Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I may be going blind, but my prostate's healthy! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I may be going blind, but my prostate's healthy!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be ridiculous, cousin Nimmi. B)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Donut", at least referring to the baked good, is akin to such lovely words as "lite" and "Xtreme".
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thru.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americans are taking the English language by storm !!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking it from behind, more like. Up, as Tim would be wont to say, the A-R-S-E!

So, everyone prefers (and understands) the spelling 'doughnut?' Fine. I'd been under the impression 'donut' was the US spelling, and didn't want to call some clueless Yank a doughnut only for them to reply "Dude, what's a do-UGH-nut?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, I always thought that both spellings were acceptable -- I've used both. I'm sure that "doughnut" was the original spelling (incorporating the word "dough," of course). But of course, we Americans love to bastardize English any chance we get, just to annoy you Brits. [Razz]

There's a popular chain of stores on the east coast here called Dunkin' Donuts. Somehow I doubt that they're the origin of that spelling, but that's the most widely-known useage that I'm aware of.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I've even heard of Dunkin' Donuts. I even rejected the name 'Duncan' as a possibility for any future children because of it. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which brings us back to wanking and the complete and utter lack of girlfriendness in my immediate surroundings. Even more annoying because even my DOG had a holiday girlfriend. *shoots himself*

This man speaks the truth.

[ August 01, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, everyone prefers (and understands) the spelling 'doughnut?' Fine. I'd been under the impression 'donut' was the US spelling, and didn't want to call some clueless Yank a doughnut only for them to reply 'Dude, what's a do-UGH-nut?'"

Perhaps I should clarify. "Doughnut" is the correct spelling. "Donut", however, is so overused that there may well be plenty of people out there who really wouldn't recognize "doughnut" if they saw it. I was only speaking for myself before.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*yawn*

So, back to the topic, am I the only one who's ever heard of the surgeon general who was fired for suggesting masturbation as an alternative to abstinence?

--------------------
life creation in progress

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be Joycelyn Elders. She was appointed by President Clinton, who soon pressured her into resigning when he caved into pressure the Republicans were putting on him over the masturbation flap (they were already fuming about her pro-abortion and gay-friendly stances).

Linky goodness.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She also had these crazy ideas about everyone being nice to one another, the crazy witch.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
......And, in an absurd follow-up to this story, "Doonesbury" is going to be running a cartoon about this very issue this coming Sunday. Except that an unknown number of newspapers have decided not to run the comic because it's using the "m-word."

The "m-word"???

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really, really, REALLY contemn people who decide for me what I do and do not like & what I can and cannot read.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should read the dictionary.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps