Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How often do you update your Flare profile? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: How often do you update your Flare profile?
missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I always imagined his name pronounced:

Silly-I-am

When I first saw it, I thought of assylum... or rather sylum without the a. If that makes any sense.

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam is a play on his major and his first name. At least it was some time ago. It could be "psychotic Liam" after all the years he's had to deal with us.

Liam, I've always thought "Liam" was pronounced "lee-im", how close is that to the real pronounciation?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jason" loses all meaning when spelled improperly.

Yes, like most words that are spelled improperly. Take a number, Jhole.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother wanted my name to be spelt Kristopher. Luckily, my dad intervened, and my name uses the traditional spelling. My sister, though, is stuck with Jaime and forever having to correct people.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, my name is Kristofer, with a "K" and an "f." And it was my dad's idea, and being an atheist I'm glad to have gained a small measure of distance from the "Carrier of Christ" meaning of the name.

However, a friend of mine's name is spelled Kristofor, with an "o," which I think is taking things a bit too far.

Incidentally, I also recently updated the picture in my flare profile. But it still does not accurately reflect my current appearance. At the moment I have a lot more hair, both on my head and my face... [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Originally, I was supposed to be Austin, Jr. My dad killed that idea fairly quickly for some reason. Then came Kristopher and, ultimately, Christopher.

Kristoffer is another variation I've seen as well. But isn't "Kristo-" actually going back to the way "Christ" was spelt in antiquity?

I think we need to liven your profile up a bit. You've had "Well, gee...um...let's see...STAR TREK!!!" in there forever. We need to trim that down to Star Trek and add in stuff like "reinventing the wheel", "experimenting on lab rats", "stealing fortune cookies", and "plotting the downfall of McDonalds". You know, stuff that says, "I mock you, profile reader!"

missmanners
Member # 1523

- posted      Profile for missmanners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for obvious reasons I don't think I'll get too specific here, but when I had my name listed in the phone directory when I moved here, I told them I wanted it listed under my middle name and gave a Klingon name. I think I have the only Klingon name in three states.

[Smile]
mm

--------------------
To live is to war with trolls.~ Henrik Ibsen

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming Liam doesn't pronounce his name some weird way, it would be like "lee-um", except then "ee" and "uh" sounds are run together so it's more like one syllable.

I'm pretty sure there are some languages where the native spelling of "Christopher" involves a 'k' and/or 'f'. But I don't know about "Jaime". Unless she pronounces it "zhem" and tells people it's French for "I love".

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

You've seriously never met anyone named Jaime? It's pronounced the same way as Jamie. I've known at least five Jaimes (excluding my sister).

Jaime is also the Spanish spelling of the name, but in Spanish it's pronounced "high-may".

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin is named Jaime... does that count?

quote:
Like how "Michael" means "strength of God", Liam means "cheese eater" and Tim means "dickweed".
And "Nino" means little boy in Spanish while being a Filipino Catholic version of Jesus.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Originally, I was supposed to be Austin, Jr. My dad killed that idea fairly quickly for some reason. Then came Kristopher and, ultimately, Christopher.

So your dad first of all stopped you being called "Jr", and then prevented your name from being spelt in a silly way. He is my hero. We should loan him out to all stupid families that want to saddle their kids with names like "Jaason".

Odd spellings of names always strike me as people (or rather, their parents) trying to be "different" without putting any effort in. Like crazy hair and lip piercings, the novelty quickly wears off. But I am old and grumpy.

Anyway, Tim is right, it's pronounced "Lee-um". It can be shortened to "Lee", but for some reason the only people who do are my parents and their friends. And it means "protector", I think.

I'm constantly getting my surname spelt wrong though. And pronounced wrong. Woe is my life.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Like how "Michael" means "strength of God", Liam means "cheese eater" and Tim means "dickweed". [Big Grin]

Does that make Tim Michael... "dick cheese eater"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, no. It would make him "Dick strength of God".

Which can't be bad, can it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops Tim Liam rather "Dick Cheese Eater" [Wink]

+5 Dick Strength? What D&D game is that!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, stuff that says, "I mock you, profile reader!"

One person doing that every month (I'm looking at you, Simon) is quite enough, thank you.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps