Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Happy Independence Day! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Happy Independence Day!
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Phew, let me address everything in steps:

-Christiaan Huygens is with double a!

-Technically, Anne Frank was German!

-Jean Leuwenhock? Do you mean Antonie van Leeuwenhoek?

(ahn-tow-nee vahn lay-wun-hook)

-Van Gogh. Seperate. With guttural g's. Which I won't ask you to pronounce.

-the guy who discovered Tasmania was, not surprisingly, cold Abel Tasman.

-Windmills: They're now mostly converted to houses, part of national heritage, and/or tourist attractions. The majority was used to grind about everything looking remotely like grain. So, mostly bread industry, not power industry. The famous ones were used to pump water from lakes in the province of (then) Holland. The land thus gained is called polder. Yes, they're protected by dikes. Dykes. Whatever. Sometimes whole rows of them were used if the water had to be transported higher up than normal. Pretty good work for the 17th century.
There are some (generator) windmills (the ugly metal high ones) but they're not very common. The Netherlands being such a plain country, one would expect more, but it all has to do, I guess, with the abundant supply of methane gas as an energy source (and a relatively environment-friendly one at that too)

Dikes were originally built not along rivers, but at a 90 degree angle to stop the water flooding too far across the low grounds. Later techniques made it possible to construct the dikes as we know them today. The only problem I know of is once in a while, people drive off of them and roll over until they hit a cow. But hey, that's the price we pay. Reminds me, it's been almost four years since we were evacuated because of high water levels. I remember it even made it to CNN. The poor guy had to pronounce "the town of Ochten" and he did so quite admirably, I remember. I also have some vivid memories of the weird Japanese reporter screaming at the camera making strange gestures at the camera, trying to explain to the Japanese what was about to happen. And I laughed at the Americans who thought the entire country was about to flood :]

-Who invented the Hansje Brinker legend anyway? I believe it's purely American, it certainly isn't told here. Hm.

Reminds me of one awful thing the Dutch did. They caused the horror of Santa Claus.

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to Baloo: The Order of the Arrow is an organization in the Boy Scouts of America that is for the best and brightest (I guess I was never nommindeed to the organization), they have sort of secret histroy (at lest that what the folks in my troop told me) and I didn't know much about them. Of course later I learned that the biggest thing the Order did was go to the 5 week of Kia Kema (the local summer camp owned by the Chickasaw council) and clean up the camp. I really didn't get many details about them, but it sounded alright.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW: more history (sorta).

type=a>
  1. Is "Holland" a name used by the people there, or applied to it by foreigners.

2. You implied that "Holland" is an obsolete term. When did this change, why and how?

Thanks.

--Baloo

------------------
"Someday your ship will come in...and you'll be at the airport "
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember my geography correctly, "Holland" is the name of two western provinces (appropriately named "North Holland" and "South Holland") along the coast. To my knowledge, the natives call their country "Nederland", but I could be wrong...

------------------
"I think, therefore I go fast. (Cogito ergo zoom)"
-Frank Gerratana, July 12, 1999

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was Nederlands...

Ooh, the Order of the Arrow is similar to the Order of the Bat'leth.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to Elim: "Order of the Bat'leth", Huh, I don't get it, please explain.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Order of the Bat'leth was the most elite of all Klingons in DS9's "Apocalypse Rising". All they did was do very little, and get inducted.

Sounds similar to the Order of the Arrow.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The current provinces of South and North Holland, or, in Dutch terms, Zuid- and Noord-Holland, are roughly the area formerly called Holland. This was the richest of the 7 provinces united, (I believe, but history isn't as important here as in the US) in 1579 (union of Utrecht against the Spanish) and it is from Holland the merchant ships sailed and innocent people were oppressed in colonies, a practice which didn't stop until 1975 with the independence of Suriname. (yes, we still have the antilles but at least we don't extort them anymore) (Currently there are 12 provinces, one of which is completely artificial)

The Dutch refer to themselves as Nederlander (plural Nederlanders) and to The Netherlands as Nederland. The language is called Nederlands. Holland is used mainly on trucks and containers and such (the poor people in Panama or something wouldn't know where the ship that says "Nederland" comes from :]) and it's also used sentimentally, or in a flippant way. Only rarely is Nederland called by the plural name "de Nederlanden" (this is mostly done in official documents, like on passports, and in titles like "Beatrix, koningin der Nederlanden" which, of course, means "Beatrix, queen of the Netherlands) And no, Beatrix is not at all a common name here, before you ask. But neither is my name. Or my last name, which is very rare indeed (if I meet another Warrink, I can be dead certain he's related to me)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whaddaya know... I was right! *L*

------------------
"We both said 'I really love you.' The Shriners loaned us cars. We raced up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times."
-They Might Be Giants, "She's an Angel"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

TSN, amazing!

------------------

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My online character was inducted into the Order of the Bat'leth.... *L*

------------------
I'm you're only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really i'm not actually a friend, but I am.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW, I am from Batavia, and the local museum is called the "Holland Land Office" because of its Dutch entrepreneurs who was given the surrounding land to develop it. I heard that "Batavia" comes from Batavi, which is Dutch. Care to give me some more info on the origins of "Batavi"?

------------------
"I do whatever the voice of Charles Capps tells me to do."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Jubilee McGann, elite Klingon warrior. Grrrr!

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps