Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Technical help required (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Technical help required
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ever hear the Tale of the Evangelist who preached Too Loud?

[ May 26, 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the cartoon was funny too. I can take a good ribbing on occasion. [Wink]

(And just for the record, OS X 10.2 includes full SAMBA compatability for normal networking between Windows and Mac.)

Last night I had a whole shitload of apps running:

Camino (a Mozilla flavor)
Mail
Palm Desktop
MSN Messenger
iTunes 4 -- *while* streaming some MP3's to my sister's computer on our home's wireless LAN
Dreamweaver MX
BBEdit
Transmit (FTP transfer)
Microsoft Word v.X
ScreenWriter 2000
Adobe Acrobat 5
SETI@home command line client (in background)

Now, folks, I'm running on a processor that's essentially 5-year-old technology. The G3/600 mHz is a relatively old processor technology -- heck, they're probably going to be announcing the G5 this summer -- and I've "only" got 384 MB of RAM, to boot!

Uhh... what were we talking about? [Wink] Oh yeah, networking.

Windows networking is fully built in to the current versions of OS X... link up the two with a cable, and you can transfer stuff as easily as between two Windows machines. (Of course, that's what you're having trouble with right now, isn't it? [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I bet your Mac can't run Deer Hunter 3: Rise of the Death Jeep.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is, why would I want to? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm afraid he's got us there. No Death Jeep. Or Darth Jeep for that matter. We're so hosed w/r/t games.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::sigh:: I miss my old Apple IIe. I had really cool games for it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

My primary school had an old Apple IIe... they had some incredible games back then. The one I remember best was called "Think Quick." No idea now what it was about, aside from running around in mazes trying to avoid day-glo worms... [Wink]

Yeah, I must admit that the gaming situation for Macs these days still sucks. Although I've heard that it's supposed to be a lot easier to port PC games to OS X than it was to the classic MacOS... but that's moot if the game publishers aren't willing to put the effort into getting it done.

Civilization III came out for the Mac "only" about one month behind the Windows release, but we're currently running a full patch behind the Win release (Win 1.29, Mac 1.21), and that Windows patch was posted about eight months ago. I'm playing CivIII with a beta version of the latest patch (Mac 1.29), which a generous soul over at the Mac porting company is writing in his spare time. The first CivIII expansion pack came out months ago with no committment to a Mac version (though it's been promised), and the SECOND pack was recently announced -- naturally, no promise of Mac support. [Roll Eyes]

Then there's SimCity 4 that recently came out. The minimum recommended system is the specs of a (portable) computer that came out only ONE YEAR AGO. (If it's a desktop model, it's up to two years. Whoopee! -- My dad's still using a five-year-old machine, and there's a ten-year-old machine in the basement that's probably still operable.) My 18-month-old iBook -- which was a middle-level model when I bought it, mind you, not the cheap end -- only has a quarter of the graphics memory that's "required" -- and I'm loathe to buy the game only to find out that playing it sucks on an older system.

On a more positive note, I *am* still able to play "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" on my current computer when I boot up Classic mode... that game NEVER gets old! [Wink]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't so much directing my comment as Mac users, as the whiny assholes in the Mac ads.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss my old Apple IIe. I had really cool games for it.

http://www.zophar.net/apple2.html

http://www.zophar.net/mac/apple2.html

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

link

Omega, those emulators for Mac you linked to are all at least three or four years out of date, and all of those would require booting up Classic, which is basically an OS 9 emulator for the older programs, inside OS X. Running an emulator inside another emulator isn't exactly a good idea. [Wink]

[ May 27, 2003, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, forgot that Zophar seems to suck lately. [Smile]

http://emulation.net/apple2/

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
"My PC wasn't Plug-n-Play. It was Plug-n-Get-Mad." -- Janie Porche

If you're going to quote a joke, please make sure it's funny. Or if you can't manage that, please make sure it works. Honestly, "play" becomes "get mad"? Even if it's the "there's no connection between the phrases hence there is shock value", it's still shitter than listening to whiny Mac wankfans going on and on about how their computers are so great and wonderful and give regular blow jobs and everything.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Uh, I presume you know what "Plug-n-Play" means, right?

Plug-n-Play: Connect a USB device to the computer, and have it instantly available for use.

Plug-n-Get-Mad: What happens when Plug-n-Play doesn't work. A frequent occurrence on many Windows machines, I'm told.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I might have considered getting a Mac for the blow jobs, but I have had experiences with them proving that the enjoyment of said blow jobs from the Macs are worse than just sticking your penis in a vacuum cleaner. In my experience, they've gone down more often than a crack whore but fall asleep once they get down there.

On the flip side, the only major problems I've ever had with Windows is the annoying Windows Messenger in XP Pro and a buggy version of Back-Up in Windows 95. Oh, and Paintbrush's color eraser would occassionally do funky things in Windows 3.11.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
I might have considered getting a Mac for the blow jobs...
I'm sorry, Sieggy, but I can't resist making that one my new sig! [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps