Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Chinaaaaaaa In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!!!!!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subtext: No-one had to worry about this as long as only God's Own Country could afford to go into space.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Countertext: We didn't do it. Doesn't mean they won't.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this novel too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Put a targeting camera and a boost engine on a VW-sized chuck of rock, and You've got something with the impact power of an atomic bomb, but with no radiation and a much smaller window of opportunity to intercept.
I must contemplate this tactical application, over an exquisite glass of Brivari.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Put a targeting camera and a boost engine on a VW-sized chuck of rock, and You've got something with the impact power of an atomic bomb, but with no radiation and a much smaller window of opportunity to intercept.

Ick! I suppose it'd be all the more reason to hurry that asteroid tug. I expect it'd be a lot easier to make an asteroid avoid a target than it would be to have it his a specific mark. "Uh, it seems there has been a slight miscalculation. Remember that embarrasing little problem with the SARS epidemic? Well the upside is that we're probably never going to have to worry about that area ever again."

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Ever compare the time it takes to fuel, launch, boost, cruise, and re-enter a ballistic missile to the time it takes for a "meteor" to fall?

That's true, except for the fact that an asteroid is already traveling at a significantly greater speed relative to the Earth. I would suspect that it might not have quite the same amount of kinetic energy as something that orbits the sun every few years.

I think the only real difference would be between not arming the warhead and just having it plummet to the surface, or having the nuke explode a mile up in the air and spread a lot more devastation (and radiation).

However, I'm not sure if the kinetic impacts from missile-sized objects would really create the same kind of devastation. Scientists believe that the relatively famous asteroid that impacted in Siberia in 1908 was about 40 meters across, and had a force of about 10 megatons -- that's pretty massive, and unless it were compacted it wouldn't even fit into the space shuttle's cargo bay.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were fairly sure Tunguska was an airburst.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a crater is was hard to tell.....

I read a theory that it could have been a black hole passing through....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if you could only make the meteor's mass go critical just prior to impact....hmmmm...possibilities.

The Tunguska destruction was caused by UFO's, ghosts, a mummy's curse, crop circles, voo-doo and the Yeti.
I saw it throughly "investigated" on sci-fi channel, so it must be true.
Lee Majors said so.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If China were asked to help with the ISS would they be able to help with the short comings that have developed???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China has tried to become a part of that program, and has been rebuffed over fears that assisting the Chinese space program would directly or indirectly help improve their ballistic missiles.

Recent events make the prospect of keeping the Chinese out of orbit by not letting them pay for our space station increasingly old fashioned and laughable, so we might see this policy changed once the next NASA budget comes up. On the other hand, the media coverage of their spaceflight shows just how passe and boring putting people into near-earth orbit is. But imagine if the Chinese put up a big, cheap, working space station while the abandoned ISS burns down through the atmosphere. That might attract more attention. But then, despite its failure at building a useful space station, there are all sorts of benefits from being a part of the ISS program, learning how to avoid its flaws perhaps chief among them.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...once the next NASA budget comes up."

Assuming it does...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
I thought they were fairly sure Tunguska was an airburst.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between an airburst and a meteor that explodes in the lower atmosphere before impact? Because that's what I thought the Tunguska disaster was, an exploding meteor...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought it was a ferengi shuttle that had a warp core breach after a temporal anomaly formed in its drive system
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got drunk, posted twice, see all the details on tomorrows eyewitness newz, yo
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps