Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » united north america? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: united north america?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that idea!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame that those three attempted American invasions of Canada during the War of 1812 didn't succeed... then we wouldn't have to worry about this issue at all! [Wink]

The idea of a unification of the USA and Canada is so ludicrous for several reasons, not the least of which is the simple fact that Canada would be dominated even more by the current USA states than it is now in terms of culture and economy. Currently, they've got status, a distinct identity in name, and an independent voice in world affairs. Why would they want to give that up?

I could possibly see the US and Canada merging under some kind of continent-wide union similar to what the Europeans are doing now in the EU, but even that would be extremely unlikely given the overwhelming dominance of the US. It's easier to set up a union in Europe because the founding countries that got the ball rolling were more or less equal.

Besides, even if Canada did try to join the US, we'd end up with Great Britain declaring war on us to make sure that the Queen doesn't lose any of the jewels of her crown. [Razz] (Kidding, kidding...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
I seem to remember one of the early Clive Cussler novels featured the recovery of a document signed by Lincoln or Churchill or someone like that (it's always 'someone like that' in his books) which ceded Canada to the US. Of course in Cussler's simplistic worldview the document is held to be valid 'today,' never mind the opinion your average Canadian might have about it.

"Night Probe," the 3rd Dirk Pitt book. Signed in 1914 by Clement Attlee & Harvey Shields. One copy was lost on the Manhattan Limited train wreck, another on the Empress of Ireland. Britain buried their copy. They reinstated an old-as-fuck James Bond to stop the anschluss!

I always thought that Canadians referred to us as "Upper Mexicans?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
United States of North Mexico?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

this was just a lighthearted post, all i wanted were reations, not an attack on my loose grammar...

Don't let it bother you. Eveyone that joins here gets it from someone.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I've never considered Canada the 51st state. They're the 51st through 63rd state.

Imagine, the Canadians would finally have what they've always wanted, the ability to strongly influence US policies at the most important level.

Canada won't join all at once, however. It'll most likely start slowly, with the economically depressed Maritimes. Ottawa has ignored them long enough.

And after this is complete, we move on northern Mexico. Half of them are here already, so why not?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would only ever seriously be considered if Quebec separates, which is becoming less likely as time goes on. And even IF this happens, it'd be a very slow and generally disliked process of necessity rather than choice. The only province which stands a chance of staying as an independent nation would be Alberta, 'cuz we're so frickin' rich. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured the middle provinces--Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba--would join first. For decades, they've had close ties with our wheat-producing states as well as the northern plains states.

The Maritimes would be next assuming Qu�bec decided to be stupid & hairy & arrogant & French (shocker that) & go it alone. If that were to happen, the MPs would be cut off form the rest of the Confederation, so it'd be in their best interest to join up; think of all the fishing rights! BC & Ontario would fall into line soon enough, there's really no difference between Alaska & the Yukon, & eventually Qu�bec would want in, too. I wouldn't, though. Nunavut could go independent for all I care.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alberta as a seperate nation is as plausible as Nobel Laureate Dustin Diamond.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will win the prize for literature in 2016. I am the new Newton!

Anyway, surely the typical Canadian reaction following the departure of Quebec would not be "Well, time to pack it in, then." but "Thank God."

But I kid the French and francophone nations.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Vietnamese-Canadian born here to immigrant parents, living in Alberta, who speaks English and French fluently, but not much Vietnamese at all. Now, how Canadian is that? [Smile]

Alberta's got the oil. If anything, we're more comparable to Texas than to any of the granary states. And there IS in fact a small minority of separatists who gain note every now and then - most notably, when Canada accepted the Kyoto protocols. Alberta could be fairly successful as a country - sorta like Switzerland, but with more cowboys.

Mark

--------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason the separatists gain note is because the SUN has nothing better to print. Except for the suspiciously clean and neat "Sunshine Boys." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

That, and the amazingly interesting news of Wally Buono's CFL adventures and whatever meagre whiny comments Klien has said today to further alienate himself from the east, would make for a tremendously boring country.

So, maybe Alberta can be the beginning of the new Middle West, but you know, man, it'd be boring.

Are there any good dollar stores in the South West that sell Knockoff Bruticus toys? If so, then I relike Alberta, and sign up for the seperatists.

But, I mean Cowboys and bad Hockey? Who would move here?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...would make for a tremedously boring country."

It isn't already?

*ducks*

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

If you're talking the Stampede, then yes. It's a very boring place.

But we've got the Heebee-Jeebees, and their immortal song "Use the Force" which will become the seperated Alberta's new national anthem.

Mark

--------------------

Member # 239

But seriously: Gestalt knockoffs. Anywhere?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps