Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Love that new car smell. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Love that new car smell.
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are great cars, I agree....

Also, you mentioned the Corolla... maybe you can afford a used one? I don't know what they're going for in your area, but it could be an option for ya....

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about an Impreza?

The only okay Hyundai would be the Tiburon, looks nice and has a lot of aftermarket.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subies tend to be pretty expensive, even used.... I think cost is a huge factor here, and with a car like a Subaru, the resale value is higher, and it's going to be tough to find one as inexpensive as an Accent... [Razz]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with the Aveo is space. I tend to lug a lot of things around with me and the Aveo and the Pontiac Wave are very small hatchbacks. One look and I knew that it would not fit my needs. Even the sales rep wouldn't recommend the Aveo or the Wave. Then there are the financing and leasing rates, GM requires 3.8%.

There are a lot of used cars out there, most of them in very good condition, but they are going for at least $10K. Which means I also have to go for financing, and for used cars, they go up to 8%.

What makes the Accent so attractive to me is that they have a promotion on calling for 0% financing if I pay it off in 4 years. In other words, why not shell out a bit more for a brand new car instead of something that has already been put through its paces by a previous owner? And if I go for the Aveo or the Wave, the payments will be much higher.

Really, the car I want is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (dunno if they are still making them). Of course, I'd have to pay insane amounts of monthly payments to pay for that thing...... And you're right, cost is the major factor for me at this point. But yes, I don't want a lemon. I guess the best thing to do is to see what my friend thinks about it, after all, nothing beats a customer's experience.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're still making the Eclipse. Mitsubishi recently changed the design.

4th generation Eclipse...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

Okay, so I've been starting to have a change of mind for CD deck...

CDA-9855 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver

� 50W MAX x 4 High Power Amplifier
� 3 PreOuts (4V)
� SwingFace GlideTouch Mechanism
� SAT Radio Ready
� Ready for iPod�
� Bass Engine Pro�
- 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
- 6-Position HP/LP Digital Crossover
-Subwoofer Level Control
-Subwoofer Phase Selector
-Bass Focus
� 5-Band Digital Parametric Equalizer
� 3- Way or 2-Way Digital Channel Crossover
� Media Xpander�
� CD-R/RW Playback
� MP3/WMA Decoder/Playback
� MP3 Text Information Display
� QuickSearch Function (MP3 Files)
� CD Text, CD Text Display, CD Text Scroll
� CD Shuttle Control Function
� Versatile-Link� Ready
� MaxTune SQ Tuner
� Regulated 1-Bit DAC
� Wireless Remote Control Included
� OEM Steering Remote Ready
� Detachable Trim Plate
� Anti-Theft Detachable Front Panel

I can get it for $285, plus it's green... well the one in the store is green, this pic is blue, so at least it will match my gauge cluster, AC controls and other interior lights.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Money for stereos is money I don't have... I bought a single CD HU for $20 from a friend and I just bought a 10CD changer for $60... Both Kenwood. Plus all the speakers I've put in my truck were given to me (it didn't come with speakers stock). For now I need to spend my money on mechanical bits; shiny stereos can come later.

That said, I would have to say that that stereo is pretty shiny.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

No, no, no, no and no.

Oh... did I mention no?

Do not buy an Alpine. Do. Not.

I say this from experience..... I have a 9835 in my car right now, and I HATE it. Alpine went WAY down hill after they were picked up by Best Buy. It's a matter of supply and demand - the demand was higher, so the quality contgrols that used to be in place were thrown to the wayside, and it shows. Anyone who has owned an Alpined pre-Best Buy probably loves it. I always did, as this is the 4 Alpine I've owned. But when I got this last one (the 9835) I was warned... they told me not to buy it at Car Toys. They told me everything I just told you now, and more. They told me I'd hate it. They told me Alpine wasn't the same anyhmore. And I didn't believe them, so I bought it anyway.

I've hated it ever since.

By hate, I mean HATE.

First of all, Alpines are VERY user unfriendly.... now, to give them some credit, once you get to know how they work, they're pretty easy to use... but that requires several hours with your owners manual to get there.

The Alpine EQ is fussy... it's difficult to customize, as are the crossovers.

My 9835 loses its setting all the time... this is a common problem, I'm told. So every time it "forgets" it's memory, I have to sit outside for another 45-60 minutes reprogramming the EQ and crossovers. It's ridiculous.

The sound quality is not nearly as good now. It REALLY isn't. The 4V output they advertise is actually closer to 2.7V. Trust me, I used to sell this shit.

The time correction is neat, but difficult to program properly.

The "Glide Touch" mechanism is just a bunch of "Ooh, ahh" effect shit that REALLY only equals one more thing that can (and will) break. I can't even tell you how many complaints I've heard already about that mechanism going bad...

Being SAT ready is nice, but the Alpine tuner is not nearly as nice as some of the other ones... Kenwood and Pioneer BOTH get better reception for the satellite radio than my Alpine does.

Media Xpander is really just a bunch of hoopla for people who don't know what music SHOULD sound like and are just looking for noise... don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, but it just doesn't quite work the way it's supposed to with all files.

I could go one about this for days, but I'm not going to... trust me though, and I'm speaking from experiance, Alpine is NOT what it used to be, and it's heartbreaking. It really is, but the fact remains, the only reason they're still selling as well as they are is because the Alpine name is still well known for quality... it's only been about 2 years that they've been going downhill, so the old timers, like myself, are still thinking that Alpine is "bad ass" like in the good ol' days... but 5 minutes with one of the new decks, and even the most die hard fan can tell that things have changed, and not for the better.

Honestly, I say go with the Pioneer over the Alpine. But I'd go with the DEH8600, instead.... easier to use and better sound quality. You'll be very happy with that deck... i know a TON of people who have it (my boyfriend one of them!) and it's an amazing deck.

Otherwise, if you can find and Eclipse that meets your fancy, go for that. It's going to give you the cleanest sound on the market, though not the greatest looks.

Or you can do what I'm doing.... wait until March when the new products come out and PRAY that something better is on the market. I've been wanting a new deck since about 2 days after I got this one, but there's not a thing on the market that pleases me fully. The closest thing is the DEH8600, but I don't like the color of it.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Don't worry, it was free this time. Let me know if you have any other questions. Ultimately, you need to get what will make you happy, but I'm VERY concerned that Alpine will not be the right product for you.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...buy Alpine?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
Member # 138

Well that sucks.

I was talking with the car audio department supervisor at Best Buy about the 9855, told him what you told me. His opinion is Alpine has and still is the greatest. Also the only thing he would put in his car. Of course you expect him to say that, he works there and wants to sell it. He use to work at Circuit City and ever since Alpine left them they've been trying to bad mouth the product to customers that come into their store.

So I've got him saying yes and you saying no. You know way more about car audio than anyone I know. My next step is look online at customer reviews. Then compare them with reviews of the Pioneer DEH-P9600MP. Visually the Alpine would match the interior of my car better and the Pioneer is a lot flashier and you can't help but notice it.

Unfortunately Comcast crashed (I hate their cable service .. and for some odd reason I can't access any websites except Flare when it happens) while at Google searching the Pioneer (oddly most crashes occur when at Google). I found a few good reviews on Alpine and a few bad reviews as well. I was only able to see a couple reviews at one site for the Pioneer but almost everyone loves it.

My last deck was Pioneer, I liked it so I'm still leaning towards them. Right now I'll just have to keep researching.

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you summed up LOA's post for me Jason - I hate reading long posts.

Alpine it is - I'll get two.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Lean towards Pioneer.... keep leaning! I'm saying it 'cause I want you to be happy. And I know that the Alpine is pretty... it's SOOOO pretty! I totally understand what you're saying, but I've really been so unhappy with mine that it's ridiculous... if you wanna go Alpine, find a used one... like the 9815! That was, in my opinion, the last good Alpine deck.... :-P

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are Kenwood decks? Not that I really care, seeing as how I've paid $80 for the capacity to have 11 CDs, but...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Kenwood is decent..... I'd say they're sturdy and reliable, and as far as features vs. looks, they're a pretty good combination of the two. :-)

I've never actually owned one myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about them and very few bad things. So for what that's worth.... I say go for it :-)

--------------------

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Hobbes~

I went ahead and asked some professional opinions for you :-) This message came from Mark, the install manager that there stereo shop I worked at in Anchorage. He is one of less than 100 MECP First Class Certified installers in the country. And he is by far the most talented installer I've ever met - here is his take on your predicament. I haven't edited anything, except some minor typos - he's one of the most intelligent people I know, but he can't spell worth a damn. Truly amazing... [Razz]

"Pioneer is the better line this year, Alpine still sucks and Best Buy boys are no talent ass clowns, with small dicks. You can quote me on that. Next years line-up (for Pioneer) is way strong and will be good competition for Eclipse. Alpine is now on the same level as Rockford decks, my favorite - NOT. Well, the only other decks that might come to mind are some of the Kenwood ones. A couple of their decks this year aren't that bad.

loveulongtime

M "

BTW - any time a product is compared to Rockford Fosgate, that is a Very Bad Thing. Pretty much, the worst. Rockford was another Best Buy sell-out, and all they create is shit now.

Anyway, maybe this'll help you, maybe not... but good luck and happy shopping!!! [Smile]

~LOA

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps