Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » united north america? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: united north america?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Mucus: So, what you're saying is that the Democrats are only as far left as your rightmost party?

People claim similar things over here, that the Conservatives are pretty much in the same place left/right as your Liberals. But it's not true in all cases, and the Conservatives are usually pushing right, while the Democrats are pushing left. Or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the big problem here at the moment is that New Labour have moved so far to the right, they're now occupying the ground held by the LibDems, meaning Kennedy spends all his time either saying "we agree with the governnment" when he should be saying the opposite, and vice versa. And that's when he's not appearing on game shows.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly; new labour seems to have moved so for to the right that even the Conservatives agree with The Dear and Beloved Leader a lot of the time. In fact, the opposition at times seens to consist of Labour backbenchers and the BBC. [Wink]
I honestly hope the Conservatives get their act together and come up with some decent policies (and a decent leader) soon. I think they'd probably have more success if they moved back towards the more traditional conservatism, rather that Thatcherism which is more like the 19th century Liberal party.

quote:
And that's when he's not appearing on game shows.
A whole five minutes?!?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He hosted Have I Got News For You, which is longer than 5 minutes.

I'd love to see Tony presenting it. No, scratch that, I'd love to see Bush presenting it.

The Tories are only partially agreeing with New Labour, I think. They're still to the right of them. Which means they spend all their time moaning about immigrants and trying to invade Poland.

I'm not keen on the Conservative party at all, personally, by Labour desperatly need an opposition party. I'd like it to be the Chuckster, but at the moment The National Union Of Boring Twats has more political savvy than the Tories.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the shake up the Conservatives need is Michael Portillo as leader... No more of this Ian Duncan who? nonsense... At least Portillo makes an impression and people remember who he is...admittedly not always for the right reasons....
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: That two minutes would be the two that he isn't on chat shows.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of Rick Mercer from This Hour Has 22 Minutes, CBC Television:

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry. I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, first of all, a fifty-word-or-less treatise on the current state of the American political system:

Our two major parties are so emasculated by trying to appease each other to the point that their opposition won't block the legislature they want passed that nothing ends up really happening. Add to this the problem that career politicians are totally out of touch with both reality and real people. The only possible exception being Al Gore in his younger days. Now, I'm not so sure.

We need to stop electing politicians, and we need to take responsibility for our voting power. There are times that I really hate people...

In closing, there's a reason the two continents in this hemisphere are called "the Americas". We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own, from Cape Morris Jesup to this half on Antarctica. [Big Grin]

I don't want world domination -- just this side of it...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'cause this is my United States Of Whatever'

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

[Big Grin]
A comedy show over here had Dubya singing his own version of that song. Itwas fantastic [Big Grin] .

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some unknown indie band here sent a British version in to the radio station XFm. It was called "United Kingdom of Whenever." Sample verses went thus:

quote:
It's Sunday night and there's nothing on BBC2 but Snooker. I phone the BBC to ask what time the X-Files is on and they say "Whenever."
and

quote:
I see Ken Livingston and ask "Oi, Ken! As part of your Integrated Transport System for London, what time is the 38 bus to Clapham?" and he says "Whenever."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
People claim similar things over here, that the Conservatives are pretty much in the same place left/right as your Liberals. But it's not true in all cases, and the Conservatives are usually pushing right, while the Democrats are pushing left. Or something.

and the conservatives drive on the left side of the road too. figure _that_ out...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps