Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Beverages (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Beverages
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, not to sound totally insane regarding honey beverages, the ancient Russians drank many different honey beverages such as "perevar" and "braga" which were alcoholic (they also used molasses).

This might be interesting to note...there is a drink called mead, or honey wine, which is widely considered the world's first alcoholic drink first made by the ancient Greeks. This is the original "nectar of the gods."

Mead, in essence, is honey, water and yeast for fermentation, with spices and fruits often added for flavor variation. It is simpler to make than beer, and while meadmakers once had to boil the honey to sterilize it and wait up to two years for the product to age, mead can now be cold-filtered and can ferment in two to three months.

Im actually half tempted to try to make the stuff sometime.....  -

[ March 15, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey might go into mead, but that doesn't make it a beverage anymore than hops are, and I cannot believe we are having this discussion.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the most basic recipe of mead is honey, water and yeast, hops are optional. But in itself, honey is a unique substance, not quite fitting into other categories....

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point was that honey:mead::hops:beer.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey is not a beverage for my purposes. You do not sit down with a glass of honey at lunch.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, hot water with a mixture of honey is great for when you have a sore throat.

I mean you're counting tea and coffee as beverages, but you don't literally drink a glass of coffee beans or tea leaves, you drink their diffuse (can't think of a better word) counterparts.
I don't really see why the diffuse version of honey would be all that different.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if one was to drink honey in such a manner, it would qualify under the brewed beverages category, I suppose. Of course, since nobody actually does that except when they have a sore throat...

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

However, when all is said and done, pretty much everything is, chemically, little more than water and sugar anyway.

Alcohol is chemically just water and sugar; juices are little more water and suger; coffee/tea is little more than a rearrangement of water and sugar and nitrogen (addributed to the caffeine); soda/coke/pop/softdrinks are water (carbonated) and sugar; the list goes on and on.

So whether you are squeezing an apple; brewing beer or making a cup of coffeem, when it all comes down to it, technically the only distinction between most the majority of the listed beverages is in by which 'process' they are made or what food group from which the 'additive' is derived.

It's not worth debating....its Omega's paper so its really up to him. It should just be noted that the process and additive are the only distinctions in the majority of the instances listed.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Alcohol is chemically just water and sugar..."

Alcohol is as much sugar and water as a telephone is.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Chocolate Telephone?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yum!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

Actually, I've changed my topic. I'm focusing on milk now. Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has any suggestions on that topic, please, do tell. [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk, eh? I recommend conducting an in-depth study of the human mammary apparatus...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol has the same elements as sugar. Being Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen. but the way it is arranged makes it different. Alcohol is created through fermentation. AKA: anearobic respiration. In fact ethyl alcohol is produced in rising bread, but it evaporates when it's baked... And people think they never use biology. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol is composed of the same elements as sugar, yes. It is also made of the same elements as acetic acid, methanal, ether, etc. I don't think you'd want to drink any of those (well, maybe the acetic acid. But why you'd want to drink it is beyond me).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps