Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Galactic Perspective (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Galactic Perspective
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Dan, I wouldn't know. I slept through church most times. Now, my family is fearful that they will be hit by lightning if I go anywhere near a church. They must think my head will light aflame. I personally think that a tiny little candle flame will pop out of my head in a commical fashion. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Morgan Freeman will show up and give you a "Special" job for a day.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm...
If only...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend: Uh...you do realize that these people believe alien souls that were frozen, taken to earth on DC-10s with rocket engines, thrown into volcanoes, and forced to watch violent movies until they were confused and lost their identity...are the reason for all of the problems in the world? And that that was all made up by a science fiction author who once said the real way to make money was to start your own religion? I mean that's not "out there" and "misunerstood," that's frakkin' insane.

Hey, what stuff written about him centuries later? I was only aware of the one account, what was his name, ehhh, a Greek historian who wrote about him like 50 years after he died. If there's more I'd be interested in reading it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're thinking of Josephus. Who was Jewish, not Greek.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have more respect for Scientology if they didn't basically charge people for worshiping. Also, although I know other religions have wrought suffering and death upon people, Scientology is a modern religion which seems to miss the age old lesson that if you want to save people it's best not to kill them.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or leave them to be eaten by roaches in a dark room.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Reverend: Uh...you do realize that these people believe alien souls that were frozen, taken to earth on DC-10s with rocket engines, thrown into volcanoes, and forced to watch violent movies until they were confused and lost their identity...are the reason for all of the problems in the world? And that that was all made up by a science fiction author who once said the real way to make money was to start your own religion? I mean that's not "out there" and "misunerstood," that's frakkin' insane.

Honestly, no, I didn't know that's what they believe but to be honest, from my perspective it's just as valid as most religious myths, from Hindu, to Christianity, Oglala Sioux to Shinto. They all have some weird ideas.
With Scientology we know it was made up because it was done within living memory. The old religions have just been around so long we can comfortably call most of the weird stuff metaphor.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the New Testament accounts were written within several decades of Jesus' death. The last of the Gospels was written about 80 years after died. Likewise, all of the letters were written within the first century C.E.

I'm sure there are tons of writings about early Christianity from various sources that were written "centuries" after Jesus died. But nothing from the Bible canon was written that late.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I was under the impression that they had trouble finding any original manuscripts that date from that time, most of the one's claiming to be from Christ's lifetime were either copies or translations of copies. I do have a vague memory of someone thinking they've proven at least one of the dead sea scrolls was written before or just after the crucifixion. Perhaps I'm just misremembering.
Either way I don't deny the existence or the intentions of the historical Jesus (or whatever his real name was exactly) I just don't trust the motivations of the church that built itself around him.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best lie is the one closest to the truth. The church was never intended to be the "Organization" that it has been made into. That is the machinations of man. The church was to be the collective body of believers that were to come together in their faith for worship, fellowship, and meeting each others needs. To say the least, this has been corrupted by men who sought control and power but clothed themselves with the trappings of false righteousness rather than the jack-boot approach.

The book of James says: Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. Doesn't seem to be the emphasis today does it?

[ April 11, 2008, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: WizArtist II ]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Nope. But doesn't that raise the sticky question of why God would allow his church to become so corrupted?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Q: Why dose God allow [INSERT EVIL HERE] to happen?
A: Free will.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like Yahweh is a big DICK.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

This has confused me for some time;

Is Jesus God? I know he was the son of mary who was impregnated by God, but is he God?

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps