Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Love that new car smell. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Love that new car smell.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$2.05 a gallon! Try �3.45 (and thats in U.S. gallons, as in 3.79 litres) and thats if it's cheap!

At the moment (6pm 24 nov. 05), it's 1.7218:1 $:�, so thats $5.94 a gallon.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas is $2.39 here in Fort Laudredale.

That's a biiig deop from the $3.15 it was pre-hurricane Wilma

[ November 24, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A screaming Lovecraftian [/URL] Toyota ad.
home.comcast.net/~thewoozle/photos/toyota_bait.mpeg

Man, that's funny. [Cool]

[ November 25, 2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple more smaller photos...

-  -
 -  -
 -  -

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOA might be more interested in this set up...

Pioneer DEH-P9600MP deck I'm saving up for along with Alpine Type-S speakers. The Type-R seems to put out more power, but I was told Type-S would work fine.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now all you need is a sweeping red light installed in front grille [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That deck is a good one, but in all honesty, the Pioneer DEH-P8600 is better quality, easier to use, and a LOT cheaper. I believe it's $100 - $150 less. The DEH-8600 is what we put in my boyfriend's truck, and it's awesome.... it's actually the same deck that every manager at the Car Toys here has, too. And most of them started with the 9600 and downgraded because the 8600 performed better.

You can get what you want, but that's my experience with the deck.... I'd get the 8600 if I were you.

Also, be careful with Alpine products.... two years ago, I'd have told you they were some of the best on the market. But that was two years ago, before they sold out to Best Buy. Since the sell ou, quality control has gone WAY down, performance has gone WAY down, and the number of problems had has gone WAY up. Now, they're not going to tell you that at Best Buy, because it's still their "flagship" product, or some shit like that, but seriously, I wouldn't touch Alpine anymore.

I have always had the higest end alpine deck in my vehicles.... and I always loved them. 'Til I got my current one last January. It's CRAP. Not the Alpine quality of the past, not at all. I can't wait to get rid of it and replace it with something else... maybe something reliable?

If you're looking for a decent speaker, I'd recommend going with JL Audio. Also, the Eclipse PointSource speakers are AMAZING, but a little pricier than the regular Eclipse speakers. And if cost is an issue, and you want something realy in expensive but still with awesome sound, especially in the mid range, I'd honestly recommend the MTX TDX line of speakers. I shit you not - they are around $100 a pair, and they blow every other speaker I've heard in the price range, and even a lot of the more expensive ones Out Of The Water. They were my top selling speaker in Anchorage, and I sold them happily every time. Not once did I have a customer complain about them. Not. Once.

Awesome speakers.

But make sure you get the newer model ones... they're silver looking on the cone with a rubber surround, not foam. Great speakers.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth... take it or leave it... you need to have the system that you're the most happy with, and I know that sometimes I've made decisions against everyon elses advice... but I always regretted it in the long run - keep that in mind [Wink]

Good luck and happy shopping!!! If you need any other help, PLEASE let me know! I'm always available to talk stereo... oh, and are you getting a sub at all? If you are, I've got tons of advice there, too [Smile]

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Car died last week.

Wouldn't start after I left work. Had it towed where I got bad news and more bad news.

Bad news #1: he found the source of the antifreeze leak, a warped head gasket. Cost to repair: $650.

Bad news #2: the car needs a new fuel pump. Cost to repair: $870.

So here I am trying to find a new car. I did narrow down the search to a Hyundai Accent, a Nissan Sentra, and a Pontiac Pursuit. So far, the Accent is the front runner, here in Canada, the base model costs $13,000. Apparently, they are also doing a promotion that has no financing rate. So no interest.

Interesting. What do you think?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad your car didn't die when the employee pricing thing was still going on...

A friend of mine just bought a Toyota Yaris. I think they're pretty cheap...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Hobbes
Member # 138

I'd go with Sentra out of those choices. I would never own a Hyundai.

--------------------

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.... the Hyundai will be trouble, and it's VERY unsafe.... the Sentra is a lot more reliable, and a bit safer... and I'd never own a pontiac because they are a pain in the ASS to ever modify if you need to. Let me emphasize Pain In The Ass.

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

How about a Ford Focus or a Saturn Ion? I'm not a HUGE fan of either of them, but they're low cost and fairly realiable.....

I know a few people with each of them, and they like the cars... Just a thought... but I still like the sentra better than either of them... I'm just trying to save you a couple bucks if I can :-)

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't looked at the Focus or the Ion yet. My dad has insisted that Fords are of very low quality. Not sure about Saturn.

I have looked at reviews for the 2006 Accent, and every one says that the redesign has actually improved the car quite a bit, in terms of safety, performance, and comfort. The only downsides is that the smaller tires make handling a bit squirrely, and that the manual transmission is not good for this type of vehicle.

Then again, user experiences are the best indicator. I know someone who just bought one, maybe she can tell me how it is like.

In any case, the Hyundai is the only car that I can readily afford. With all other cars I will have to look at leasing, on my current budget. The Sentra has the cheapest lease deal after the Hyundai, and my father readily endorses Pontiac given that he has been a loyal GM driver for more than 15 years.

The problem I have with the Yaris (aka Echo) is that the car is only $1000 cheaper than the Corolla, and that it also loses alot of power compared to the Corolla. Fuel consumption is about the same so I am wondering why not get the Corolla. Unfortunately, the Corolla is pretty much out of my price category (with their financing or leasing rates).....

[ December 04, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Okay, well what about the chevy Aveo? You said your dad is a GM fan, so he'd probably approve of that, and the price for it is about the same as the Accent, it seems...

And honestly, I'd own a Chevy before a Hyundai....

I've REALLY only heard Hyundai horror stories... no sense buying a new car if it's going to be nothing but trouble...

And also, have you thought about getting a used car? It sounds like you're only looking at new, but if you go newer used (2003, 2004) then you'll be able to possibly get a lower milage car in good shape that is possibly a lot nicer than what you're looking at... it's just a thought... lease returns are usually a good choice 'cause they have low miles and people tend to take better care of them....

Anyway, good luck with the car shopping. And remember: Don't pay more than you want. If the dealership is playing hardball, then walk away. Act like you don't want the car (even if you do) and you'll be suprised what will happen... usually they'll call you back a few days or even hours later and offer you the world on a platter. Just don't let them get to ya....

~LOA

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try going for a 98-02 Civic. Those are great cars.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps