Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've Been In The Hospital (Page 36)

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  43  44  45   
Author Topic: I've Been In The Hospital
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this something that's been tried before? Or is ths new?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New, all of it.

I've used "cousins" of some of the meds, but not this specific coctail, and I've never paired the meds up in an IV infusion.

I think that's what made the difference.

I did have to go off of the compazine already though... I kept losing control of all of my facial muscles, and the doc at the ER said it was the compazine. So much for a 100% miracle... but it was still nice to have a day with no head pain.

Today I'm at a 3, but that's still not bad. As long as I can stay at a 5 or less, I can function. Whew!

~Liz

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping something long-term can come of this. I'd like to see you able to drive, work, and go to school without having to manage stupid amounts of pain. *hug*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz, that's great news about something working for you (even if it's temporary).
Now you know the combo to ask for if it gets really bad again and you find yourself at the E.R.-
Maybe ask that doctor to write-up the exact doseages just in case you need to explain it to some other doctor in an emergency.

What happened with your facial muscles exactly? You could not move them or they twitched or something?

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Get a trash bag and some duct tape. Maybe put a hand towel under the tape to catch any water that tries to seep through. Worked for me when I broke my arm a long time ago.

Yeah, I was doing that when I had the materials to change the dressing at my home- since I dont, and getting the dressing wet would seriously comprimise the wound (it'd be days before I could get to the doctor's again) I'll have to make do.

I am planning on wrapping it in plastic-wrap and rubberbands just before my doctor's visit though.
I'm going to ask the nurse that really likes me for some of the Aplicoat next time I see her- she sometimes makes me a little "care package" -with my doctor's approval- usually several hundred bucks worth of dressing suppies
!
Over the counter, the Aplicoat and Aquacel AG alone would run about $800 a month if I bought them myself- kinda understandable as they're nade from silver, but waaay beyond mt paycheck's neager capabilities. [Eek!]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz, this might be silly - but I was just wondering... do you thing the fluid top-up helped as well?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the fluid helped so much... I didn't seem to be dehydrated, and I had to get up and go to the bathroom more that night than ever before!!!

As for the question about the facial muscles, it was actually rather amusing, until it got scary.

I had two cycles through this saga - it started when my jaw clenched suddenly, and I began to have a hard time breathing. I couldn't open my mouth though, because I had no control. Then, my lips started to pucker out, and I looked absolutely ridiculous, but there was nothing I could do about it. Talking was impossible, and I just had to wait it out. Then, the jaw loosened, and I could talk for a few minutes, but with a horrid lisp, and my voice was really high. It was bizzare. It was like my tongue was too big for my mouth or something. Then my jaw got stuck in the "open" position, my lips curled over my teeth, and my tongue came out of my mouth, and I couldn't breathe again.

The first cycle of this "fun" laster 3 hours total, but I was home alone, and I didn't know what was going on, so I didn't call for help.

The second cycle hit RIGHT after Scott got home. We laughed about it at first, because I looked (and sounded) so ridiculous, but then it got REALLY bad cause I couldn't breathe. I think I started to panic at that point, which made it worse.

Scott called the pharmacy first, and they said it was either the compazine or my topamax. They told Scott to call the ER and talk to the doc that saw me, or get me in there immediately, if my BP kept rising (I really think that was from me panicking though.)

When Scott called the ER, the doc said it was the compazine for sure, told me to discontinue it and take some Benedryl ASAP. Not and easy feat when one's jaw is stuck in the open position and swallowing is almost impossible. But we got through.

That cycle, while it was scarier than the first, by far, only lasted 1.5 hours total.

I haven't had a problem since, except my jaw is just a bit sore today... it was open WIDE - like, imagine being at the widest point of your yawn, and then getting stuck. That's where I was at.

*shrug* So now I know - Compazine + Liz = Halloween looking faces [Razz]

~Liz

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's sooo many sex jokes I'm refraining from just now....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Scott actually went there and MADE those jokes while we were dealing with this "situation".... I think he was trying to calm me down. Instead, I thought about punching him [Razz]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been given something called rizatriptan (oral lyophilisates) for my headaches. Haven't tried it yet, supposed to take one when I feel it coming on.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Ah, yes... Rizatriptan... here in the states, it's called Maxalt.

Didn't work for me. None of the Triptans have, except Frova - and that's been hit and miss.

However, most people with migraines (80% or so) ARE able to get phenomenal relief from a triptan taken at the onset of the pain...

Good luck with that!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...things are not getting better and my "normal" pain level has increased upward from 2 to a 4 (of a possible 10).
So my doctor decreed two things if I am to continue being his paitent:

Firstly- no more marathon overnight shifts where I'm on my feet for 13-16 hours without a break.

And I have to go into the Hospital for seven days for I.V. antibiotics with my leg in a sling or seriously elevated.

Buh.

So, I'm hospital bound next Monday for a week: I'll catch up on my reading and the hospital rooms are private (no roomate nonsense) and they have cable with HBO, so it's not going to be awful...
But I'll be cooped up with a needle in my arm for a whole week.

Ug.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Liz another headache thing - a person in another forum I visit has had bad, bad headaches all her life - she was recently diagnosed with hydrocephaly - a build up of her cerebro-spinal fluid which was building up around her brain creating pressure. I think that is what she was talking about - have you ever been checked for this?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, ask them if you can bulid while you're in there.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Rizatriptan seems to do the trick. Only taken it twice, and felt rather odd for the first hour or so, but after that, no headache. I was a bit concerned about going to the pub with my boss this lunchtime, but I stuck to cider and seem to have avoided passing out.

So, the heart operation's on. We have a choice between pig's valve (lasts ten years, then needs replacement) and metal valve (lasts a lifetime or about 40 years depending who you ask, you have to take warfarin, yes, rat poison, to thin your blood, so no safe pregnancies). Well, it's her choice, my suggestion is we, well, she take the ten-year one and see what miracles medical science has performed by then.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sound idea. Hope all goes well.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  43  44  45   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps