Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Galactic Perspective (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Galactic Perspective
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this quite interesting. Galactic Perspective

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I've seen it before, it's amazing.

There's also this (don't worry it's not a joke).

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. I don't understand those who think we could be the only intelligent life in the galaxy, or even the universe.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who goes to school at a Bible college which promotes Young Earth Creationism. There was a guy who did a presentation similar to this, showing the incredible vastness and variety of the universe.

And his conclusion was that since Mankind is the only life in the universe, God created all that just to show His Own Majesty.

So God's an arrogant dick I guess...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your friend seems to want to limit God's power, while thinking he knows God's plan, and place human kind on a pedestal of some biblical sort.

For those that believe in God that would be a narrow minded thing to do. To bad religion seems to be a cause of, and not a cure for, narrow minded people.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which was what I was *trying* to say [Wink] Incidentally my friend isn't a YEC herself, which got her into a shouting match with one of her professors. However it's pretty easy to see that YEC is based on fear. A little cozy cosmology with order and safety and a comprehensible divine being who is rather like a stern father figure. It's a bit puke-ish to me.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First link doesn't work. Tracked down the moved blog but the pictures don't work.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have that last pic in wallpaper size?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Here yeh go.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, you rule.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

No prob...I knew what the image was called (the Hubble Ultra Deep Field) so google was my friend.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a cool documentary (an adaptation of a book) called "Privileged Planet". While pointing out the vastness and wonder of the universe, it makes some really neat observations about the Earth's location and other aspects of its construction that make it ideal for observing the rest of the universe from its surface. Almost like someone wanted the people living here to be able to learn about everything else. It's actually a really cool documentary whether you belive in a divine being or not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like someone's drunk the Cool-Aid...

Actually I remember seeing somewhere that it's good that our solar system has gas giants. Not only do they look cool, they also indirectly protect Earth from asteroids as their gravitation pull makes them more susceptible to asteroid collisions than our little blue planet.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Doesn't every system have gas giants? Certainly everything we've discovered so far. Also I don't see how Earth is particularly special in observing the universe....I mean it's finite but unbounded, the universe that is, so anywhere you stand you can see everywhere else.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And an airless planet would be better for observing the universe. Less light scatter during the day and less atmosphere shimmer at night. The best observing we've been able to do so far has been from a telescope we've put in space -- i.e. off the frikkin' planet. [Roll Eyes]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps