Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Technical help required (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Technical help required
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents just bought me a laptop and I'd like to transfer data from my PC to it. I've bought a data transfer cable, but got stuck after that.

I get the impression that the cable alone with some software setting up isn't enough - that I'll need to have network cards on both machines.

Is this true, or can I do the transfer with just the cable and if so - how?

(I've managed to do the transfer via CD-R's, but I'd prefer an easier way).

Cheers!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I don't have any idea what a data transfer cable is, so I can't help you there. The only way I transfer files from one computer to another is by using two network cards and a crossover patch. That's the only way I go when I need to move big files or a lot of files from one computer to another. It's pretty easy to do, actually.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear.

You don't need software, per se.

You don't need NICs, at all.

What you do need is one o' them good old-fashioned serial cables and two ports to plug it in.

(Take this crash-course in establishing a DCC. Please. [Smile] )

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd've been simpler with a Macintosh. [Razz]

Seriously, you probably do need to have network cards in both computers. The data transfer *has* to involve a connection between the two computers, and so they need to have some way of recognizing each other. After all, even just two computers connected to each other constitutes a network.

Is your data cable USB? Or Ethernet? (I don't think FireWire has come to Windows yet?)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search on data transfer cables, and I'll echo MinutiaeMan's question: what kind of cable is it? If it's a USB, serial, or parallel cable, then you won't need network cards. You'll just plug them into the proper ports on your computers and follow the software's instructions. If it's crossover network cord, then you're going to need network cards (but you won't need to install any software -- just the cards and their drivers).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serial to serial always worked for me, well, now USB to USB would be faster.

Aren't drivers software?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Well, yeah, but I was speaking of software in terms of applications.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drivers won't necessarily solve the problem. I'm pretty sure that drivers are intended mainly for a single computer to interface with various peripheral hardware. That's very different from a network card, which is needed to interface with another computer.

(This isn't a fully informed opinion here, but I'm pretty sure it works the same on Windows as on a Mac in that area.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two options I know about:

1) Cat5 crossover cable. Plug into both network jacks, set up Windows on both machines to give 'em IP addresses in the same neighborhood, share the data you want, mount the drive and you're off. You could do the same with a network hub and patch cables, of course, but you can get a 7' crossover for $5 at Circuit City. This also has the advantage of allowing you to set up briefcases, which let you keep your documents on both computers synchronized. It's what I do with my desktop, laptop and keychain.

2) Null modem cable in the serial ports. Then either download Stargate from download.com, or get some sort of... terminal program, is that the term? It's been a while since I had to do this. This way isn't pretty. The only real reason to do it is if you don't have network cards. Of course, the network card for your desktop can be had for way cheap, or even free right now at OfficeMax or thereabouts. (Always look in your Sunday paper for good deals.)

There's probably a USB solution, but I have no idea about that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the description:

PARALLEL DATA TRANSFER CABLE (1.8 METRES):
High speed file transfer cable for use with DOS or Windows 95/98 direct cable connection utility. Connects to any standard printer port. 5MB/min data transfer rate.

After just reading that little piece, do I need a direct cable connection utility or have I already got it?

WHAT THE HELL AM I TO DO!!!

Cheers!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

PS - My PC has WinMe and my laptop WinXp.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"WHAT THE HELL AM I TO DO!!!"

1) Shove one end of cable in desktop printer port
2) Shove other end of cable in laptop printer port
3) Fire up Programs\Accessories\Communications\Direct Cable Connection
4) Follow the wizard
5) Revel!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

6) Bang head on keyboard when above steps fail? [Razz]
7) Purchase Macintosh computer. [Big Grin]
8) In Finder, open menu item "Go -> Connect to Server." Select computer from list, input login name and password.
9) Watch the other computer appear on the desktop.

"My PC wasn't Plug-n-Play. It was Plug-n-Get-Mad." -- Janie Porche

Hmm? Don't mind me, I'm just going overboard with the Mac evangelism... [Wink]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Yes, just a little Mac evangelism. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My PC wasn't Plug-n-Play. It was Plug-n-Get-Mad."

"Your computer isn't hard to use. You're just incompetent."

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got your back, MM. Not to fan the flames or anything or to disturb any shit, but there are those among us who do know how to use a computer and use PCs on a farily regular basis and simply choose to use the Macintosh because we have made a personal choice about how we like to spend our time, and a big priority for us was how much we enjoy it when things are easy and user-friendly.

My G4 running OS X has been running for three weeks without a reset. I currently have IE, Eudora, Safari, iTunes (MP3), Photoshop, Illustrator, TextEdit, Toast, Preview (image viewer), BBEdit, and a couple of OS9 utilities running with the SETI@home screensaver popping on when I get up to use the bathroom or make a sandwich or whatever. In case you're not paying attention, that's kind of a stupid number of Apps to have open. You might assume that I'm an idiotic lazy redneck because I'm couriting danger. Except that it's bloody rock-steady and I'm totally not worried about it. I wanted to download some animated gifs from IE ( friend told me where to get them in an email), and so I opened the separate frames in Preview, washed them through Photoshop for color correction, dropped those frames into an Illustrator document along with some text (TextEdit) for the CD I'm burning in Toast. Also I wanted to listen to the White Stripes (on iTunes) while I was working on this. Also I wanted to poke my head up at Flare (which just renders better in Safari, I find) to make sure no one was slagging off Macs up there.

But so I'm so very not interested in starting a war of the OSes or a pissing contest of open apps (because I did open my 3D program briefly just to see if it would do it and it wasn't an issue) and I'm not saying the PC can't or wouldn't do this. I'm saying my Mac can and does and is doing it right now. It's a real OS and it's very powerful and worthy and cool and we happen to like it a lot and maybe other people might like it too, and they needn't be stupid or rednecks or lazy or anything.

(but since we don't have parallel printer ports akb's cable is useless to us, so we'd have to use our networking (wireless perhaps or using the built in Ethernet and a cross-over) or Firewire target disk mode (which is a stupidly fast and easy way to do things.))

(also for the sake of thoroughness, DAVE let's my Macs talk to my PCs and vice versa.)

(Please feel free to disregard this Mac evangelism moment and I did think the cartoon was funny.)

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps