Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Happy Independence Day! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Happy Independence Day!
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

You know, the Soviet national anthem is a really good piece of music. It's just the dubious nature of its background that's bad.

The melody of national anthems!!!! : (give me your opinion as well or else I'll look even more like a fool than I already do)

The British one's a bit boring

The American one is a good one

The German one is impressive

The Dutch one is monotonous and repetitive

The French one is good, but a bit too cute (really, believe me)

I heard the Israeli Nat An only once and I remember it made me fall asleep.

I don't even know the Belgian one..

The most awful Jingo song was Fuck Fuck Fuck Saddam Hussein. Anyone know it? I'm sorry about any profanity deemed superfluous by any easily offended members, but that's what the guy sang and it's what I decided to type here.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as just the melody to Evil Song X is good, I'll be content.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited July 13, 1999).]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Okay, let's do some flag waving:

PROUD TO BE DUTCH!
THE NETHERLANDS, THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

*cough cough* you didn't seriously think I'd mean such bullshit did you?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't knock it, RW. Lots of great stuff (and people) originated in the Netherlands.

------------------
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*notices that Baloo didn't actually give any examples*

j/k :-)

------------------
"I think, therefore I go fast. (Cogito ergo zoom)"
-Frank Gerratana, July 12, 1999

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
***PRETENDS to be a stereotypical American***

Well.. they got 'dem dikes... and windmills... and tulips... and the Hague.. and... um... the Zweederzee 'r sumpthin..

**ends redneck mode**

they've also got credit for Rembrandt, Hieronymus Bosch (my favorite), Anne Frank, Christian Huygens (think "Saturn"), Mata Hari, Jean Leuwenhock (which I probably spelled wrong), Spinoza, VanGogh, The guy who discovered Tasmania, and a bunch of other folks.

Of course, any country which can produce a ship designer like RW has at least one thing going for it.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, God Save the Queen is dull, and also falls down on
1/ A lot of people not believing in God
2/ A lot of people not believing in having a Queen.

Both Pomp & Cirmumstance no 1 (Land of Hope and Glory) and Rule Britannia are far better songs. P&C 1 is more moving, and emotional, and Rule Britannia has much more energy.

------------------
"Fool! I am Cher! Admired by millions for my couple of talents."
-The Brain

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the US has more windmills than Netherlands .

To First of Two: the Order of the Arrow has an Anthem, really, wow, I didn't know that. I never been in the order but I do know a few people who got kicked out .

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  1. What is the "Order of the Arrow"?

2. The vast majority of windmills in America are the "Grapes-of-Wrath" oversized-fan-on-metal-stilts or the high-tech power-generation kind.

Which reminds me to ask: RW, are windmills still in common use in the Netherlands? If so, are they mainly tourist attractions, power generation, or what?

If windmills were a reliable source of energy prior to the invention of electricity, I can imagine that there must be one or more wind farms in the Netherlands.

--Baloo

------------------
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always wondered where Dikes came from, originally.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*likes the fable of the boy who stuck his finger in a hole in a dike in order to save the village*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, make that mental image go away. . . �)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFLMAO!!!!!

It's a good thing I'm in a corner by myself here at work!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Uhm... You wouldn't happen to be laughing at the fable, would you? *confused*

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Egads! What have I done?

You sick, sick people!

I meant the the dry bank-like thing!

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps