Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Technical help required (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Technical help required
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my cat's breath smells like cat food
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go, banana!
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
my cat's breath smells like cat food
If you stop feeding it, that will go away.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, old discussion resurrection . . .

I've got a prob with Win XP - it won't let me:

a) save pics - they all come up as "untitled" and as only as bmp's when they're all jpeg's/jpg's. Why? [Confused]

b) Java links to open things in new windows don't work, like pictures and stuff. [Confused]

What gives? What setting has been messed with? How do I fix this?

Cheers in advance! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a) That's IE for you. It's always done this, occasionally, for me. Where an image is linked to directly, do right-click, save target as. . .

b) Assuming you're using IE, do you have an MSN or Google toolbar installed with a pop-up blocker?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] That was fast Lee! [Big Grin]

a) I do that but it still comes up as a bmp - but I just saved two pics and put ".jpg" at the end and it saved them as jpg's. [Confused]

b) No I don't have those.

c) New one here - I transfered all my files to an external hard drive and it kept asking me about some file called "thumbs" . . . Have I done something stupid by copying this file from "My Pictures"? Should that file remain in that folder? Should I put it back? [Confused]

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
c) The thumbs file - Thumbs.db? - is what is used when you have your folder view in XP set to Thumbnails. It saves the thumnails themselves for future viewing. If you try to view a folder of thumbnails on some sort of read-only media it'll let you, but won't save the results. And I've seen some strange errors some up to do with moving contents of such folders around as well. Just ignore it.

. . . and delete it from your external drive, you don't really need it. Move it back into My Pictures if you want.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May 2003 was totally the height of the Malcolm OSX craze.

As to that Explorer image problem: read this.

And you do have Javascript enabled, don't you?

akb1979
Member # 557

To the best of my knowledge Cartman yes - but how do I check to make extra sure. Oh and thanks for the link! [Smile]

Lee - you say to delete it from the external HDD? OK - it's you fault if things go wrong! HEHE! [Wink]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Well, it's over.

He went to the meeting, presented his case and then it was adjourned for about 20 mins. He then went back in and they told him that they would be taking it to the second stage of warning - i.e. his first written warning (verbal being the first). They factored in his good conduct to date and, from his impressions during the meetings, the fact that they can't 100% prove that it was him due to all that crappy software on the machine.

He's happy with this and has now left the company, being paid his notice period in lieu - his stress is finally over. He's sad to be leaving this way, but that's the way it is. He's gonna miss people there as they will miss him (all of them are disgusted at the way that he's been treated, but happy that he's happy with the outcome).

I have been asked to pass on his deepest thanks and appreciation to those of you who have helped with advice and technical and legal know-how and who have offered him support. So . . .

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

lol - posted that last post in the wrong one! Should have gone here: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/3488.html

LOL! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Next tech Q: my sister's new PC makes the phone ring when it disconnects - how do we stop this? [Confused]

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

What? I don't see how that's possible. Does it ring once, or repeatedly? Might it be something done by the ISP to signify the phone is now free? I sugest you contact them, or BT.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the other end is trying to reconnect to your computer but instead just picks up a phone and it rings?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

akb1979
Member # 557

It just rings the once, but it doesn't happen to my PC or my parents - we all use the same ISP.

Contact BT? OK. Any other ideas, like settings? [Confused]

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Maybe check the phone extension for her PC? I've seen some weird things happen from incorrectly-wired extensions, or faulty phone adapter plugs. . .

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps