Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Happy Independence Day! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Happy Independence Day!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as soon as Sol stops channelling Garrison Keillor, I think I'll be moving to his new country... :-)

------------------
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."
-John Lennon, "Imagine"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often such predictions are of a personal nature. So you may stump your toe on the 14th, but that will not impact the world, like Pakistan nuking New Delhi.

------------------
I was right in the middle of a gnikcuf reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of coarse, if Pakistan DOES nuke New Delhi, remember, you heard it frist from Cargile!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The cold war hasn't ended, in fact it's just beginning.. I tell thee.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should start a e-mail campaign to the government of Pakistan urging them to launch a nuclear strike against India.

------------------
I was right in the middle of a gnikcuf reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup:
Bonerland
Arsebiscuit
Clitpants
mojowojo
Titmouse
wengerbenger
tightlystrung
wobblycheeks
and the all powerful:
Fartland.

Now, I shall join my fellow UK'ers in throwing up and ignoring this thread for ever.

------------------
"Fool! I am Cher! Admired by millions for my couple of talents."
-The Brain

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Looks at Liam, little thing on front of mask opens and closes) (Vorlon Speak) Yes (leaves)

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh, caught out by the new pages system.

Those are the 9 new US states on that flag...

------------------
"Fool! I am Cher! Admired by millions for my couple of talents."
-The Brain

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH! I see the words to The Evil Song of Violence and Betrayal on this thread!

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Oh, what a nasty world we live in!

(duh)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saleel or anyone: What are the words to "God Save the Queen"? Because I SWEAR that that's the melody to "My Country 'Tis of Thee"...

"My country 'tis of thee
Sweet land of liberty
Of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died.
Land of the pilgrims' pride.
From every mountain side
Let freedom ring."

Maybe they set the American words to that British song.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did that to a lot of early songs. The "Star Spangled Banner" was set to the tune of a British drinking song.. I know not which.

In the Boy Scouts of America, the Order of the Arrow song is set to the tune of the old Russian Imperial Anthem.

etc, etc.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the COOLEST american patriotic song I've ever heard is still Metallica's "Don't Tread On Me."

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as long as we're talking about jingoistic melodies, I really liked the tune:

"Bomb, Bomb, Bomb,
Bomb, Bomb Iran!"

that was popular during the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979. I'm not particularly warlike (though I can be if necessary), but I guess it's because I like the Beachboys' tunes, even if they are just a bit before my time. (I was ~4 or 5 whe the Beachboys first became popular.)

--Baloo

------------------
"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, "America" was put to the exact music of "God Save the (insert current monarch's geneder-specific title here)". IIRC, the song from which the music of "The Star-Spangled Banner" was taken was called "To Anacreon in Heaven", though I never did bother to find out what an "Anacreon" is...

------------------
"Sometimes you really dig a girl the moment you kiss her,
And then you get distracted by her older sister..."
-The Lovin' Spoonful, "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps