Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've Been In The Hospital (Page 35)

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  43  44  45   
Author Topic: I've Been In The Hospital
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think he should have the leg off. We need a pirate around here.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a show in Discovery Health where they successfully grafted a cadaver hand to a dude that lost his hand 14 years ago. Now he has a hand again! Don't know how easy it would be to graft a cadaver leg, though...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... both of those ideas scare me deeply.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the other day that some chemical from pig guts was able to help this man regrow his thumb. You not Jewish or Muslim Jason, so I think you'll no problem.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not particularly religous- the Apligraph already bonded to my leg made from foreskin materials, I believe.
(and yes, my leg grows twice as long when some pretty woman walks by)

The next amazing medical treatment for me will be Platlet Gel- they'll draw off a pint or so of my blood, seperate the red cells from the plasma and white cells and make a spray that will be the wound's dressing base- the gel has lots of "growth factors" kind of like stem cells and is supposedly the next big thing in wound care.

The cool "cadaver hand" bit is a tad extreme- I get the idea they were just proving a point that it was possible and not so much trying to offer hope to amputees. PLus, that guy's got to be under direct doctor's supervision forever to prevent rejection- mega drugs and so on.
I bet they got funding to continue research though.

As to the possibility of losing my leg, yeah, it's a real risk that the stump would never heal either (assumining this is an auto-immune reaction and not some localized mystery pathogen thing).
Which would mean no "pirate" gags or even the spooky artificial legs I decided to torture myself by looking at a few days ago.

I cant imagine wanting to live in a wheelchair, frankly, so I'm going with whatever they'll attempt.
(rollin' with the punches)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Presently 193 lbs., and fairly stable. I expect that to drop a bit as I finish weaning off the prednisone. 4.5mg/day now, and still dropping weekly. I should have pictures to post soon.

Jonah, how you handling the reduction in Prednisone?
I was at 4.5mg daily and it was hell getting off- I'd be moving like an old man for the first few hours of the day each time the doseage was lowered.
It's been about a month for you, so I figure you're almost off them by now...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prednisone makes me mean. And fat.

One time I was on it for a migraine spell, and my roommates kicked me out - they sent me to AK until I was off of it. Quite simply, they told me, I either needed to leave, or they would kill me.

And it was justified. I. Was. A. Bitch.

So I called my doctor as my roommates drove me to the airport and told him that, once again, the Prednisone needed to go. It wasn't helping my headaches anyway. We tapered me off quickly, and I was able to keep my friends. It was a story with a happy ending. Yay.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mywife usesagnesium from time to time to help her eal with her migraines

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agnesium

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay~

I just got some new information today about a magnesium IV Infusion that I want to try.

It's been a bad day. It'll probably end with a night at the ER. I'll ask for magnesium there.

~Liz

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Taking the whole "Flare" thing a tad literal, dont you think?

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it- I went to the Doc's again today and they say it's "looking better" but no real progress is evident, aside from it not hurting much.
Itches like fuck under all the dressings though!

Jay, how you holdng up? The Alberto Gonzales barbeque must have lightened your spirits today: I found it hilarious- 76 instances of "I dont recall" in one congressional hearing- probably a new world's record.
And an official Republican call for him to step down!
I was on the 'ol Prednisoe for almost two years- I was a fun manager to have at work, in retrospect.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, My weight's not too different, but I'm down to 3mg, stepping to 2.5 on Sunday. Nothing noticable, except that I've lost another inch off my waist.

I hope the itching means it's actually starting to heal -- that's what I know that sensation to be, anyway.

Liz... I want you to stop hurting.

And Jay, pester for something to block the neural cell growth inhibitor, so you can regrow the good stuff they had to cut out.. I'm glad you're still fighting, though. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The itching means it's itching- more the non-affected area around the wound actually.
Imagine a really thick, knee-high sock that you can never remove except at the doctor's office.

Man, I'd kill for a real shower- it's been more than a week now, and the whole "clean up with a rag" routine is not in any way refreshing.

Glad you're not suffering the strange "old man" withdrawl I went through with Prednisone- that was a drag.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a trash bag and some duct tape. Maybe put a hand towel under the tape to catch any water that tries to seep through. Worked for me when I broke my arm a long time ago.
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

Last night, Scott took me to the ER when he got home from work, and I actually got some wonderful care. It was impressive... the doctor was a bit cocky, but he immediately took action, so I'll let that go :-)

He gave me an IV infusion of compazine, decadron, toradol, benedryl, and a bag of fluids, and it made an amazing difference in my head pain. By the time I left the ER an hour later, I'd gone from a 10 to a 2. Praise the Lord!

Today, I'm feeling even better, so I'm guessing the steroid is kicking in.

Furthermore, he sent me home with a 5 day course of compazine, prednisone, and benedryl so I can keep up on the maintenance and better ensure that the pain doesn't come back right away. I feel so much better! I'm glad I took the risk of going to the ER - it was the right decision to make :-)

That's my newest update!

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  43  44  45   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps