Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably right between Snay and The359, and right now we've got about 8 inches on the ground, with no end in sight. And the weathermen said yesterday that the snow wouldn't start until noon around here! (Then the system moved a little further north...)

They've already declared a state of emergency, meaning that my classes for tomorrow are canceled. Yesterday I'd planned to return to the dorm early this afternoon, but now I'm holed up at home, sitting in front of the fireplace, with two cats curled up next to me...

I love weather like this! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's about four hours later. The weathermen are saying that we're only about a THIRD of the way through the storm here... and the official tally from New Castle County airport (about six miles away) is 16.5" -- and they're saying the worst, heaviest snow is yet to come! The forecast is calling for 24" to 30" now...

This is just incredible... I've only seen this much snow when I've been up in New York State, where they have the benefit of the "lake effect" snow blowing off of Lake Erie. Here, we're used to the snow turning over to sleet and rain because of the proximity to the ocean and warmer air... instead, we've got bitter cold (12�F and -11�C), with no forecast of a changeover where I live before the storm moves off.

Whew!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its now snowing, started around 2pm. Claims say its supposed to snow constantly until Monday night, 16 - 24".

And yes, you can't get much bigger then a Land Cruiser/LX470. Have you tried looking at a Ford Maverick, Kia Sportage, Nissan X-Trail, Vauxhall Frontera, or Subaru Forester? They're decent sized SUVs of roughly the same size as CR-V, Rav4, and Freelander.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The snow came to State College today at 0830 right as I zipped past the mall on I-99. A drive to The City, sacking out in Jersey & in Columbia County and I STILL get whammed by it. Stupid state.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the sounds of it, this storm that MinutiaeMan's getting is the one that's due to hit here on Tuesday... Those poor Newfoundlanders... Their rock is already covered in 5m of snow... Another metre won't help them much...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same storm I'm getting hit by.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yeah, it's the same storm... I live about an hour or a little more to the northeast of Snay, and a little ways south of The359 (more of a guess there since he's not as specific with his location).

My father owns a Subaru Outback -- I took it out early on Saturday morning, and while a few of the less-experienced drivers/morons in Delaware were spinning out, driving at unreasonable speeds, I was tooling along at about 35 MPH, slow and steady. It's a good, comfortable car with all the capabilities of a "traditional" SUV without the obscene size and extravagance. (IMO)

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right outside Allentown, PA. We were miraculously able to be the only part of eastern PA to miss the first wave of the storm Sunday morning.

And yes, that's the beauty of Subaru all-wheel drive. Or so the ad says...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delaware, eh? A fellow in my english class is from Delaware. He drives a Pathfinder that's still license in Delaware.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just worked the most intense weekend of my life.. on valentine's day i got up early to go over diana's and say many awkward things to her over candy, before working 3pm-9:30pm at wholefoods, finding diana crying at spike's and saying more awkward things to her, then working 10pm-4am at spike's, going home, sleeping a little and then reporting right back to wholefoods for 1pm-9:30pm, and then again to spike's for 10pm-4am, repeat sleep, repeat wholefoods at 1pm

around sunday morning i started hearing mumblings that the snow, which was delayed from the expected start on sunday, was going to be more than a foot.. halfway through my workday at whole foods, we had winter storm warnings playing on conveniently placed video screens designed to freak people into buying cases of water, bread and milk, and a riot ensuing.

you see, in rhode island, if you even mention the word 'snow' everyone goes and buy a weeks worth of food immediately. even light dustings, people will buy two gallons of milk and start freezing loaves of bread.. 'just in case'.. i think this is a side effect of the blizzard of 78, which shut down the state for over 8 days, right after data graduated starfleet academy.. or something

anywho, at 9:30pm i finished the most grueling day at wholefoods, having personally rang up $10,000 worth of groceries at my register alone, and then worked 10pm-3:15am at spikes and came home and slept for the first time in three days, having worked almost 40 hours in that time.

snow was expected for midday start, when i got up at 2, we've gotten some snow, but not even as much as a couple weeks ago.. so far, its supposed to continue well into tomorrow and the expectation is 18"-26" for my area.

at least i got to sleep, and skip class tonight. getting kind of bored though.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up in Saskatchewan when someone says "snow" we say "same 'ol same 'ol" And go out for coffee. [Big Grin]

When We get heavy snow and people need to go shopping we just jump in our big trucks and plow through.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's shopping in Prince Albert now?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I can certainly understand that... but when the average total snowfall in a season is around 20 inches -- and we get more than that in a SINGLE STORM, then I'd call that a Big Deal. [Razz]

Final total in Bear, Delaware: 24.5"

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and to think, about 1 inch bought the entire UK to a standstill. Mainly due to incredibly stupid people driving despite the weather warnings for at least the previous week!!!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM SNOWSHOVEL GOD. FEAR MY WRATH.

Well, that was how I felt after shoveling my car out from 20+ inches of snow PLUS what the snowplows piled on.

Bastards piled all the snow on our street DIRECTLY in front of my car. Maybe they didn't see it because it's white? I mean, we're talking about a pile of snow 15'x15'x4 1/2' In front of my car. HAD to be moved. Nowehere to move it but back into the road or over the fence into the back yard.

So I moved it.

Ow, my aching back.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps