't define it, short of an outright guess?"

Feelings. Intuition. About some things we are certain even if we lack the ability to define them... you should know that better than anyone else.

Darned biochemistry.

[ December 30, 2002, 15:47: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I know when I'm in lust when I have a restraining order against me.

I know when I'm in love when I have sex 3 times a day.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of these posts have crossed even the limit of sappiness.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should just go out and buy a copy of 69 Love Songs, Omega, by The Magnetic Fields. It covers all the options.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I know when I'm in love when I have sex 3 times a day.

I'm sure lots of people over the age of, say, 25, could make several good arguments against that.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well as lots of people under that age, I suspect.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That only applies to me though... it's not my fault that I have a good recharge time in between orgasms. Besides, I know most people don't ever do it once a month.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps