Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!!
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, following the trend here in America of laying off thousands of workers and sending thier jobs over to China do you think NASA will follow and outsource all space flight operations to China?

Discuss.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that - but congratulations to them - for joining the Space Community - which in the final analysis is much more significant that joining the Nuclear Club.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's Blofeld and his secret volcano lair when you need him?

Grab that capsule, it's payback time! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outsourcing to China -- interesting idea. [Wink]

I somehow doubt that China can do the same jobs much cheaper, though. At least, not any time within the next decade or two. The best idea would be something equivalent if ISA/IASA or whatever you want to call it. But China's entry into the manned space age doesn't add much hope for that, considering their characteristic extreme paranoia.

IIRC, even the Soviets didn't have their space program permanently under the command of the military, right?

After quoting the brief mention last night, CNN published an entire article about Wan Hu, the first Chinese taikonaut (in the 1500's). Although common wisdom suggests that the gunpowder rockets simply obliterated Mr. Wan, it's also possible, IMO, that the explosion formed some sort of Kerr loop of superstring material, creating a temporal rift that sent Wan and his primitive spacecraft into another time... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is intresting. Being that USA and USSR have done most of the pioneer work, how soon do you think until they put up a small space-station?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that the space race starts up again... :-)

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shenzhou 5 has landed safely. Yay for them.

There are articles online already for and against a renewed space race - check space.com and CNN.com. Personally I'm in favor of it, for a lot of good can come from it. But the days of the cold war are far behind us, and diplomacy has pretty well ensured that a US/China encounter will not happen. I hope that at the least, we get some definitive cooperation in space.

The Chinese seem intent on a space station and then a moon landing within fifteen years. I certainly hope so - and then after that, a cooperative mission to Mars with the rest of the space community. Hopefully some of us will still be around to appreciate it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Chinese know what's good for them, they'll stay away from Europa!

Seriously, congrats to Yang Liwei and the Chinese space program!

By the way, has any seen any good closeups of those mission patches?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's China's space agency patch. I wonder if there are Trek fans in China.  -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope Viacom's lawyers don't learn about this...

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Pontiac's.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the UN's.
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any particular reason why the letters aren't Chinese?

And presumably they stand for Chinese National Space Agency, which makes even less sense...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, anyone want to guess what direction China will take with her space program? A space station? The moon?

How about the US; will this spur a new space race?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a thought. While starting projects with the other countries to build a better space station and generally cooperating, they could get rid of their oppressive, counterproductive communist regime.

Still, one out of two would be enough. [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps