Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!!
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, okay as long as that is settled....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between an airburst and a meteor that explodes in the lower atmosphere before impact? Because that's what I thought the Tunguska disaster was, an exploding meteor...

I was just trying to sound cool and use the word 'airburst'. I'd heard or read some pretty solid sounding theories (too lit to look it up at this point (cheers, Mic!)) that it was a meteorite or comet that exploded several hundred feet above ground (knocking down all the timber) and therefore didn't dig too deep a trench or leave a big incriminatingly smoldering hunk of iron slag or whatever. But it could have been a Ferengi black hole for all I know.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
But imagine if the Chinese put up a big, cheap, working space station while the abandoned ISS burns down through the atmosphere. That might attract more attention.

This will happen. Sooner than you think.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, you sound very definite about that. You're not a member of the Politburo are you? [Razz]
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He just knows that this is a lame assed attempt to bolster public opinion about space exploration and is, by it very nature, doomed to burn in a toxic soup of an atmosphere created by the very launch vehicles that took it up.....

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Sol System: Why do you say that the Chinese space flight didn't generate a lot of media attention?
Here it was headline news, on the front page of every major newspaper and a main feature on TV. But of course this is just in backward old Europe...

Oh, I forgot, in the US attention is only paid to really important news like a new Wal-mart store opening in Wisconsin or like the Baseball results or Hillary Clinton's new book... Ack!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

shallow, fat, lazy, narrow minded.... America, the beautiful....

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:

Oh, I forgot, in the US attention is only paid to really important news like a new Wal-mart store opening in Wisconsin or like the Baseball results or Hillary Clinton's new book... Ack!

Lets not forget the fucking Kobe Bryant case! Gotta give extensive coverage! And the Peterson Case! WOOHOO! Cover THAT too! And we have to have our daily dose of "Why President-God Bush The All Powerful Was Right To Conqure Iraq" followed by some dribble about the fact that even though we continue to loose jobs at an accelerated rate to China the economy is recovering! (vomit)

This is why I don't watch the World News anymore. I read the news paper. That way I can skip the bull.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phase One: Mention wife in every post. Complete.
Phase Two: Mention manufacturing empire in every post. Complete.
Phase Three: Mention supposed job emigration to China in every post. In Progress.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Ever compare the time it takes to fuel, launch, boost, cruise, and re-enter a ballistic missile to the time it takes for a "meteor" to fall?

That's true, except for the fact that an asteroid is already traveling at a significantly greater speed relative to the Earth. I would suspect that it might not have quite the same amount of kinetic energy as something that orbits the sun every few years.
Not if the asteroid is already in Earth orbit. see the aforementioned Asteroid Tug. Grab a small NEA, drag it into orbit, break it up (while extracting valuable minerals without despoiling native panda habitat), and bingo; an arsenal of GPS-targetable kinetic weapons orbiting the earth.
quote:

However, I'm not sure if the kinetic impacts from missile-sized objects would really create the same kind of devastation. Scientists believe that the relatively famous asteroid that impacted in Siberia in 1908 was about 40 meters across, and had a force of about 10 megatons -- that's pretty massive, and unless it were compacted it wouldn't even fit into the space shuttle's cargo bay.

The meteor which carved out Barringer Crater was 150 feet across, weighed roughly 300,000 tons, and was traveling at a speed of 40,000 miles per hour. The force generated by its impact was equal to the explosion of 20 million tons of TNT.

So...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool.
About time someone got off their ass and got something to act as a deterrence.
We do know that they're planning on it and that they'll get there before the the States right? Sweet.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Phase Three: Mention supposed job emigration to China in every post. In Progress.

Are you saying Sty is full of himself????

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

Hmmm... I can think of several posts where I didn't mention any of these things. So I guess that just proves once again that UM is a moron.

Brace yourself Ultra: My wife and I are having an interview at our factory about job-losses to China. No I'm not yanking your chain, the Rochester Journal of Industry wants to print my views on the situation.

Sad thing is no one seems to care much, but they sure bitch and moan when the cheap chineese imports they demand (at SUCH LOW COST! LOOK AT THE LOW COST! ITS SO LOW COST! IT SAVES MONEY!) fail or are imperfect in some way.

Try getting satisfaction from a company in mainland China.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the supermarket the other day to get a carton of milk. While I was waiting in line, I happened to find out that I too can lose weight without exercising and that Cher and Michael jackson are aliens from outer space. It had to be true because they interviewed a guy with a big pitchfork and a Ford pickup. Then I found that Elvis was still alive and then I was sad.

link

[ October 22, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I wonder what it said before the edit????

The pricing is every thing.... THe boat parts I used to sell came from China, bought for US$1.169 and sold for US$1.52, while the Made in America ones cost us $2.45.... Qualtiy was about equal, set screws were meteric, but we sent 3mm hex drivers along for free... and only a few of the people ordering the parts complained....

China is a growing market, for both buy and selling, heck, where do you think the dollar stores get there stuff. Buy for .15 and sell for 1.00, great mark up....

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps