Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I also got my dream job. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I also got my dream job.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not exactly. I'm currently doing first line tech support for IBM, which is a start, but not a "dream".

However, I have also done a couple of reviews for PC Format. I did Lords of the Realm 3, which they must have hated, as 3 months later they made me review Myst IV. Obviously not the highest standard of games, so I assumed I would have to spend a while playing the dregs before getting anything good.

So I was surprised when, during an email conversation with the editor about what information my invoices needed, he asked me if i was free to do a bit of freelance work that needed to be done quickly. I said I was interested, and asked what it was.

He wants me to write a walkthrough. For a little book that'll come with the magazine. "Essentially", he said "we'd be paying you to play Half-Life 2".

I paused. "Half-Life 2?", I said.

"Yup. We need you to play through the game, and write a walkthrough. We'll give you the official one in case you get stuck. And a copy of the game, obviously."

Again, I paused. "So this is going to be a proper walkthrough. To go in a book. That comes with the magazine. For Half-Life 2."

"Yup."

I mulled over it for a bit, and then accepted the offer. And then put the phone down. And then booked Monday off of work. And then passed out.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad England had to go. Ah well. -Fire at will, commander.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some sort of video game, right?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way this would of been cooler is if it was Halo 2.

hehehe.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... Half-Life and Halo aren't the same thing? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myst IV is not the highest standard of games? Myst series is rather popular last I checked, is the new one not doing as well?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pft. If it takes those shoddy mag editors as long to publish your walkthrough as it took them to publish your reviews, we'll be lucky if chapter one is up before Half-Life 3 hits the shelves.

Also, I hate you and hope you contract writer's block.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Myst IV is not the highest standard of games? Myst series is rather popular last I checked, is the new one not doing as well?

I wasn't talking in terms of popularity. I was talking in terms of actually being a fun game with fun elements that are fun. (Although I did try and do something different from the standard "reviewers hate Myst, people buy it, reviewers get angry" review.) The review for that one is in the current issue, which I haven't bought yet due to not being able to afford it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, you know, being a game instead of a slideshow for people to show off their brand new CD-ROMs and OH MAN isn't 1996 AWESOME have you played THE SEVENTH GUEST yet you TOTALLY better check it out UH OH MELROSE IS ON.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Well, exactly. Myst-slagging has been done to death, so I tried to be a bit more open.

Still poo, though. Just not quite as bad poo as I thought it would be.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The realMyst edition was great, I have never felt so free in a fantasy environment, my gf also liked it at the time.
We played it together, although I'd already finished it earlier so I had to keep my trap shut. She finished it without my help, though.

Ass you, Liam, for drop-kicking me down memory lane.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Well, it's your fault for liking Myst. I bet you also watched Sex & the City and convinced yourself it was a good programme. Didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

If I ever saw those babylon harlots during their lunchbreak I'd kick their table over, light ceasar sallads and dildos flying all over the place. Mr Big I would shove up his own ass, along with his Mercedes carkeys. Then I'd ask if he's always wearing lipstick due to his having lady lips, like John DeLancie. The muffled response would satisfy me to no end.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

So you did watch it, then?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

I'm not on trial here!
And I don't belong to the demography of superficial, pseudofeminist/promiscuous urban females, so I pretty much did the opposite of watching it, that is not watching it.

Now please, hand me the blue page, just one more page, I need the page.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps