Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Stupidity and the Freedom of Speech (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Stupidity and the Freedom of Speech
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A lawyer was arrested late Monday and charged with trespassing at a public mall in the state of New York after refusing to take off a T-shirt advocating peace that he had just purchased at the mall."

Full story at Reuters.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's going to be openings for two securiy guards down at the mall.
....seems like a good position for facists and those rejected from military service. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Downs is the director of the Albany Office of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, which investigates complaints of misconduct against judges and can admonish, censure or remove judges found to have engaged in misconduct.

Bet he wins in court!

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and here comes the punchline: link

[ March 05, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
War is good for business.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peace is good for business. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit Topher! You posted at the same time as me with the same comment!!! [Big Grin]
What if they had shirts saying: "Give War a Chance"?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
There's going to be openings for two securiy guards down at the mall.
....seems like a good position for facists and those rejected from military service. [Wink]

It doesn't look like it's going to happen. Judging by the fact that he has been arraigned and there will be a trial, it looks like this incident is going to be "overlooked" in the name of "civil liberties". Mall management seems to be unrepentant in this matter.

[ March 05, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee... Why am I not surprized?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

As the Patriot Act comes to a mall near you!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see how disagreement is handled in the land of the free.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm disappointed. Even Reuters aren't reliable anymore. According to the complaint and police reports, it wasn't the shirts, but rather a report that Downs and his son were bothering customers, which prompted the guards to act. Now, granted, I still have a problem w/ the fact that the shirts were brought into it at all. The guards should have told the men to stop bugging customers, not to remove their shirts. However, I'm also bothered by the fact that the media couldn't be bothered to report this rather important bit of the story.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Read the part about "Alligations of Fact".
THe complaint is in essense the Plaintif's side of a case and can say any outlandishthing it wants.
I'd like to see affidavits from the customers that were supposedly "bothered".
This could just be the mall's way of covering it's ass.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"received complaints that they were stopping other shoppers"

Well, the shirt itself, if it was in big bold letters, could be a shopper stopper by itself.

"Officer, that shirt the man is wearing is just plain disgusting. I want that shirt gone NOW!!!"

But yes, it is a one-sided complaint so far.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Jason: I was referring more to the police reports than the complaint.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps