Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » united north america? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: united north america?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I have someone else to do my rubbing for me. }B)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Adds Vogon to the 'To Kill' list...*

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gf was quite naked this morning as well. I think we scared the nextdoor neighbor's dog.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you just call your girlfriend ugly?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No being, human or otherwise, should ever have the misfortune of witnessing that sexual freakshow.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okaaaaaay...

The Canadian constitution (Canada Act (1981)) is actually a hell of a lot better than the US one and makes a whole lot more sense; proper balence between politicians and those who have actually achieved something (I assume there does actually have to be a reason to let people into the senate [Wink] ). I very sincerly doubt that there are all that many Canadians who want to join the US- the US may be very influential but Canada is still seperate. Would the US allow Canadian political parties to continue?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not? I mean, they might not SPREAD, but they'd surely continue to exist, if only on a state level.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would the US allow Canadian political parties to continue?

Some Americans would have a fit if there was a Liberal Party.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, mostly we'd snicker at the redundancy of having two of them.

Or watch the Democratic party finally splinter off its fringe.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving...?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it happened, would the US then consist of forty-six states, four commonwealths, and thirteen provinces? Or would they become states, nominally?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If it happened, would the US then consist of forty-six states, four commonwealths, and thirteen provinces? Or would they become states, nominally?

Well, Canada is divided into both provinces and three territories, so its going to break down even more. Then you guys have your messed up protectorates.

Speaking of messed up, I'd hope that we wouldn't use that thing you call an electorial system. Primaries. *shudder*

As for party redundancy, the liberals wouldn't really have that much to worry about. They'd have to wait till both the PC and the CA get bumped off first, and even then they'd have more in common with the Bloc than the Democrats. I mean roughly speaking the order from left to right would be:

New Democratic Party, Bloc/Liberals, Progressive Conservatives, Canadian Alliance/Democrats, Republicans.

The Bloc would survive no matter what, the Candian Alliance might merge with the Democrats (the Republicans would be too far to the right...which would also nicely split up the southern US religious vote [Smile] ), the PC would be stranded as usual, and the NDP would see a huge resurgence of votes as large numbers of voters in Florida start confusing the Democrats and the New Democrats...fancy new voting machines notwithstanding [Smile]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm still pushing for a New Empire. Democratic union of the former colonies; a power block to challenge the US... [Wink] .

Actually on the subject of supranational government/world government, back when the East India Company was in charge of India they used to have a system whereby the sovreignty of a state would be assured by the HEIC in return for the state giving up the right to make war on it's own behalf- perhaps something similar would work?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucus: So, what you're saying is that the Democrats are only as far left as your rightmost party?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without having done significant research, my gut feeling is that while you *could* make a convincing argument that the Democrats would overlap with the Canadian Alliance, the differences between the Liberals, the PC, and the (US) Democrats are just too large to be written off.

In a horrible situation such as Canada joining the US, I'd place odds on the PC joining the Liberals before the Democrats.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps